Sponsored by:

Installing Fuel Moto's 120 Big-Bore Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:26 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,122 Likes on 3,504 Posts

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer
Strych9, Interesting, your stock Cam pics.

This is the stock cam out of my '18 Heritage 114 Softail at about 1500 miles when the dealer installed the HD Torque cam. Discovered it when I inspected the cam about a week after the install. Showed both the Cam and pictures to the GM of the dealership and Service Mgr. Did not say much other than it was documented. I was and am concerned.
That is interesting. Yours looks like there was some dirt in the engine. Maybe they aren't getting them clean enough before assembly.

With roller cams cleanliness is a must. It doesn't take much to create problems that only increase with time. Thanks for the post.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:32 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
If I had to guess, the cam mark could be caused by a small piece of debris that got caught between the cam lobe and the roller of the lifter. This would cause the roller to momentarily stop turning and drag the debris the full circumference of the lobe. That could be why there are marks on both. If you can catch a fingernail on any metal-to-metal contact surface that slide across each other, that's bad. It's a failure waiting to happen.
just curious cuz I'm ignorant, how would the failure manifest itself? gradually with some increasing noises, or...thanks

The following users liked this post:
Another Old Timer (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:35 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
just curious cuz I'm ignorant, how would the failure manifest itself? gradually with some increasing noises, or...thanks
Yeah, what MJ said. Enquiring Minds want to know..........................

Old 08-27-2018, 08:41 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

I've pulled so many cams that looked like (little scratches) that it ain't even funny. Same with the frosting on the lifter rollers which HD calls "normal". Usually nothing happens. Just looks bad.

The true test is to look at the lobes and ensure they are still consistent and not worn down. The rest is just well basically, cosmetic, and does not affect operation.

The following 2 users liked this post by lp:
mjwebb (08-27-2018), Thingfish (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:44 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer
Yeah, what MJ said. Enquiring Minds want to know..........................
well, apologize and didn't intend to sidetrack this thread playing 20 questions...but is upgrading cam, bearing and SE lifters going to do anything to help prevent a recurrence? I was considering SE Stage 2 (because I have the ESP) and even more so now to have a look at the OEM wear on the parts and potentially ward off any future problems, but if the new parts are just as predisposed to premature and abnormal wear then probably just let it go as is, and let them fix any problems for my $50...might end the year with 30,000 miles and the 30K service would be when I would consider the upgrades and get done under the Winter discount service specials

Old 08-27-2018, 09:05 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
I've pulled so many cams that looked like (little scratches) that it ain't even funny. Same with the frosting on the lifter rollers which HD calls "normal". Usually nothing happens. Just looks bad.

The true test is to look at the lobes and ensure they are still consistent and not worn down. The rest is just well basically, cosmetic, and does not affect operation.
cool, thanks.. this addresses my last question/concern, which aligns with my initial thoughts of what's the big deal here? unless it was an indication that things will continue to degrade to the point of getting real ugly..we now return to our regularly scheduled programming

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-27-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:32 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,122 Likes on 3,504 Posts

If this condition were to cause additional problems it would eventually manifest as noise. The rollers on the lifters would begin to deteriorate, and the cam lobe would follow.
Originally Posted by lp

Agreed. Still seems like they shouldn't be there. In all my years swapping roller cams in my cars I have never seen marks like that. I do know it's common on the HD bikes.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

The lines in the on cam lobe don't look like dirt to me.. I suspect that the stone or the machine used to grind the lobe had issues. It also possible that in roughing the cam lobe the initial cut was too deep.

The journal on the end is fine.

None of any of it is an issue.

mjwebb (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:29 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

well, apologize and didn't intend to sidetrack this thread playing 20 questions...but is upgrading cam, bearing and SE lifters going to do anything to help prevent a recurrence? I was considering SE Stage 2 (because I have the ESP) and even more so now to have a look at the OEM wear on the parts and potentially ward off any future problems, but if the new parts are just as predisposed to premature and abnormal wear then probably just let it go as is, and let them fix any problems for my $50...might end the year with 30,000 miles and the 30K service would be when I would consider the upgrades and get done under the Winter discount service specials
If you get the stage 2 cam with new SE lifters it will still be Harley Davidson parts. I don't think the SE parts are made to any different specs or criteria than the OEM parts. Even so, if you up grade to a stage 2 kit you will have new parts that don't have 30 K miles wear on them. Plus it will give you a chance to see how the parts are wearing. Right now you wondering if current cam and lifters are breaking down, showing excessive wear. You won't be confident in your machine until you get a look at them.

The SE torque cam, although not as perky as many of the comparable aftermarket cams, will still give you considerably more power than the stock cam. If it is what you want to do I wouldn't hesitate to go for it.

mjwebb (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:33 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

appreciate all the information from you folks with experience, really does help us make decisions about whether or not to spend money, and the pros and cons and value of those expenditures

Quick Reply: Installing Fuel Moto's 120 Big-Bore Kit