Sponsored by:

High Performance Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:31 AM
irongrassfairy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default High Performance Oil Filter

Has anyone experimented with a high performance oil filter? I'm not an engine guru by any means but I can't see any negatives out of putting one in. However I wouldn't think that if a stock oil filter would bottle neck the system that they would use it. Thoughts?

https://www.tabperformance.com/harle...oil-filter.htm
  • Up to 7 Times More Oil Flow Than Paper Filters
  • Reduces Oil Pump Drag for Potential HP Gains
  • Provides Faster Oil Pressure at Startup
  • Magnetic Pre-Filtering
  • Meets or Exceeds Factory Unit Filtration
  • Reusable - Inspect, Clean, Reuse

Old 08-17-2018, 09:36 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Have a freind who’s been using this filter for years over 125,000 mile on his bike.There messy when cleaning them i would wait until your warranty is up i use the stock HD recommended filters they work good enough for me.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:39 AM
irongrassfairy
6th Gear

Not a bad idea. Was mainly curious if it helped cooling at all.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:42 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

I look at them just like the spark plugs..two of the OEM things not worth trying to improve upon

Old 08-17-2018, 10:30 AM
intrepidxc
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I use these K&P filers in all my bikes. I can't speak for cooling, but I like them for the reusability factor. They aren't hard to clean (IMO). When changing my fluids, I get the filter off as quickly as possible. Wash the filter element and the housing out in a bowl of water and dish soap, then blow out any remaining water with my air compressor. Takes all of about 5-7 minutes.

I dump the oil contaminated water in a large oil can and drop it periodically along with my used oil.

The following users liked this post:
irongrassfairy (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:46 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

IF I wanted to play with my oil filer, I would get that one.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:54 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts
Default PC Racing Flo oil Filter

I have used the PC Racing Flo oil filter on all my Harleys for years. I have also tried the K&P and PurePower filters. The Flo has an 11/16 hex nut molded into the end of the filter that makes it easier to remove, no need for a special wrench. That is the main difference between it and the K&P. I think the internals are probably interchangeable.

As far as extra cooling I can’t tell you there’s any noticeable difference. They do give a little power boost according to dyno tests, but it is within the margin of error.

Personally I use them because I think they do a better job of filtering the oil.

The following users liked this post:
irongrassfairy (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 11:12 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by irongrassfairy

Up to 7 Times More Oil Flow Than Paper Filters
Meets or Exceeds Factory Unit Filtration
You can tell to some degree it is snake oil because of the claims...you can't have more flow, AND exceed the factory filtration in a filter that is basically the same size...common sense tells you that.

There is nothing wrong with them...and you might save a couple of bucks over the life of the bike if you want to put up with the mess...you will have to do about 12 oil changes to break even.

Personally I'll pass

Old 08-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
You can tell to some degree it is snake oil because of the claims...you can't have more flow, AND exceed the factory filtration in a filter that is basically the same size...common sense tells you that.

There is nothing wrong with them...and you might save a couple of bucks over the life of the bike if you want to put up with the mess...you will have to do about 12 oil changes to break even.

Personally I'll pass
Agree.! A real high performance oil filter would, at the minimum, tell how many micron it would filter to (3 to 5 micron being high performance). Under 3 microns the filter would remove some additives from the oil.

No specs ? not going on my bike!

Old 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
irongrassfairy
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST

Personally I'll pass
That's a good point. I didn't think about it that way. I suppose the entry points or pathways could be different to benefit flow but that would be the only way. Didn't see any micron specs either.

Quick Reply: High Performance Oil Filter