Sponsored by:

Design changes in the 2019 cases?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 05:01 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,400 Likes on 4,011 Posts

Originally Posted by rdc401

do you do you know if these part will ft on 2017 M8?

I don't know for sure, but my understanding, based on what I read, is yes....

It appears to replace the #62400125 cover oil pump assembly part, on the '17 & '18 M8 engines. One thread had it being ordered by a dealer, at the direction of a MoCo Rep, for a '17 or '18 engine that was sumping.

Like I said, no one is declaring victory yet... Damn, there have been so many oil pump changes that the MoCo stopped changing the part numbers... This will have to have some time/miles behind it, without issues, before anyone should jump to get one.... unless of course, you are one of the people with a sumping problem... then have the dealer get it under warranty... if they're not aware of it already.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:02 PM
ntg433
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Maybe I missed something

Originally Posted by lp
I would love to see the MY2019 doc too.

Just looking through the parts finders online the case part number has not changed so it doesn't look like they made any revisions to it, BUT.. that isn't definitive or mean something else didn't change. I guess.
i know others have talked about the poor case design. But if both the Feuling and S&S pumps have solved the problem why should a case re-design be warranted. We are talking about the MOCO here. You know the ones to use the cheap Chinese bearings to save a few pennies. How many hard saddlebags had to fall off before they designed the current and superior screw system. Boy I bet the bean counters lost some sleep over that one.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:29 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
I can pretty much guarantee you they wouldn't install that plate (on their dime) unless your bike had a confirmed sumping problem.

They'd say, "we're not going to fix something that isn't broken" or something similar.
Another forum member is getting the plate installed due to excessive oil carry over into the air box. His isn't sumping. I have the same issue and that's what HD recommend for him.

The following 2 users liked this post by martin10:
Dynamick (08-30-2018), hattitude (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 06:50 AM
msnyder
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the difference between bikes that sump and bikes that don,t might be related to what the auto makers call "stacking". 1 . Poorly designed flywheel area oil pickup passageways. 2. Poor piston ring to cylinder seal. Sometimes out of spec/round cylinder bores. some pictures have been posted showing this on cylinders removed for big bore kits. To much leak down and blow by.....3. Poor quality piston jet gaskets and bolts that may reach torque spec before securing the jet. GMR I think and someoe else said that this MUST be checked when replacing the gaskets (with cometic ones). 4. Oil pumps.......Who knows..I would compare this oil pump saga to a boat manufacturer that reveals a new model boat (does millions of miles of testing lol) and has hull leakage problems...THE ANSWER replace the bilge pumps with bigger better pumps to offset the leakage problem. Oh yes and don,t address the ROOT CAUSE of the problem...Just the symptoms and continue on that course for oh say 2 or maybe 3 model years.. The models are very popular and there is a loyal to a fault customer base...The leaky boats will be out of warranty soon enough..
Like said in a post above....I love my harley but do not trust the company.. I have had no transfer or sumping (at least to the point of failure) as of yet. But my warranty will time out in the next few weeks. 2017 RGU.. No trust no 2019 for me. Rant over I.m going out for a cruise on my HD boat.. Max

The following 8 users liked this post by msnyder:
Bumpandrun (08-30-2018), Campy Roadie (08-31-2018), ekb55 (08-30-2018), G'day (10-30-2018), GPHDXLC (08-30-2018), hattitude (08-30-2018), jsrracing (09-20-2018), mjwebb (08-30-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by msnyder
I believe the difference between bikes that sump and bikes that don,t might be related to what the auto makers call "stacking". 1 . Poorly designed flywheel area oil pickup passageways. 2. Poor piston ring to cylinder seal. Sometimes out of spec/round cylinder bores. some pictures have been posted showing this on cylinders removed for big bore kits. To much leak down and blow by.....3. Poor quality piston jet gaskets and bolts that may reach torque spec before securing the jet. GMR I think and someoe else said that this MUST be checked when replacing the gaskets (with cometic ones). 4. Oil pumps.......Who knows..I would compare this oil pump saga to a boat manufacturer that reveals a new model boat (does millions of miles of testing lol) and has hull leakage problems...THE ANSWER replace the bilge pumps with bigger better pumps to offset the leakage problem. Oh yes and don,t address the ROOT CAUSE of the problem...Just the symptoms and continue on that course for oh say 2 or maybe 3 model years.. The models are very popular and there is a loyal to a fault customer base...The leaky boats will be out of warranty soon enough..
Like said in a post above....I love my harley but do not trust the company.. I have had no transfer or sumping (at least to the point of failure) as of yet. But my warranty will time out in the next few weeks. 2017 RGU.. No trust no 2019 for me. Rant over I.m going out for a cruise on my HD boat.. Max
I think you made the most valid point so far.....pretty sure it other factors stacked up and nothing to do with cases or pumps like the bullship blown up the skirt of one poster here. There are NO NEW CASES. ( some of the dealers got a kick out of that post as he got a off the line crate motor)Enjoy the boat ride off myself and no worries. Always find away home. Lmfao!

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 08-30-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:18 PM
artsbest
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Many complaints here against HD with their flawed cycles but I hear/read NO class action lawsuits being filed. Why is that? Could you imagine if Ford's F-150 had serious engine flaws? They'd be in court (as a defendant) in a few months if that.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:59 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,400 Likes on 4,011 Posts

Originally Posted by artsbest
Many complaints here against HD with their flawed cycles but I hear/read NO class action lawsuits being filed. Why is that? Could you imagine if Ford's F-150 had serious engine flaws? They'd be in court (as a defendant) in a few months if that.

Well, go start one....

Unless people are dying, and even then there's no guarantees, nobody wins in a class action lawsuit except for the lawyers...

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (09-12-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by artsbest
Based on what, exactly? They're fixing the bikes, what more do you expect them to do?

The following 2 users liked this post by Keithhu:
Eccool (09-12-2018), strych9 (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 11:16 PM
Didier
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2018 road king, that was my last Harley. Last month I trade it in for a awesome Moto Guzzi California.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:51 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Didier
2018 road king, that was my last Harley. Last month I trade it in for a awesome Moto Guzzi California.
You signed on just to say goodbye? I’ll play.

Goodbye

The following 2 users liked this post by Steel Wheels:
Johnny Goodlife (10-30-2018), mjwebb (10-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Design changes in the 2019 cases?