Sponsored by:

Bone dry transmission dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 08:30 PM
vpnwiz
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bone dry transmission dipstick

Thought I would post here, not sure where the most appropriate place is. I had never checked the forums before 2-3 weeks ago. But apparently I have been having some *serious* transmission to primary migration. I last had my bike (17 CVO Limited) serviced at my dealer, they did the 5k at around 4500 miles. Read some bad stories here and figured I should check my own. I have 9k on it now. Guess what.. the stick is dry. Doesn't even register. I imagine my primary is overfull, which would explain some of the shifting issues I've had. Taking the bike in for the 10k service on Monday so they can figure it out. Had a good talk with the Svc Mgr today, he thinks no damage was done, says the trans can live with just a little bit of oil, no problem. So hopefully clearing out the primary and refilling the trans next week will make a good change in the bike. Thoughts/comments welcome.

Thanks

Old 09-04-2018, 08:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by vpnwiz
Thought I would post here, not sure where the most appropriate place is. I had never checked the forums before 2-3 weeks ago. But apparently I have been having some *serious* transmission to primary migration. I last had my bike (17 CVO Limited) serviced at my dealer, they did the 5k at around 4500 miles. Read some bad stories here and figured I should check my own. I have 9k on it now. Guess what.. the stick is dry. Doesn't even register. I imagine my primary is overfull, which would explain some of the shifting issues I've had. Taking the bike in for the 10k service on Monday so they can figure it out. Had a good talk with the Svc Mgr today, he thinks no damage was done, says the trans can live with just a little bit of oil, no problem. So hopefully clearing out the primary and refilling the trans next week will make a good change in the bike. Thoughts/comments welcome.

Thanks
about 10,000 comments and a few hundred pages and multiple threads worth..sorry, but that's the truth so get in the back of the line!

Old 09-04-2018, 08:41 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

For whatever reason this is happening is the exact reason I decided to keep my 15 RGS and the 103.
would be interested in what you are told the reason and fix is.
Thanks

Old 09-04-2018, 08:42 PM
vpnwiz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mjwebb
about 10,000 comments and a few hundred pages and multiple threads worth..sorry, but that's the truth so get in the back of the line!
Yup, I have been reading furiously for a few hours now..

Old 09-04-2018, 08:45 PM
vpnwiz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leftyjm
For whatever reason this is happening is the exact reason I decided to keep my 15 RGS and the 103.
would be interested in what you are told the reason and fix is.
Thanks
Service Mgr was very up front and said some of the M8's do leak from the trans to the primary, and H-D has a fix for it, it's a cap on the end of a shaft or something that prevents gear oil spray from going to the primary. But from what I've read on here it doesn't work anyway, so they will do the service and just log how much fluid comes out of where. He did say they have to request it from HQ, it's not an orderable part.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:04 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Service Mgr was very up front and said some of the M8's do leak from the trans to the primary, and H-D has a fix for it, it's a cap on the end of a shaft or something that prevents gear oil spray from going to the primary. But from what I've read on here it doesn't work anyway, so they will do the service and just log how much fluid comes out of where. He did say they have to request it from HQ, it's not an orderable part.
Well if you really want it cured “The Fix” is $210. I will have some kits available by the end of the week or the first of next week. Once you make 25 posts you will be able to Personal Message me so I can give you my PayPal. If you want to read more about “The Fix” go to the thread “The Fix is In”. It is about post 40 or so right now.

The following 3 users liked this post by $tonecold:
Beachbumcook (09-04-2018), dwagar (09-05-2018), Eccool (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 10:11 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
Are we losing our compassion for those suffering from transfer?

Old 09-04-2018, 10:26 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold

Are we losing our compassion for those suffering from transfer?
no, just thought I'd make the new guy aware of the plethora of available information he seeks answers too..but can't really advise against working with dealership and having it documented, being new and under warranty..best place to start regardless of if they are going to be able to resolve it or not in the short term imo..we know the MOCO is aware, and at some point they will have a breakthrough I suspect..definitely should head your way if they can't

Old 09-05-2018, 03:27 AM
HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldn't be calling it a leak.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:07 AM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

I’m just wondering why “some do and some don’t”.
Crazy

Quick Reply: Bone dry transmission dipstick