Sponsored by:

bummed,think my m8 sumped

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 11:57 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
They will never get it to sump on a dyno...

I have to disagree with this statement. It was actually guys like Steve Cole (TTS) who discovered sumping from running constant rpm/load for extended periods while building calibrations.
The dyno is a perfect testbed for sumping because every aspect of the running (rpm, load, temps, pressures, etc) is monitored and measured. All this info is right on the dyno operator’s monitor as the bike is run through its paces...all without breaking any speed laws or having traffic impede testing.
Don't sell the dyno short. There are very few diagnostic methods that can be better performed on the road by an enthusiast than a proper dyno and instrumentation run by someone who knows what he’s looking at and what to look for.
My experiences,
Bob

The following 2 users liked this post by FLTRI17:
klammer76 (09-25-2018), mjwebb (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:24 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17

I have to disagree with this statement. It was actually guys like Steve Cole (TTS) who discovered sumping from running constant rpm/load for extended periods while building calibrations.
The dyno is a perfect testbed for sumping because every aspect of the running (rpm, load, temps, pressures, etc) is monitored and measured. All this info is right on the dyno operator’s monitor as the bike is run through its paces...all without breaking any speed laws or having traffic impede testing.
Don't sell the dyno short. There are very few diagnostic methods that can be better performed on the road by an enthusiast than a proper dyno and instrumentation run by someone who knows what he’s looking at and what to look for.
My experiences,
Bob
I agree Bob, i've had plenty sump on the dyno. A early 114" build I tuned I could drain 18oz from the crank sensor after 4 pulls to rev limiter.

The following users liked this post:
klammer76 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:54 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

A good friend of mine just had his 2018 do this, the dealer is saying they can just put on oil pump on it and he'll be good to go. It completely quit on the highway at speed. Sounds to me like they should replace his whole engine.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:48 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17

My experiences,
Bob
I should have avoided the word "never". Its highly unlikely that a DEALERSHIP is going to run a bike on a dyno long enough to identify sumping. But its certainly possible that if you run a bike long enough (over 75 miles IMO) its certainly possible to create a sumping situation. I just don't think the average dealership is going to put your bike on a dyno and run it continuously, at speed, with varying rpms, load factors, minimal idle time and shifting conditions needed to recreate sumping. If you want to be assured of your dealership identifying a sumping condition in order to make a warranty drivetrain claim, you are best off riding it under the conditions that generated the concern about sumping in the first place and ride it straight to the dealership under those conditions.

Otherwise you are very likely to get the dreaded "we can't replicate the sumping problem" response. But those that feel differently can certainly rely on the dealership dyno to try and recreate your sumping condition, just be prepared for alot of frustration. I stand by my original recommendation that the simplest way to get HD to honor a warranty claim for an engine that's sumping.is to ride up to the dealership service door while the bike is sumping. I've been through enough sumping engines to have learned the lesson but everyone is free to do as they think is best for their situation.

Last edited by Heatwave; 09-21-2018 at 01:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:54 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

They will never get it to sump on a dyno or with a 15-20 min test ride. If they give you the bike back, do as I said early and ride the bike like I outlined (30-40 miles out/back on interstate followed by another 15-20 miles of back country twisties - Total 75-100 miles) with your final desination at the dealership. Its the ONLY way to get resolution short of breaking down on the side of the road. I’ve seen this happen too many times. Trust me on this recommendation. Anything less is wasting everyone’s time.

