Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooled engines 'coking'

Old 09-18-2018, 04:57 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts
Default oil cooled engines 'coking'

ok, so very early on it was mentioned with the registered ET and head temps, etc., that perhaps something that may occur over time was that the oil in the passageways upon shutdown that didn't fully drain out could potentially burn and build up thus reducing flow....any builders out there see any indication or evidence of this occurring, or is this just not an issue..guessing no news is good news after two years as we all know if it was noticed it would have gotten some air time here...since so many people run synthetics one would assume their flash point could handle it, but folks like me that run conventional oil who knows..we have had the fan assisted oil coolers on ours so that should at least reduce oil temps before it gets to the cooling passages

edit: daggum it, just hit me, I should have asked that from our service tech when he replaced the heads on wife's 107 a few weeks ago..maybe I'll ask next time I'm down there if anything was noticed

Last edited by mjwebb; 09-18-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:50 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

MJ what was up with the heads on your wife's 107? Sorry if I missed that in a different thread. That would be the orange trike, right?

Old 09-18-2018, 06:03 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts

I could be wrong but I believe the flash point to be above 450f for most oils so I dont see it being a big concern..

Old 09-18-2018, 06:04 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
MJ what was up with the heads on your wife's 107? Sorry if I missed that in a different thread. That would be the orange trike, right?
took it in for excessive puking thru the AC breathers, making a real mess all over the right side...they followed troubleshooting steps from the MOCO and upon disassembly determined the valves had excessive carbon so just instructed and authorized to replace the heads..got updated AC breather breather tubes along with it and after 2000 miles it runs like a champ and no more AC breather messes...for all the bad rep the MOCO gets here they provided solutions under warranty so a win for us..glad we did all SE and bought the ESPs

edit: so pre-emptive strike on the next question..why was there excessive carbon build up in 20,000 miles
tech did say that she should get in the habit of the old 'blow the carbon' out real and wring it out more often..which she has been doing since..we just got back from a 1500 mile road trip and she was riding like Shayna Texter..Atta' Girl!

Last edited by mjwebb; 09-18-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 09-18-2018, 06:20 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Gotta love happy endings, thanks.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:54 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
ok, so very early on it was mentioned with the registered ET and head temps, etc., that perhaps something that may occur over time was that the oil in the passageways upon shutdown that didn't fully drain out could potentially burn and build up thus reducing flow....any builders out there see any indication or evidence of this occurring, or is this just not an issue..guessing no news is good news after two years as we all know if it was noticed it would have gotten some air time here...since so many people run synthetics one would assume their flash point could handle it, but folks like me that run conventional oil who knows..we have had the fan assisted oil coolers on ours so that should at least reduce oil temps before it gets to the cooling passages
Coking shouldn't be a problem until you get into the temps a turbo runs at. So if you turbocharge your bike, yeah, you need a good true synthetic. I ran a turbodiesel for 13 years using Mobil 1 5w-30, and when I trashed the car the turbo was still strong. (Body rusted out)

Old 09-18-2018, 09:53 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

I've done a lot of top ends on air cooled motors in the past. It was common to see an orange / brown build up in the heads when running dino oil even with regular oil changes. Another common area was the undersides of the pistons. Running a full synthetic, most of the times these area are now clean. Steve Cole was probably the first to mention coking and he felt it could be an issue with dino choking the passages. I would guess it's possible with dino but a good real synthetic I'd bet it's not an issue.. I've pretty much switched to M1 15w-50 automotive oil in all my bike's motors. Take the motor apart and the insides around the exhaust valves are nice and clean.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
guspi76 (09-23-2018), mjwebb (09-18-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 12:55 AM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
You didn't miss it. Your'e not going to see any post from him ******* these piles of ****. **** gobbler.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:52 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I've done a lot of top ends on air cooled motors in the past. It was common to see an orange / brown build up in the heads when running dino oil even with regular oil changes. Another common area was the undersides of the pistons. Running a full synthetic, most of the times these area are now clean. Steve Cole was probably the first to mention coking and he felt it could be an issue with dino choking the passages. I would guess it's possible with dino but a good real synthetic I'd bet it's not an issue.. I've pretty much switched to M1 15w-50 automotive oil in all my bike's motors. Take the motor apart and the insides around the exhaust valves are nice and clean.
All of this is good info and should be a notice to those that choose to use HD SYN-3 which is not a full synthetic despite what HD claims on the label.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:05 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

I use to do some coking but it had nothing to do with engine temps just lack of brains and being young. Haha

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (09-19-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil cooled engines 'coking'