Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dino or Synthetic oil for M8 107

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:58 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Would be nice to see the results of Amsoil's tests using the new formulation of Syn3. Last time they ran their big.comparison, Syn3 placed 4th out of something like 17 competitors, well ahead of many big-name brands. Would be interesting to see how the current formulation fares.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:22 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

another reason I prefer conventional oil, and this is just my perception with no evidence to support it, is that I like to change my oil around 3000 miles..I think with the SE more open K&N air filter it allow more dirt into the engine, therefore dirtying up the oil filter sooner and subsequently reducing oil pressure if kept in service for its 5000 mile service life, which if I used Synthetic I would be inclined to follow. guess i just like keeping things fresher and cleaner. Also thinking the additive package plays a big role in overall protection maybe more so than base oil type itself. Now if I didn't mind spending the extra money on Synthetics and change both bikes at 3K miles then it's all a moot point as that'd be the best overall solution. At the end of the day it may very well be six of one, half dozen of the other. Guess we all do what we feel comfortable and confident with.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
another reason I prefer conventional oil, and this is just my perception with no evidence to support it, is that I like to change my oil around 3000 miles..I think with the SE more open K&N air filter it allow more dirt into the engine, therefore dirtying up the oil filter sooner and subsequently reducing oil pressure if kept in service for its 5000 mile service life, which if I used Synthetic I would be inclined to follow. guess i just like keeping things fresher and cleaner. Also thinking the additive package plays a big role in overall protection maybe more so than base oil type itself. Now if I didn't mind spending the extra money on Synthetics and change both bikes at 3K miles then it's all a moot point as that'd be the best overall solution. At the end of the day it may very well be six of one, half dozen of the other. Guess we all do what we feel comfortable and confident with.
you know, it is possible to clean the air filter without changing your oil.....

Old 09-21-2018, 10:29 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by davewear

you know, it is possible to clean the air filter without changing your oil.....
yeah, being as OCD as I am I swap out fresh spare air filters frequently, which itself makes things even dirtier inside as allowing them to build up a layer of dirt just prior to robbing performance would keep more dirt out of the engine and oil filter

Old 09-21-2018, 10:49 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

yeah, being as OCD as I am I swap out fresh spare air filters frequently, which itself makes things even dirtier inside as allowing them to build up a layer of dirt just prior to robbing performance would keep more dirt out of the engine and oil filter
jebus, you’re a nutbar, anyway you’re getting lots of miles in and having a good time....

Old 09-21-2018, 10:54 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by davewear

jebus, you’re a nutbar, anyway you’re getting lots of miles in and having a good time....
guess my nutbar status began 40 years ago racing motocross and service, maintenance and repairs was something that you just went overboard on, and it just always stuck with me uninterrupted through all the bikes and years and miles

Last edited by mjwebb; 09-21-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:31 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

MJ. I like you and enjoy your posts. And you are a smart guy with a lot of experience. That being said, you seem to be a bit stubborn about this oil thing. There is nothing special or secret about Harleys additive packages. You can find virgin oil analysis of both the 360 and Syn3. Nothing magic in either one. In fact, the 360 has an average at best additive package. The latest version of Syn3 is actually pretty good and I would not have any issue with it if it werent so overpriced. Hell, 360 is $7.50 per quart. I recently paid $9.00 quart for Mobil 1 Vtwin. So thats a whole $7.50 more per oil change. Dude, just spend the extra $7.50 per oil change to have what is unquestionably a better oil than 360. $7.50. Thats the difference between adequate and one of the best. Seems like a no brainer to me. And no insult intended.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:14 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by martin10
MJ. I like you and enjoy your posts. And you are a smart guy with a lot of experience. That being said, you seem to be a bit stubborn about this oil thing. There is nothing special or secret about Harleys additive packages. You can find virgin oil analysis of both the 360 and Syn3. Nothing magic in either one. In fact, the 360 has an average at best additive package. The latest version of Syn3 is actually pretty good and I would not have any issue with it if it werent so overpriced. Hell, 360 is $7.50 per quart. I recently paid $9.00 quart for Mobil 1 Vtwin. So thats a whole $7.50 more per oil change. Dude, just spend the extra $7.50 per oil change to have what is unquestionably a better oil than 360. $7.50. Thats the difference between adequate and one of the best. Seems like a no brainer to me. And no insult intended.
you make good points and guilty as charged, stubborn and perhaps gullible at times..especially when the professionals and subject matter experts on the board are stating and recommending synthetics. I do listen to them and take their advice on matters, such as the time I was considering buying the SE full hi flow exhaust, SE ATM with WB 02s. I was advised I'd be much better off just getting a proper dyno tune, which i then did and they were right..bike runs better overall and saved me some beaucoup bucks...I may just switch to synthetics after all, especially since we ride year around and cold starts in Winter is another advantage not mentioned as much as the ability to manage heat better..thanks man