Sponsored by:

High Performance Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 01:20 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,529 Likes on 4,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Tired
Now Alex, it almost seems like you might have copied and pasted from K&N's site?
But wait! that's not all!

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-17-2018 at 01:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tired (08-18-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:21 PM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm with Tom and Zues.

7 times the oil flow means less filtering unless there is some magic filter media we are all missing out on. Needs a micron rating to know if its any good. 20 micron absolute is about the best you are going to find. Below that flow is really impacted.

The only part of their claims that are legit are the "reusable" claim.

Ill stick with Amsoil filters.

Last edited by rjacobs; 08-17-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:39 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

There's a quirk in the American brain, especially the man brain, that makes it vulnerable to such snake oil marketing bs. In 1972 I just HAD to have a capacitive discharge ignition module in my AMC Hornet wagon. I bought it, and it was useless junk, it did nothing at all but make a whiny sound. Later, I just HAD to add STP oil treatment to my perfectly good motor oil, because STP had told me thru their advertising that regular motor oil couldn't possibly do the lube job without it. The stuff looked and poured like snot, and after using it for awhile my motor started consuming oil badly, so I guess it screwed something up inside. On and on. After a few years and wasted time and money, it finally dawned on me that I was a victim of my own stupidity. I stopped buying things that were supposed to do a better job than the factory things. Now, it's all about oem oil, oem plugs, oem everything. Heck, I'd buy HD gasoline if they sold it...

Who knows better what to use on the factory machine than the factory that designed and built it????

mjwebb (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 03:50 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,529 Likes on 4,426 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
There's a quirk in the American brain, especially the man brain, that makes it vulnerable to such snake oil marketing bs. In 1972 I just HAD to have a capacitive discharge ignition module in my AMC Hornet wagon. I bought it, and it was useless junk, it did nothing at all but make a whiny sound. Later, I just HAD to add STP oil treatment to my perfectly good motor oil, because STP had told me thru their advertising that regular motor oil couldn't possibly do the lube job without it. The stuff looked and poured like snot, and after using it for awhile my motor started consuming oil badly, so I guess it screwed something up inside. On and on. After a few years and wasted time and money, it finally dawned on me that I was a victim of my own stupidity. I stopped buying things that were supposed to do a better job than the factory things. Now, it's all about oem oil, oem plugs, oem everything. Heck, I'd buy HD gasoline if they sold it...

Who knows better what to use on the factory machine than the factory that designed and built it????

could not agree more...heck when I bought a brand new F150 back in the late 1990's I brought it home, jacked it up and changed all the fluids, trans, transfer case and differential with Amsoil because of what I read, and wanted to believe, that if I didn't I would be doing my new truck a huge disservice. I've long since seen the light and realize all that fussing and experimenting and spending was of no value...had it for a few years and sold it anyway..proper maintenance following OEM recommendations is all our new vehicles ever need.. the mentality of we must do something to help them is just plain naive...everything is easier following the KISS principle

Old 08-17-2018, 09:40 PM
deni
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here, educate yourselves:
http://kandpengineering.com/faqs/

Old 08-17-2018, 11:59 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

For the HD I have settled on the K&N oil filters and M1 oil and o-rings I can get at at any retail place from TSC, china-mart and auto part stores.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:30 AM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
For the HD I have settled on the K&N oil filters and M1 oil and o-rings I can get at at any retail place from TSC, china-mart and auto part stores.
Just a heads up there was a K&N oil filter recall, not sure if it impacts the Harley filters or not.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:09 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Originally Posted by supernac
Just a heads up there was a K&N oil filter recall, not sure if it impacts the Harley filters or not.
Here’s one I don’t think K&N has recalled:

https://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mPr...px?prod=SS-171

Kind of raises the question “if reusable stainless steel filters are crap, why is K&N offering one?”

This really boils down to choice and what you believe. The PurePower filters have 22 micron holes in the media while the Flo says it filters out everything down to 35 microns. Both are single pass, meaning nothing bigger than that will get past them the first time through. Most if not all single use oil filters are multiple pass, meaning that if they have a ten micron filtration then after multiple passes they will catch particles of that size or bigger. Meanwhile particles much larger than 35 microns can circulate through the system.

This will help you understand what this means.

40 microns
A micron is a unit of measure in the metric system equal to 1 millionth of a meter in length (about 39 millionths of an inch). The average cross-section of a human hair is 50 microns. The human eye cannot see anything smaller than 40 microns in size. (This is in most circumstances, you may be able to see dust particles in a beam of light down to 10 microns)

Another plus to the reusable filters is they also have a magnet that collects ferrous metal particles.

So here’s a question. How much clearance is there between metal parts in the engine and how thick is the oil film between them?

I think if the particles are substantially smaller than the thickness of the film they will not affect the metal surfaces between parts. If the film breaks down and there’s metal on metal you have a bigger problem than particle size.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:14 PM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
So here’s a question. How much clearance is there between metal parts in the engine and how thick is the oil film between them?
I cant speak to Harley motors, but the "spec" on LS type motors for say crank bearing clearance is .0010-.0030... im "guessing" Harley motors are similar.

1 micron is .000039
20 micron is .0008
40 micron is .0016

So as you can see a 40 micron filter COULD let particles pass that would be larger than the crank bearing clearance(if on the tight side), or maybe not. 20 micron almost GUARANTEES that your particles would be smaller than your crank bearing clearances.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:18 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

The real problem here lies-
If you have to filter out that much shet you do not need another filter , what you really need is another engine.

TriGeezer (08-19-2018)

Quick Reply: High Performance Oil Filter