Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As I gracefully bow out.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:14 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

I never had a single issue with my 17 SG (no longer own it) but I'll be honest it sure is nice to not have that in the back of my mind that at any given time while riding it hard it could have sumped or transfer fluids...but it didn't. If and when I go back to an M8 platform it'll be in a couple of years. Even Adam Sandovals stg4 M8 blew.

Last edited by HD_fan; 09-18-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:04 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,071 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by ronaldrwl
Do you think it had anything to do with how you ride or something?
None of my other bikes had any issues like these. In fact, the 1st '17 didn't have either the oil consumption nor the pinging/tinging, sooooooooo......... no, I don't think it's the way I ride. However, I will report back after 1000 miles on this here '14 SGS and let everyone know if it transfers, consumes, or ping/tings........500 miles so far, no issues.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 PM
WAYJO
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The Moco said they did years of testing on the new M8 before its release, so there is no way that these problems didn’t show up. But they still decided to release it without addressing the issues. Bag of A holes. And by the way, we are gonna screw ya on your trade in too.

The following users liked this post:
psyshack (09-22-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

[QUOTE=bad tappets;17686559]Long live the Twin Cam![/QUOTE]

There was a time when no one was going to say this and mean it.

masterblaster (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:16 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

[QUOTE=Tony P;17694666]
Originally Posted by bad tappets
Long live the Twin Cam![/QUOTE]

There was a time when no one was going to say this and mean it.
no dout the twin cam ended up being a decent engine. An i think it was prolly in the OPs best intrest to go back to a twin cam after all the troubles he had. But lets not forget all the issues the twin cam had when it came out. It was thrashed acrossed the country. Some hated it some loved it. Just like the m8. I bought a brand new 2016 model and it leaked oil from more then one seal on the rear jug from new. It ran good but leaked oil and used 3 qts between new and and 3 thousand miles. Then used about 3/4s of a quart every thousand miles up untill i traded it off. While they are good motorcycles imo there not a 100 percent answer to buying a new bike. Like i said before there are some things i like about the twin cam over the m8 but reliablity isnt gonna detour me either way if i go buy another one cause i feel they habe about the same mechanical integrity as the other.
Long story short i would hate to see a new comer read this thread and not buy a m8 if he or she wants one thinking the twinky is just hands down more reliable.
You want reliablity in a harley my suggestion is go buy a sporty. I have owned several of those little buggers too. An to be honest if i had to pick the most reliable engine i have ever road it would be a 883 or 1200 sportu motor. Only issue i ever had out of any of mine was self inflicted. I beat the living **** out of my old 1200r. So it finally blew gasket at about 12000 miles. But that was on me and i knew it.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:22 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

That's a great looking SGS. Ironically the guy who traded it in probably did so for an M8!

Old 09-19-2018, 02:26 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by RET_SCPO
That's a great looking SGS. Ironically the guy who traded it in probably did so for an M8!
Nah, he probably traded for an EVO. JK.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,578 Likes on 9,802 Posts

Well, ya dont have to bow out, just load them hard bags up with three cases of tranny fluid and oil for every ride. hey its a Harley what did you expect?!?...;0

Old 09-19-2018, 02:45 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Congrats on the new sled!

MotoJockey (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 03:23 PM
STRADALE
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

The thing is unlike the twin cam no one knows how reliable the M8 motor will be in the long term. It seems unrealistic to think w/ this many major issues already that w/ the brand new design all will be completely copacetic once the years & wear & tear mileage gets racked up. And it’s when the common issues first start happening that it’s the biggest pita in dealing w/ them. W/ the twin cam we already know what the common issues are/were and they were fixed or improved on by the MoCo or there’s aftermarket solutions to proactively deal w/ them before they become a problem. With the M8 everyone will be behind the curve for a # of years as common design or wear issues crop up & as the MoCo & the aftermarket catch up to develop “fixes”.

When dealing w/ Harley it’s a safer bet to own a motor design that’s been in the market for 5, 10 or 17 whatever years vs. being one of their new product consumer testers w/ a brand new engine design. There’s a few car & bike manufacturers that I’ve been comfortable buying a new model, new engine design, Harley is definitely not one of them in fact it’s the least likely manufacturer imo to expect solid reliability in the first iteration or first few years. Harley needs loads of customer mileage & usually a quite a few model years to make the changes necessary for even close to the reliability that we should have/expect from the start. The twin cam already went through this, the growing pains.

The long term M8 track record remains to be seen but if it’s anything like the first couple of years, well........ But I’d feel comfortable buying a M8 CVO SG or RG once sumping & transfer is taken care of maybe that’s this (2019) model year & just deal w/ whatever other M8 issues occur later as I really like the changes that have been made on the M8 CVO bikes well except a few, one being the way they sound,,,,, but any newbie not fully aware of both motor designs & their most important ask is purely to have the most reliable bike over the latest looks & tech then I’d definitely feel comfortable saying - for now buy a Rushmore, a 2016 if you can find one over buying an M8.

Last edited by STRADALE; 09-19-2018 at 06:43 PM.
MotoJockey (09-19-2018)

Quick Reply: As I gracefully bow out.........