Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can an EPA compliant SE Tuner tune an aftermarket cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 03:44 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
didn't stonecold's and steve cole's cam test thread include one of the SE cams in their comparisons?
I don't believe they did, because they don't sell it?

Old 08-13-2018, 03:53 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes300
I don't believe they did, because they don't sell it?
Ok let me look that up for you to make sure what they tested. Had nothing to do with whether they sell it or not.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...m-testing.html

Old 08-13-2018, 03:56 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

so then no one has? everyone just right off says no, yet no one has tried? I'd actually be interested in the results, seem many very high performance cars have no issues meeting the current EPA restrictions....
If you re read my comment. I didn't say no right off. I said it might work, but would be VERY restrictive compared to aftermarket non EPA compliant tuners. Therefore IMO would be a waste of money in the context of whether your warranty was voided or not. Aftermarket cam already voids the warranty, so why not get your money's worth out of a 400 dollar tuner.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:58 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok let me look that up for you to make sure what they tested. Had nothing to do with whether they sell it or not.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...m-testing.html
I did looked they do not list anything but the bone stock bikes on their website.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:05 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

If you re read my comment. I didn't say no right off. I said it might work, but would be VERY restrictive compared to aftermarket non EPA compliant tuners. Therefore IMO would be a waste of money in the context of whether your warranty was voided or not. Aftermarket cam already voids the warranty, so why not get your money's worth out of a 400 dollar tuner.
oh ya i understand and agree, it would just be interesting to see just how much the SERT handicaps us

Old 08-13-2018, 04:11 PM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

In the $tonecold and Steve Cole cam test thread they do test the SE Power Cam

Old 08-13-2018, 06:22 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,226 Likes on 1,267 Posts

oh ya i understand and agree, it would just be interesting to see just how much the SERT handicaps us
The only point of reference I have for you is PuttNutt24's bike. He had the SE447 cam installed, and had a Bassani 2-1 exhaust on it. The stock Harley Stage II shows 100 HP/120 TQ. Bob Lobenberg tuned that bike using a TTS and found another 10 HP and another 10 ft/lbs. The overall chart was a huge improvement.

But that's not a fair/direct comparison because of the exhaust; the SE tuner didn't have a base map.with a comparable exhaust.

I would love to see a good tuner take an existing EPA-compliant SE stage-equipped.bike, and show us how much more can be gotten out of a full tune! The day my warranty is over, I plan an doing that, but I would sure like to know if we are looking at 2 HP or 20 HP gains from the tune!

Last edited by FatBob2018; 08-13-2018 at 06:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FatBob2018:
04ctd (08-13-2018), Puttnutt24 (05-26-2023)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

When most of us talk about cams and tuning we are still living in the memories of our Twin Cams. The TC was noticeably hobbled by the factory tune and a lot more was left on the table. These M8s are far more efficient and better running to begin with. They are no longer overly lean from the factory. It’s part of the reason the stage 1 makes a remarkably smaller difference than years prior. So, while you can absolutely get more out of aftermarket parts and tune, the SE safe option is not the same depressing choice it once was.

If you’re trying to keep your extended warranty intact, the SE cams/tuner will 100% put a smile on your face. Sure it leaves a little out, but it’s not junk. It’s a decent compromise compared to years past. When your warranty runs out down the road you’ll be ready for a bump maybe...go aftermarket then and get a second “new bike” smile out of your paid off M8. Just a suggestion.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:06 AM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
When most of us talk about cams and tuning we are still living in the memories of our Twin Cams. The TC was noticeably hobbled by the factory tune and a lot more was left on the table. These M8s are far more efficient and better running to begin with. They are no longer overly lean from the factory. It’s part of the reason the stage 1 makes a remarkably smaller difference than years prior. So, while you can absolutely get more out of aftermarket parts and tune, the SE safe option is not the same depressing choice it once was.

If you’re trying to keep your extended warranty intact, the SE cams/tuner will 100% put a smile on your face. Sure it leaves a little out, but it’s not junk. It’s a decent compromise compared to years past. When your warranty runs out down the road you’ll be ready for a bump maybe...go aftermarket then and get a second “new bike” smile out of your paid off M8. Just a suggestion.

a moment of extreme clarity.

that's an excellent summation.

I hate telling lies, and trying to keep the warranty could turn into a lie-fest.
you are right, do the SE cam & tuner, and just enjoy it without worrying about having to fib about stuff.

and prolly be too lazy to do anything else later, esp as good as the M8's run now.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post17202563

Last edited by 04ctd; 08-14-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:24 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish

Yes this does make a lot of sense for ppl that will never go aftermarket after their warranty expires. But for me, I'm not going to spend 3 grand for SE parts that does limit performance a good bit, only to turn around and spend much less money for better parts and better performance.

Its also known that some of the SE parts are inferior in quality as well.

But yes. For someone worried about their warranty, stage 2 or up gives a decent return in performance.

Quick Reply: can an EPA compliant SE Tuner tune an aftermarket cam?