Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Fangs RKS

Old 08-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Rocketman321
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Fork Fangs RKS

Well, I decided to give fangs a try to help calm the buffeting and overall turbulent air around my chest and face during highway travel. I am 5'6" with 30" inseam so that should help you get a gauge on where I am in the saddle. Currently sporting a 16" KlockWerks screen. I went with JES Customs for the powder coated wind deflectors to hopefully blend in with the bike without being too noticeable, and I am glad I did. With all the black, they are hard to see on the bike and do not stand out.

I rode today for about 2 hours on the highway, 80 MPH cruise set for most of that. Here are my impressions of the wind deflectors. At 60 MPH, my body was apparently ready for some wind resistance because I could feel a sensation of almost leaning naturally but not getting that push back from the wind. At 80 MPH, the buffeting that I had been feeling in the chest and face was probably 90%+ gone! There was very minor shake here and there in the glasses, but wow what a difference it made. The ride I did today I have done a few times this year and I can usually feel it a bit from fighting the buffeting the whole time. Its almost unbelievable how much smoother a ride it is now and my body isn't fighting wind the whole time.

The only downfall I noticed with the deflectors was heat. It was something like 80-82 this afternoon and it did not take long to feel the heat between the legs. It was not unbearable but was noticeably warmer than it usually is on the highway, which makes sense. I will have to write back if I get the ride in during 90 degree plus weather to see if its terrible. At the low 80 mark, it was well worth the trade off.

If you have been considering it, or are on the fence of form vs. function, I am sold, and I believe you would be too. If only you could just take a ride on someones bike that has the flairs, I'm telling you the difference is almost unbelievable. Including a couple shots below so you can see how they look in powder coat on a Special bike. Hope this helps any on the fence folks.

The following users liked this post:
bbissell (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 07:37 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,503 Likes on 4,414 Posts

those look like the aftermarket ones my wife got for her Freewheeler, and yes..they work as you describe..have the HD ones on my RK and I've said before but will say again..it was the one absolutely must have item I took off my 15 RK to swap over to the 17

Old 08-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Rocketman321
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
those look like the aftermarket ones my wife got for her Freewheeler, and yes..they work as you describe..have the HD ones on my RK and I've said before but will say again..it was the one absolutely must have item I took off my 15 RK to swap over to the 17
I can understand why now that I have experienced for myself.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:32 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

I've the fangs on my Road King also and would not ride without them. The only buffeting I really get is when I stretch out on my hyw pegs the wind follows my legs up and gives me minor buffeting.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:18 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketman321
Well, I decided to give fangs a try... The only downfall I noticed with the deflectors was heat. It was something like 80-82 this afternoon and it did not take long to feel the heat between the legs.
I was recommended to use a Crotch Cooler, mainly for when going slow in traffic when the wind can't take away the heat from the engine. However, It seems to help at all speeds to insulate the thighs from the engine heat.

I installed one from Captain Itch which looks good and does the job. It has been in the high 80's to mid 90's all summer here in Central Florida and I don't find the engine heat to be too bad on the legs with the Crotch Cooler.