'19 M8 Boom GTS CarPlay Hack?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:19 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by mag11581
can the older bikes ( 2016 ) be upgraded with the new system?
Currently no.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:10 AM
UltraSteveUSAF
Road Master
Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts

OK this may be a dirty word in this thread.....Does it also support Android Car Play?

Old 09-25-2018, 09:08 AM
otto.maddox
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraSteveUSAF
OK this may be a dirty word in this thread.....Does it also support Android Car Play?
No. It doesn't. Neither does the Honda Goldwing. Not sure why.. it seems most cars that support one tend to support both.

I've read articles saying Google doesn't want to get into the motorcycle world yet but can't find anything from Google itself to support that argument.

The following users liked this post:
UltraSteveUSAF (09-26-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 07:48 PM
spidermo
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you use a bluetooth headset with the Sony head unit?

Old 09-30-2018, 01:16 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by spidermo
Can you use a bluetooth headset with the Sony head unit?
If you're referring to the Sony AX5000 series from Volunteer Audio, I'd say no simply because: 1- They don't say they do. 2- The main chassis was designed for cars. 3- I only see an interface connector for the main H-D Boom interface, and adding a bluetooth interface would require the additional P&A interface connector that's used for the WHiM & Freewire.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:20 AM
LN Nation
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Curtis Gibeaut Jr. (cjibo)
I am working on a hack that will fake the headset. I've already successfully jumped the female DIN to get it to turn carplay on without a headset. I'm working to build a ding adapter to plug in so I don't have to have a headset on and yet use the carplay through the touch interface. I'll come back in a couple weeks traveling now but think I have a solution.
Hey, Curtis! Any update on the GTS hack? Thanks!

Old 10-12-2018, 07:36 AM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by otto.maddox
I'm not sure where I'm incorrect. I'm talking about the requirement for a microphone. The microphone requirement is from Apple. Apple requires voice input for Carplay to be enabled.

I understand there is no built-in microphone in the Boom GTS head unit.

It's the same for the Honda Goldwing. No microphone and the Carplay button doesn't show up.
The part where you are incorrect is still the part that CarPlay requires a mic to work coming from Apple. The only thing a mic is used for is sending commands to Siri. You do not need a mic for anything else. It’s a touchscreen which means you control it via touch. HD has imposed this requirement so that you have to spend more money with them. You should not need a mic to use CarPlay. It is no different than being able to control the older touchscreen screens on Harleys. HD are just being greedy.

The following 2 users liked this post by fightingmajor:
calder (04-30-2020), justpadge_eats (08-20-2020)
Old 12-10-2018, 07:09 AM
Aarinu
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by otto.maddox
The mic requirement is from Apple.. not HD. Carplay.. in theory.. is supposed to be mainly voice controlled.
I got a 2019 for Apple Carplay. Neither dealer was aware that you needed a WHIM and 20S, or the HD Wired Headset until after the sale of the bike. So I did have some good news in this, I already own a SENA 20S, just not the HD labeled one. We verified I can sync it to a 2019 CVO (Which comes with WHIM installed). Once synced and the 20S turns on, the Phone icon on the Boom GTS turns to the CarPlay logo and off we go.

Now, here is where it gets interesting..... They had another FLHXS on the showroom that had the WHIM installed at the Dealer, not from the factory. That unit, once an iPhone was plugged in, CarPlay opened right up. It did NOT even have a wireless headset connected in anyway. The explination I got is that there are settings in the BCM (Body Control Module) that get changed when WHIM is installed. They believe that one of them wasn't flipped. They called HD about it and were told, "The Microphone Requirement is an Apple thing. Apple designed CarPlay to revolve around voice control. The installation you have should not work and is not supported by HD." I'll be adding the module in the spring time so dealer said they would work with me on install/configuration.

The following users liked this post:
justpadge_eats (08-20-2020)
Old 12-10-2018, 07:39 AM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Again, CarPlay has nothing to do with requiring a mic. The only thing you need a mic for is Siri. They are not telling the truth to force you to buy unrequired equipment. I have the Sony headunit with CarPlay on my bike without a mic hooked up. CarPlay works just fine. If what they were saying was true, no headunit would work unless there was mic plugged in.

It just like the headunit from the 2018. It has voice controls, but they only work if you have a mic. But everything else on the radio works just fine (maps, radio, etc) without a mic.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 AM
CapoDelToro
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarinu
I got a 2019 for Apple Carplay. Neither dealer was aware that you needed a WHIM and 20S, or the HD Wired Headset until after the sale of the bike. So I did have some good news in this, I already own a SENA 20S, just not the HD labeled one. We verified I can sync it to a 2019 CVO (Which comes with WHIM installed). Once synced and the 20S turns on, the Phone icon on the Boom GTS turns to the CarPlay logo and off we go.

Now, here is where it gets interesting..... They had another FLHXS on the showroom that had the WHIM installed at the Dealer, not from the factory. That unit, once an iPhone was plugged in, CarPlay opened right up. It did NOT even have a wireless headset connected in anyway. The explination I got is that there are settings in the BCM (Body Control Module) that get changed when WHIM is installed. They believe that one of them wasn't flipped. They called HD about it and were told, "The Microphone Requirement is an Apple thing. Apple designed CarPlay to revolve around voice control. The installation you have should not work and is not supported by HD." I'll be adding the module in the spring time so dealer said they would work with me on install/configuration.
Once you do, please include the specific configuration used to bypass the mic requirement. Thank you!

Quick Reply: '19 M8 Boom GTS CarPlay Hack?