Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can an EPA compliant SE Tuner tune an aftermarket cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 12:46 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,226 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Yes this does make a lot of sense for ppl that will never go aftermarket after their warranty expires. But for me, I'm not going to spend 3 grand for SE parts that does limit performance a good bit, only to turn around and spend much less money for better parts and better performance.

Its also known that some of the SE parts are inferior in quality as well.

But yes. For someone worried about their warranty, stage 2 or up gives a decent return in performance.
I'm not so sure the SE stuff gives up all that much. I think it's the tuner that holds it back. I have the SE Stage II right now, and it looks like an aftermarket tune might be able to open up maybe another 10 hp / 10 ft/lbs out of it, which would put it dead-nuts competitive with the aftermarket cam testing we've seen here. I'd like to verify this info if possible, but if so, that's the way to go -- upgrade with warranty-compliant parts, but once the warranty's done, use an aftermarket tuner to upgrade again, without having to shell out the dough for cams & labor twice.

PuttNutt24's Fat Boy 114 had the 447 cam in it, and Bob Lobenberg tuned it with a TTS to deliver 130 ft/lbs and 110 hp, which puts it solidly among the better performing cams in the recent 114ci cam-test shootout. I've got that same engine and same cam with the SE tuner, pulling 120 ft/lbs and 100 hp. Once the warranty's up, a proper dyno tune might unlock another 10 hp and 10 ft/lbs, which would be frickin' awesome considering no cost for parts or labor to unleash another level of upgrade.

The following 2 users liked this post by FatBob2018:
04ctd (08-16-2018), Puttnutt24 (05-26-2023)
Old 08-14-2018, 12:56 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
I'm not so sure the SE stuff gives up all that much. I think it's the tuner that holds it back. I have the SE Stage II right now, and it looks like an aftermarket tune might be able to open up maybe another 10 hp / 10 ft/lbs out of it, which would put it dead-nuts competitive with the aftermarket cam testing we've seen here. I'd like to verify this info if possible, but if so, that's the way to go -- upgrade with warranty-compliant parts, but once the warranty's done, use an aftermarket tuner to upgrade again, without having to shell out the dough for cams & labor twice.

PuttNutt24's Fat Boy 114 had the 447 cam in it, and Bob Lobenberg tuned it with a TTS to deliver 130 ft/lbs and 110 hp, which puts it solidly among the better performing cams in the recent 114ci cam-test shootout. I've got that same engine and same cam with the SE tuner, pulling 120 ft/lbs and 100 hp. Once the warranty's up, a proper dyno tune might unlock another 10 hp and 10 ft/lbs, which would be frickin' awesome considering no cost for parts or labor to unleash another level of upgrade.
Well I was more or less specifically referring to the limitations of the SEPT. But I would also wonder how limited the cam is compared to other aftermarket cams in combination with a good tuner.

But yes, I would be very curious to see that type of test and results as well.

I still have reservations with paying much more for SE stuff though. Perhaps the cost I'm thinking about is labor driven, but when I did my stage 2 upgrade, it was about a $800 difference. That's not counting a full dyno, but HD isnt going to do one either with their SE installs unless you request one. I know they charge 500 bucks around here for dynos, and I'm getting one done for my bike from an indy this week for 300. SO thats basically another couple hundred more.