Sponsored by:

Something to think about for DIY crank runout tests

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 06:53 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Something to think about for DIY crank runout tests

A couple of the well know builders, including Fuel Moto, are finding the M8 crank runout to be very good. As in less than 3 thousandths in everyone they have checked. One builder stated than 1 or 2 was what he had found in every case. A DIY guy posted a picture of his measuring crank runout and he was getting 8 thousandths. But in the picture he clearly did not have the dial indicator aligned properly. I used a dial indicator in my job and there is a definite learning curve in how to properly use one. In the beginning I got readings all over the place. I am not saying it is complicated. But it does take some experience. So for the DIY guy. Before you freak out and think your crank needs to come out and be trued, see if you can find a friend who has experience using a dial indicator to check behind you. Not sure if this post is helpful but just a thought.

The following users liked this post:
oprad (04-10-2023)
Old 09-02-2018, 09:34 AM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Wow, all the dial indicators ive used are pretty fool proof, what was the mileage on these bikes? even the twin cams were within tolerance & read pretty good "New" but as the mileage built & the cheaper bearing being used & seated - that's when the run out truly got ugly in some cases.

Maybe the MoCo learned (don't laugh) that they needed to build a better more precise bottom end - time will tell.

Not to be mean - but how were you mounting your dial indicator? once its set - its set (unless your moving it or its not mounted correctly/permanently), not sure how you got readings all over the place?

kap1 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 10:23 AM
kllrvet
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I image you are referring to me.
if I'm doing it wrong, I sure would like to know how to do it right.

https://youtu.be/n7Tcx17xdIs

Old 09-02-2018, 01:50 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
A couple of the well know builders, including Fuel Moto, are finding the M8 crank runout to be very good. As in less than 3 thousandths in everyone they have checked. One builder stated than 1 or 2 was what he had found in every case. A DIY guy posted a picture of his measuring crank runout and he was getting 8 thousandths. But in the picture he clearly did not have the dial indicator aligned properly. I used a dial indicator in my job and there is a definite learning curve in how to properly use one. In the beginning I got readings all over the place. I am not saying it is complicated. But it does take some experience. So for the DIY guy. Before you freak out and think your crank needs to come out and be trued, see if you can find a friend who has experience using a dial indicator to check behind you. Not sure if this post is helpful but just a thought.
I even found that with the twin cams......guys that don't do it everyday and magnetic base ? Had a guy tell me 9thou on his twink pinion side...turned out 3 thou. I doubt you'll find a m8 more than 4 thou.....done 3 so far and most was 2 thou . Sorta like a guy measuring OZs for transfer or stumpin....lmao

Old 09-02-2018, 05:07 PM
martin10
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LXT
Wow, all the dial indicators ive used are pretty fool proof, what was the mileage on these bikes? even the twin cams were within tolerance & read pretty good "New" but as the mileage built & the cheaper bearing being used & seated - that's when the run out truly got ugly in some cases.

Maybe the MoCo learned (don't laugh) that they needed to build a better more precise bottom end - time will tell.

Not to be mean - but how were you mounting your dial indicator? once its set - its set (unless your moving it or its not mounted correctly/permanently), not sure how you got readings all over the place?
Getting it setup and true is what I was referring to. See one of the other responses for verification that people who have never used one often don't get it set up correctly.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:10 PM
martin10
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kllrvet
I image you are referring to me.
if I'm doing it wrong, I sure would like to know how to do it right.

https://youtu.be/n7Tcx17xdIs
Wasn't you I was referring to. Most of the pros have a jig they have built to ensure the dial indicator is true.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:29 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Wasn't you I was referring to. Most of the pros have a jig they have built to ensure the dial indicator is true.
Have to be careful with some jig's as well. Some have the bore for the Crankpin very close to pin size. This will act as a support to the end of the crankshaft pin and you do not want that when checking for runout.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:24 PM
kllrvet
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

so do you see an issue with my method? Do you agree with the amount of runout the indicator shows?

Old 09-03-2018, 06:17 AM
martin10
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kllrvet
so do you see an issue with my method? Do you agree with the amount of runout the indicator shows?
Watching your video it appears the dial indicator is not completely perpendicular to the crank shaft. Also, at one point, you can see some deflection in the dial indicator itself. Either of those will affect the accuracy of the measurement.

Bumpandrun (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 02:48 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Getting it setup and true is what I was referring to. See one of the other responses for verification that people who have never used one often don't get it set up correctly.
Yeah & I guess that's were im losing you, I have a couple different types - clamp & magnetic, my favorite is from Jegs which is mine - a buddy of mine has a digital one, he works on aircraft engines (a lot of turbo type rebuilds).

Either way once you set it up (zero out as we say) you should be good to go, good luck & hope all is good

Quick Reply: Something to think about for DIY crank runout tests