Sponsored by:

Bone dry transmission dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 11:52 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by P51Driver
In my opinion 3 oz's of tranny fluid migration is not "perfectly normal".
Any amount of tranny fluid loss is problematic.
Well for sure, I'm not happy about it. However, I have understood that HD has stated that a small amount of transfer is "normal." That's why I won't immediately take the bike to the dealer shop over this issue. If it was transferring a lot more, then I would take it in. But three or four oz in 6k miles isn't enough for me to get excited about.

I don't like having to check my tranny oil level so regularly. On my 2016, I really never checked level at all. Once the bike was broken in and had had a couple of oil changes, I just never checked it again until change time, which with a 20k interval, only happened once in the 36k miles I rode the bike. And even then I didn't check level. I just drained the old oil out and put new in. From now on, for sure, I will keep a very close eye on level, and probably not make it to the 20k interval between changes.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:45 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb

and the wide variances in the amounts of fluid being reported, from very minimal to sucking them nearly dry and everything in between and the amount of miles it takes..then periods of getting your hopes up as it appears to have ceased only to resurface out of the blue..confusing as Hell

Yanny Laurel

Old 09-06-2018, 03:48 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
Well for sure, I'm not happy about it. However, I have understood that HD has stated that a small amount of transfer is "normal." That's why I won't immediately take the bike to the dealer shop over this issue. If it was transferring a lot more, then I would take it in. But three or four oz in 6k miles isn't enough for me to get excited about.

I don't like having to check my tranny oil level so regularly. On my 2016, I really never checked level at all. Once the bike was broken in and had had a couple of oil changes, I just never checked it again until change time, which with a 20k interval, only happened once in the 36k miles I rode the bike. And even then I didn't check level. I just drained the old oil out and put new in. From now on, for sure, I will keep a very close eye on level, and probably not make it to the 20k interval between changes.
I don't check the tranny. It is a pain to see. I check the engine oil and pop the derby. Since i ain't leaking or burning oil, I figure if it don't drain out when I pop the derby, I'm doing OK.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:24 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

I knew my '17 SGS was transferring way before the 5K service. I had to bring it in at 6K for measurements, and they said it was doing 2.5oz - topped it off, and sent me on my way. I checked it at 600 miles and the dipstick was bone dry. Called up the Dealer and just came back - they called the Mothership because they claimed that much loss was at least 5oz. I'm told they are ordering the "fix" and will let me know when it's in. Meanwhile I'm supposed to continue riding w/o topping it off. The first thing they said when I showed them the dipstick was "That's not a Harley dipstick" - duh, yes it is - I've got the Speed Check (Mental note to self: Don't try removing it with your bare fingers after a ride unless you want to remove your fingerprints!) Anyways, I got to thinking if there was a difference in the level marks between the SC and the normal dipstick, so I got out the original, and one from my '13 Breakout, and compared all 3 - no visible difference in where the level marks are. (Yet the SC isn't "recommended" for the M8 transmissions) Look at the photo and tell me why. The top dipstick is from the '13 FXSB, the middle from the '17 FLHXS, and the Speed Check is on the bottom. I lined up the shoulders for the photo.

Last edited by FurryOne; 09-06-2018 at 05:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FurryOne:
nobodyknowsme (09-08-2018), P51Driver (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 05:45 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,520 Likes on 4,423 Posts

not noticing any differences for all intents and purposes

Old 09-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Beachbumcook
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne

I knew my '17 SGS was transferring way before the 5K service. I had to bring it in at 6K for measurements, and they said it was doing 2.5oz - topped it off, and sent me on my way. I checked it at 600 miles and the dipstick was bone dry. Called up the Dealer and just came back - they called the Mothership because they claimed that much loss was at least 5oz. I'm told they are ordering the "fix" and will let me know when it's in. Meanwhile I'm supposed to continue riding w/o topping it off. The first thing they said when I showed them the dipstick was "That's not a Harley dipstick" - duh, yes it is - I've got the Speed Check (Mental note to self: Don't try removing it with your bare fingers after a ride unless you want to remove your fingerprints!) Anyways, I got to thinking if there was a difference in the level marks between the SC and the normal dipstick, so I got out the original, and one from my '13 Breakout, and compared all 3 - no visible difference in where the level marks are. (Yet the SC isn't "recommended" for the M8 transmissions) Look at the photo and tell me why. The top dipstick is from the '13 FXSB, the middle from the '17 FLHXS, and the Speed Check is on the bottom. I lined up the shoulders for the photo.
Which “fix”??
Harley’s fix (which they don’t have) or the “Fix” that Stonedold sells on this site?

Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

I would be wondering if the dealer put oil back in the trans at the 5000 mile service ? They do have a transferring problem though.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:57 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by mjwebb
not noticing any differences for all intents and purposes
The only difference between the '13 & '17 dipstick is the rounded end, possibly from changing Mfrs. If you look up the dipsticks in the Ronnie's H-D parts breakdowns it shows a completely different dipstick for the '17 models, one that can be removed by hand - yet all the '17's & '18's I've seen still have the hex key head design.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:04 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by hardheaded
I would be wondering if the dealer put oil back in the trans at the 5000 mile service ? They do have a transferring problem though.
Either they did - or they stole my quart of Redline - since I supplied my own transmission fluid. They are supposedly required to toss out the old oil after measuring it.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:17 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Which “fix”??
Harley’s fix (which they don’t have) or the “Fix” that Stonecold sells on this site?

I'm playing the "still under warranty" factory fix - the oil slinger - for now.

Quick Reply: Bone dry transmission dipstick