Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 - Knocking sound between 1800 and 2300 rpm ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Ultra_RB
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
Sounds like the compensator maybe ?
Honestly I don't know what a compensator problem would sound like so have no clue on that one ...

Old 08-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_RB
Yup, that's it ... not the normal ignition knock you would hear with fuel of low octane it is a deeper knock and as I say seems to be coming from the heads ... for me it is 18-2300, when hot and under 30%+ load, you especially hear it going uphill. It doesn't sound like something catastrophic is about to happen, just an annoyance really. I'm relieved to hear that others have the same sound, so if it is a problem then a lot of us have it.
This may be what I am hearing on my 18 RGU. It sounds like a tapping, rocker arm noise, most noticeable around 2000-21000rpm. It is very noticeable at that rpm. It sounds like a valve is out of adjustment or a bad lifter. If I park in the garage to try to locate it, I don't hear it, go figure.

The following 2 users liked this post by Timberwolf2017:
bigal51 (03-26-2022), Ultra_RB (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:34 PM
Ultra_RB
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017
This may be what I am hearing on my 18 RGU. It sounds like a tapping, rocker arm noise, most noticeable around 2000-21000rpm. It is very noticeable at that rpm. It sounds like a valve is out of adjustment or a bad lifter. If I park in the garage to try to locate it, I don't hear it, go figure.
Yes, exactly ...

Old 08-12-2018, 05:37 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Would changing to a fuel with higher (or lower) octane rating make a difference? I believe the lower the octane the faster the fuel ignition but please correct me if I am wrong. I know HD recommends 91 octane and that is what I use, but in Canada we also have 94 octane in addition to 87 and 89 ... next tank I think I will give something diff a go just to see if there is a difference ... or, would the ECM just adjust for the different timing?
Simply put, the higher the octane rating, the more resistant to knocking. If your issue is knock, going lower would aggravate the condition, while raising the number would reduce it. Rather than go lower, I’d try a couple of tanks of octane enhancer. The bottles can be had at most parts stores and should make a change in what your hearing, IF it’s knock related.

I dont think you’re hearing valve train noise, because to date I don’t think anything like that has been documented here. You’ve got a 2 year warranty anyway, so if in doubt about anything just enjoy the ride. If it gets worse have the dealer address it or at least have them document the concern. One thing I did was yanked the spark plug boots to insert some silicone/dielectric grease in them. Only reason was to make ‘em easier to remove on down the road. I also repositioned a couple of the wires because they were already showing rub spots. Any rub through can affect what the ECM is seeing, so inspect those also.

Max Headflow is a pretty savvy contributor here, so you may also consider what he recommended re: shimming the compensator. For now I’d tweak the fuel source and play around with the octane, and get more involved if nothing changes what you’re hearing.

The following users liked this post:
Ultra_RB (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

While it could be the comp, if its more thock sound instead of a tick or pink, it could be simply be a sound coming from the intake/throttle body like others have said. It brings up the question as to what were all the engine mods including air cleaner and exhaust system. Generally from what I've seen the intake thock usually requires a intake / exhaust and cam change to happen. My stage 2 17RK doesn't do it but that is not to say someone else's won't.

The following users liked this post:
Ultra_RB (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Max, in his first post he states that the noise was there prior to the stage one mod. That’s why I don’t believe that’s what he’s hearing.

That said, anything’s possible

Old 08-12-2018, 05:22 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Max, in his first post he states that the noise was there prior to the stage one mod. That’s why I don’t believe that’s what he’s hearing.

That said, anything’s possible
It's definitely a stretch,, Usually you need a cam with some overlap. The stock and SE stage 2 cams really don't have any.. Also the stock AC is typically very good at blocking noise. I've read that some of the throttle by wire bikes can have a tic that is caused by the throttle blade stepper but I've not heard it. I know many hear think that dealerships are don't know **** from shinola but I would go ask then what they think. I've found that some HD motors can be nice and quiet while others are noisy. It's simply the fact that some part is a little loose but still in spec. Bike will still go 100K.. It simply rattles a little.

I've seen lifters rattle that in the RPM range but he says it don't sound like a lifter. A loose side small end of the rod or loose piston clearances can also make a noise in that range. My guess on the comp is a possibility but it could definitely be something else.

Heck it it don't change with temps, it might simply be something on the motor hitting the frame..

Old 11-21-2018, 05:29 PM
Fordo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
I think I know what knock you're talking about, OP, and it isn't ignition knock. Ignition knock is something else and sounds completely different. What OP hears, and what I also hear on my 2018 RGU, is a deeper knock more akin to wood blocks clacking together. It is most noticeable when under light throttle load while the motor is in the 2k to 3k rpm range. It isn't a pleasant noise, but it is a common motor noise. I've heard it before with other engines, including in-line fours, Goldwings, and Japanese V-twins.

How I experience this noise depends on whether or not I'm wearing earplugs (I almost always do wear earplugs), the traffic around me, my mood, distractions, and probably other ambient factors. Mostly, I don't notice it at all. I try not to. I do best when I keep my head in the ride and not pay attention to all the noises that big motor is making, while it works two feet away from my ears. I think earplugs make this noise more noticeable, because my foam earplugs tend to strip out clicky and windy noises but leave behind lower pitched clacky noises. Fairing type I think has a lot to do with how we hear the noises.
Yup, that's it ... not the normal ignition knock you would hear with fuel of low octane it is a deeper knock and as I say seems to be coming from the heads ... for me it is 18-2300, when hot and under 30%+ load, you especially hear it going uphill. It doesn't sound like something catastrophic is about to happen, just an annoyance really. I'm relieved to hear that others have the same sound, so if it is a problem then a lot of us have it.
Yes my M8 ultra limited twin cooled does exactly that. From day one and its now done 8000klm. Between 2000 and 2800 rpm under less than 30% load. Clacking like two blocks of wood bashing together. Its not really a metallic sound knock.
must be normal for all M8s.
im using 100 octane fuel. But does it on any octane feul.
silent when cold.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:32 PM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Hopefully you got some answers to your issue. I have yet to experience any kind of abnormal engine noise below 1200 rpm. You still have warranty, let GAK figure it out. These M8 engines are so smooth compared to any previous V-twin I have ridden at any rpm.

Last edited by Warrant; 11-21-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Fordo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Warrant
Hopefully you got some answers to your issue. I have yet to experience any kind of abnormal engine noise below 1200 rpm. You still have warranty, let GAK figure it out. These M8 engines are so smooth compared to any previous V-twin I have ridden at any rpm.
Yes I think its the normal sound as its the first harley ive owned. Last bike a 2009 motoguzzi 1200 vtwin sport.
others seem to have the same noise so its nothing to worry about. If i had loud pipes you would not hear it. It runs smooth at all rpm even when making the noise. Its silent under acceleration and when its cold.
I have 6 months warrantee left on the 2 year warrantee.

Quick Reply: M8 - Knocking sound between 1800 and 2300 rpm ...