Sponsored by:

'19 M8 Boom GTS CarPlay Hack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Vader2id
Stage II
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CapoDelToro
Once you do, please include the specific configuration used to bypass the mic requirement. Thank you!
i have a 19 FLHXS with the GTS radio. i just had the WHIM module installed and Apple CarPlay works without having a headset paired. As soon as i plug my phone in, the icon changes to the carplay icon and i can use all the touch functions. The headset is only needed if you want to voice control.

The following 2 users liked this post by Vader2id:
wengerda (08-15-2019), Zonktified (03-04-2020)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:29 PM
pw
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, its time for me to jump in. Having just recently purchased a 2019 Ultra Limited last month and being an iPhone user I was was looking forward to the phone interface. I can't really say I'm disappointed. It does torque my jaw that HD is not more up front about the WHIM and all the restrictions they put on us the consumer. I did my research and understood what I was getting in to when I bought my bike. Everyday it seems I learn something new about this bike especially the radio and GPS or someone shows me something they discovered. Let me point out some things I have discovered or would have done different, remember, I've had my bike just over a month and unfortunately less than 900 miles.
1. The iPhone 8 Plus that I own will not fit inside the compartment in the dash, even with taking out the rubber sleeve in the compartment. The phone is to long. Beware you big phone users.
2. Inside that compartment is the sync / charging cable. I rode around for the first two week with my phone in my jacket pocket because it would not fit in the compartment using only Bluetooth, and I thought I had died and gone to Willie's house. I had arrived, my phone was syncing with the radio via Bluetooth, and I was light years ahead of the old radio in my 2010 Ultra. After those two week and realizing I had not achieved Apply Car Play I did some reading and realized I had to plug in the phone to the cable in the Dash compartment. For me to achieve this I routed the cable through a hole in the side of the compartment down between a seem in the dash and have my phone sitting up on my right handlebars in a RAM Mount the same way I had it on my 2010 Ultra, old school, sort of speak.
3. Back to the WHIM, I'm cheap, except I ride a Harley. Having owned two Ultras in the past I had plenty of helmets with headsets installed. I'm not ready to go Bluetooth yet. There was to much conflicting information out there. The WHIM would not work with other brand Bluetooth I heard it would only work with Harley Bluetooth. That turned me off going Bluetooth in my headsets.
4. I group ride a lot, most have and use CBs. Only a few have or ever will transition to Bluetooth.
5. I mentioned I have corded headsets, I'm a big fan of J & M Products. Their products work with Apple Car Play on this bike. Like someone said just need a Mic...
6. Some of you need to get over yourself's with this software updates. Go ride your bike and enjoy it. If you think for a minute software updates are not a common occurrence, you are one of those people who has a home PC that doesn't work and you probably only look at the internet at work.
7. The coolest thing I discovered about this radio, I now have free XM Radio. The Sirius XM radio package I have in my truck includes an App on my phone to play stations. When using Apply Car Play or Bluetooth I can listen to clear Satellite Radio and only use data from my phone. OK, so it's not completely free. The phone data usage, I cannot tell it's even being used.
Before discovering I could play Satellite Radio through my phone, I had considered installing the Satellite Module ($400.00) plus labor, in the bike so that I could get XM Radio, plus a additional monthly fee.
8. Making calls from the bike, Siri makes it all hands free.
9. I have not done much with GPS while in Car Play. I have figured how to use most of the controls for GPS without taking my hands off the handlebars.

The bottom line is, most of us mature guys :-) remember riding for years with no radio. I for one think this is a great radio system. It's come a long way from the cassette player I had in my 05 Ultra.
If you need a radio that sounds better maybe you should have considered a Gold Wing.
For what it's worth, thanks for reading...

The following users liked this post:
Zonktified (03-04-2020)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by pw
2. Inside that compartment is the sync / charging cable. I rode around for the first two week with my phone in my jacket pocket because it would not fit in the compartment using only Bluetooth, and I thought I had died and gone to Willie's house. I had arrived, my phone was syncing with the radio via Bluetooth, and I was light years ahead of the old radio in my 2010 Ultra. After those two week and realizing I had not achieved Apply Car Play I did some reading and realized I had to plug in the phone to the cable in the Dash compartment. For me to achieve this I routed the cable through a hole in the side of the compartment down between a seem in the dash and have my phone sitting up on my right handlebars in a RAM Mount the same way I had it on my 2010 Ultra, old school, sort of speak.
CarPlay can actually be tagged to be wireless by the techs at the HD shop. By wireless I mean it can be made to be used without plugging in the phone to the sync cable. I opted out of that when the tech offered it because I always leave my phone plugged in on the bike to keep it charged so I'm not exactly sure how it functions it that mode, just that it is an option.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:52 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by craigffb
Even if that's the case...I'll check when I get home cause I have a cheap eBay one I don't use too, a NEW wired headset cord is only like $25.
You also have to turn on “Projection” in the setting for Car Play to work. Try that.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:55 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by K Melancon

You also have to turn on “Projection” in the setting for Car Play to work. Try that.
You need a mic...bottom line.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:55 PM
sbebenelli
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2019 Streetglide with the GTS. I had the dealer instal the WHIM module as part of the deal. I can tell you without a doubt I can use AppleCarPlay without it hooked up to a mic.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:01 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sbebenelli
I have a 2019 Streetglide with the GTS. I had the dealer instal the WHIM module as part of the deal. I can tell you without a doubt I can use AppleCarPlay without it hooked up to a mic.
The WHIM makes the radio believe there is a mic present. The WHIM is plugged into the same harness that the DIN connector would be plugged into. Your headset is connecting to the WHIM not the radio. If the WHIM didn't trick the radio into thinking there was a hardwired mic you would not have access to CarPlay.

RiderX (05-15-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:03 PM
sbebenelli
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The WHIM makes the radio believe there is a mic present. The WHIM is plugged into the same harness that the DIN connector would be plugged into. Your headset is connecting to the WHIM not the radio. If the WHIM didn't trick the radio into thinking there was a hardwired mic you would not have access to CarPlay.
OK, so the guys who cannot get it to work without a mic do not have the WHIM installed? That explains things.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:16 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Duplicate.

Last edited by fightingmajor; 01-30-2019 at 12:17 PM. Reason: double post.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:16 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

CarPlay can actually be tagged to be wireless by the techs at the HD shop. By wireless I mean it can be made to be used without plugging in the phone to the sync cable. I opted out of that when the tech offered it because I always leave my phone plugged in on the bike to keep it charged so I'm not exactly sure how it functions it that mode, just that it is an option.
The radio does not have Wireless CarPlay functions. Your tech was wrong.

load97 (03-31-2019)

Quick Reply: '19 M8 Boom GTS CarPlay Hack?