I actually videoed me letting checking it after a long hot ride with it sumped when I got home. I have the video of me letting it idle, video of me pulling the crank sensor and the oil pouring out. I placed the oil in a water bottle and sent it with the bike. I am honestly getting pissed with the run around. I am pissed the dealer that swapped the pump didn't call Harley, didn't perform the check as required by the TSB and the list goes on.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:28 PM
jonuphi
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Thursday they said the bike was ready to go,they couldn't recreate sumping,i told them to ride it like they stole it,run it hard because im going to when I get it back.they took it out for another ride and this time it did it,they said the oil pump went out and they are tearing into it finally,seems like they are dragging their feet,friends are telling me to call corporate and complain but I don't want to if they will fix it right,we'll see

Old 09-22-2018, 06:13 PM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 274 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jonuphi
Thursday they said the bike was ready to go,they couldn't recreate sumping,i told them to ride it like they stole it,run it hard because im going to when I get it back.they took it out for another ride and this time it did it,they said the oil pump went out and they are tearing into it finally,seems like they are dragging their feet,friends are telling me to call corporate and complain but I don't want to if they will fix it right,we'll see
Make sure they fit the latest pump with the rear cover oil seal, as fitted to the 19's

Old 09-25-2018, 01:28 PM
SOSPWND Pistol Pete
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer just replaced oil pump and seal.

Here's the last version of SB1450. I'm not sure if SB1450 has been updated to reflect the changes made to the 2019 oil pump seal and cover.

Heatwave, I called the dealer this morning to see how it went with my bike yesterday. He said it's done. I said "no s**t?, awesome. What did you do?" They said they replaced the oil pump and seal. I was a little concerned so I called the sales manager I bought the bike from and he said if I had any concerns, I could talk to the master tech when I show up. I logged into this forum, read SB 1450, and called them back. I asked service department if in deed it was sumping and they said if I pulled that much oil out of the CPS port (2 1/4 Qts), it must be. I then asked why they didnt follow the service bulletin and service rep now started to get a little pissy with me. He said "now who's fixing the bike here?" He said if I had any serious issues to the internals, the bike wouldn't be pulling the numbers it did on dyno. His other impressive comment to me was "my technician was pissing around with that bike for half a day before he decided to replace the oil pump and we changed the oil pump because we knew there would a problem". I presume he was implying they would have a "problem" with me. What do you recommend?

Old 09-25-2018, 02:09 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by SOSPWND Pistol Pete
Heatwave, I called the dealer this morning to see how it went with my bike yesterday. He said it's done. I said "no s**t?, awesome. What did you do?" They said they replaced the oil pump and seal. I was a little concerned so I called the sales manager I bought the bike from and he said if I had any concerns, I could talk to the master tech when I show up. I logged into this forum, read SB 1450, and called them back. I asked service department if in deed it was sumping and they said if I pulled that much oil out of the CPS port (2 1/4 Qts), it must be. I then asked why they didnt follow the service bulletin and service rep now started to get a little pissy with me. He said "now who's fixing the bike here?" He said if I had any serious issues to the internals, the bike wouldn't be pulling the numbers it did on dyno. His other impressive comment to me was "my technician was pissing around with that bike for half a day before he decided to replace the oil pump and we changed the oil pump because we knew there would a problem". I presume he was implying they would have a "problem" with me. What do you recommend?
Go ride the bike and enjoy it. Take it out and do the sump ride test I recommended earlier and finish your ride at the dealership that just did the work. Have them pull the Crank Position Sensor for themselves after your ride to confirm the new oil pump has resolved the sumping. If less than 5-6 ounces drops out of the crankcase after your “sump test ride”, you’ll likely never have to worry about sumping ever again.

If they drain more than 6 ounces out of the crankcase after your sump test ride.....well....its back to SB1450 to start all over again.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:12 PM
SOSPWND Pistol Pete
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go ride the bike and enjoy it. Take it out and do the sump ride test I recommended earlier and finish your ride at the dealership that just did the work. Have them pull the Crank Position Sensor for themselves after your ride to confirm the new oil pump has resolved the sumping. If less than 5-6 ounces drops out of the crankcase after your “sump test ride”, you’ll likely never have to worry about sumping ever again.

If they drain more than 6 ounces out of the crankcase after your sump test ride.....well....its back to SB1450 to start all over again.
Copy that. Thank you Sir.

Quick Reply: bummed,think my m8 sumped