Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That ESP coverage is expensive.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:42 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,827 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
So ESP from Discount ESP still provides coverage even with aftermarket cam, tuner, exhaust oil pump etc. Good to know!
Thanks Heatwave
I'd want that in writing before I swallow that cool aid. Moco is being a bitch about things since the 17 models.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:06 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

I bought a 17 around this time last year. I believe the new 18 models hit the floor the next week. I bought a Ultra Limited at $1500 below MSRP that was with the 5 year ESP. I figured that they still made a few dollars and both of us were happy.
Do I care if it sumps or transfers? Kinda sorta but I am not losing sleep over it. It hasn't yet!!
It's probably/maybe my last bike and I probably won't even add slip on pipes. Just going to run it as is.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:17 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I'd want that in writing before I swallow that cool aid. Moco is being a bitch about things since the 17 models.
Will definetely get it in writing, if/when I buy any ESP. And I totally understand HDs warranty pollicies effective on 17 and newer models, but HD would have absolutely no say if the ESP was from an independant company with zero connection to the mothership.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:40 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
So ESP from Discount ESP still provides coverage even with aftermarket cam, tuner, exhaust oil pump etc. Good to know!
Thanks Heatwave
According to the seller of DiscountESP if those aftermarket parts are NOT the cause of the claim, then your claim will not be effected or result in the DiscountESP coverage being voided. Best to confirm in your discussions with Jim ar DiscountESP but that is my understanding.

The following users liked this post:
MTBIG G (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 02:02 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave

According to the seller of DiscountESP if those aftermarket parts are NOT the cause of the claim, then your claim will not be effected or result in the DiscountESP coverage being voided. Best to confirm in your discussions with Jim ar DiscountESP but that is my understanding.
Awesome. Thanks again!

Old 08-19-2018, 05:12 PM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

ESP's and similar warrantees are a gamble. The house always wins. I would say roll the dice with the factory warranty. And the tire and wheel plan, what a joke, how many people do you know who have damaged a rim? I have over 200,000 miles and only 3 flats due to screws.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:18 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I bought the 5 year ESP along with my 2018 RGU, paying just a hair under $2k for the policy. I assumed that the ESP is identical to the factory 2-yr unlimited miles warranty, in other words, fender-to-fender. Recently, I dug out my ESP paper and was, shocked, shocked, I say, to find the long list of exclusions that the ESP carves out of the factory warranty. This is the first motorcycle ESP I've ever bought, and if I had it to do over I would not waste the money on it. I added it to the mortgage because this is a new motor, not fully road tested. Maybe that was a good idea, but I'll betcha dollars to do-nuts that I never file a claim on it.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:23 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

. I would say roll the dice with the factory warranty
I generally agree and never bother with extended warranties. But, this being the first model year of a new design, combined with the concerns about sumping, combined with the $100 hourly labor rate, plus my infatuation with this bike and desire to keep it a while, all led me to looking into it. If the warranty was $2500 there's no way I would go for that. But four extended years at only $250/year... That seemed like a reasonable deal especially on a first-model-year bike.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 08-19-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:07 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,503 Likes on 4,414 Posts

to me, one of, if not the most important determination when considering purchasing one or not, is how many miles you ride and how far you travel...we're from the lots of miles and lots of out of state trips camp so it's more likely to be worthwhile than say, the casual weekend cruiser, bike nights and bar hoppers who put a few thousands miles at most a year on their bikes..regarding the comment above of how much less it covers compared to the factory two year, it also covers stuff that doesn't like addy'l towing, hotel accommodations, food in the form of reimbursements..we'll know at the end of 5 years I guess if it paid off but an intangible during trips for 5 years is not spending time worrying about the what ifs, nightmare breakdowns and expenses..worry free peace of mind is of some value too imo

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-19-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:45 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

I've only used the Tire & Wheel for one rear tire with a nail in it. Broke even on that …. I had paid $400 extra for the T&W coverage when I bought the ESP and new rear tire w/labor was $400. I also had a rear wheel replaced after the rear wheel bearing went bad (or "exploded" as the service writer put it). The wheel alone was $398. I can't remember if it was covered under the T&W coverage, or if it got covered under the standard ESP because it was caused by a bad bearing.

Overall I've come out ahead by getting the ESP on the 4 Electra Glides that I've owned since 1994. I've even used the rental coverage & lodging coverage when I had a engine failure while on a road trip. It's worked for me, but I also keep my bikes all stock so there is never a question about coverage being denied.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: That ESP coverage is expensive.