Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Switch Went Out This Morning

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 04:44 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,271 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Failure of the clutch switch will prevent starting in gear. But, shouldn’t cause stalling.

Also, to the other poster, there is no gear position sensor, on”y a neutral switch. Gear position is determined by RPM vs. MPH, but since that is not deterministic with the clutch pulled in, it is blank with the clutch pulled in. If the clutch switch is failed to indicate always pulled in, then gear position will not be displayed.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:52 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,900 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Failure of the clutch switch will prevent starting in gear. But, shouldn’t cause stalling.

Also, to the other poster, there is no gear position sensor, on”y a neutral switch. Gear position is determined by RPM vs. MPH, but since that is not deterministic with the clutch pulled in, it is blank with the clutch pulled in. If the clutch switch is failed to indicate always pulled in, then gear position will not be displayed.
It does, can't say why but it definitely makes the idle erratic and it will stutter and stall at lights usually when you try to throttle up. How I know mine needs lubing again.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:10 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I ride an Indian. It has a gear position sensor.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:14 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,515 Likes on 4,421 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I ride an Indian. It has a gear position sensor.
I have a multiple gear position sensors....my throttle hand and brain

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
IronAss (09-01-2018), TenMidgets (09-02-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 09:10 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

My switch pack and clutch lever is on order for warranty replacement now count me in on the problem also

Old 09-02-2018, 06:53 AM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

Mine is still intermittent and not related to moisture. Only fails after sitting in sun a while. Going in next week under warranty to correct..

Old 09-02-2018, 07:03 AM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Well you be sure to let us know what a real motorcycle is. Hope that works out for ya
I'm not going to get rid of the King,,, just going to get another FJR1300ES a 2018 this time. It will work out fantastic. BUT I just found out a cousin passed away this morning. So I'm grounded. Even if I had got off this morning on the King I would be coming back home to be with family. Sucks about my Cuz passing... He was a great guy. We had a lot of fun over the years.

[/QUOTE]

Copy that man. Hang in there. Sorry for your troubles. Not every machine is trouble free as you know. There's a new King in my horizon to park next to the Heritage

Old 09-02-2018, 09:23 AM
LXT
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
a good company should make your problem their problem under warranty periods..what you stated would be tough for HD though as there would be a showroom full of new bikes in various states of disassembly
Man, a showroom full of bikes in states of disassembly - that speaks volumes doesn't it? yep..... think ill wait on an M8 purchase!

Originally Posted by FLSTC-Dave
Off to get in the cage and go motorcycle shopping for a real motorcycle. Should have never sold my 2017 FJR.
Well you be sure to let us know what a real motorcycle is. Hope that works out for ya[/QUOTE]

what do you consider a "REAL" motorcycle - there are many new highly reliable model bikes out there - other than Harley! I know a few who went over to the new Yamaha transcontinental & claim its a much better bike than their HD`s were (they came off road glide ultras & Limited's) - I couldn't make that move but hey BMW, Honda & Indian are doing a pretty good job unless you just have to have a HD

Originally Posted by psyshack
Well you be sure to let us know what a real motorcycle is. Hope that works out for ya
I'm not going to get rid of the King,,, just going to get another FJR1300ES a 2018 this time. It will work out fantastic. BUT I just found out a cousin passed away this morning. So I'm grounded. Even if I had got off this morning on the King I would be coming back home to be with family. Sucks about my Cuz passing... He was a great guy. We had a lot of fun over the years.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for your loss.....!

Old 09-02-2018, 09:32 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,515 Likes on 4,421 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
Man, a showroom full of bikes in states of disassembly - that speaks volumes doesn't it? yep..... think ill wait on an M8 purchase!
well my wild exaggeration comment was only really because of a recent parts availability issue we had that laid up my wife's Freewheeler far too long..head bolts on back order..ridiculous to put a customer out in the middle of Summer for a few weeks for some freaking bolts

The following users liked this post:
LXT (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 10:04 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

Caused stalling on my 17 Road Glide. Idle was erratic and engine would cut out during slow speed maneuvers. Almost dropped the bike the first couple times it happened. Dealer replaced everything and all was good again. My 18 has been perfect... so far.

psychack, my condolences. All the best to you and your family.

Quick Reply: Clutch Switch Went Out This Morning