Sponsored by:

M8 Sumping issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
Thanks guys for the responses.If the issues is truly something to do with crankcase venting as Max is suggesting, I would think Harley would be working overtime to correct this. Years ago cars had a simple primary crankcase vent in their valve cover, the PCV valve which vented the crankcase. Could the solution be that simple ? We use to install new ones all the time in my dad's auto shop in the 70's it was part of a tune up back in the day. Maybe the fix is simpler than we think.
isn't Harleys head breather configuration kinda' 'the same thing only different' as far as PCV, EGR, etc, etc..all just ways to vent and recirculate to satisfy emissions so to speak..?

Old 09-21-2018, 11:35 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
Thanks guys for the responses.If the issues is truly something to do with crankcase venting as Max is suggesting, I would think Harley would be working overtime to correct this. Years ago cars had a simple primary crankcase vent in their valve cover, the PCV valve which vented the crankcase. Could the solution be that simple ? We use to install new ones all the time in my dad's auto shop in the 70's it was part of a tune up back in the day. Maybe the fix is simpler than we think.

The problem is that simply venting won't work.. It have been mentioned that a deeper sump might help but some simple tweaks in the crankcase venting might help.. The issue is that HD needs a fix that can be applied to all M8s as any have the potential to fail.. The 2019 oil pump back plate looks to be one solution. Need to look at how it effects the scavenge pump.

In the mean time, my 17 RK runs just fine..

Old 09-22-2018, 03:55 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

This is interesting. Kind of an old school idea.... I like it. Combining this along with a good pump / plate would go a long way to permantly solving any oiling issues. Rediculous that Harley didnt do something like this from the beginning.

The following 2 users liked this post by MTBIG G:
JohnA. (09-22-2018), saddlebag (09-25-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 06:07 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
This is interesting. Kind of an old school idea.... I like it. Combining this along with a good pump / plate would go a long way to permantly solving any oiling issues. Rediculous that Harley didnt do something like this from the beginning.

https://youtu.be/B5WomRbeSTc
Thats a good looking and well thought out solution. Too bad it would be extremely expensive to have it done. His comments on how much variation he is seeing in the height of the stock port could explain why some bikes sump and others dont.

The following users liked this post:
MTBIG G (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 07:38 AM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
The Softail M8's apparently don't sump and they have two counterbalancers.
Softtails with M8s can and do sump. I had one that did. And, since I’m a true dumb-***, I think I’m going to try another one...

Old 09-22-2018, 07:49 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

Originally Posted by triumph900

Softtails with M8s can and do sump. I had one that did. And, since I’m a true dumb-***, I think I’m going to try another one...
LOL

Old 09-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G

https://youtu.be/B5WomRbeSTc
But Harley did early on.
I guess you could call it old school; as the knucks, pans. shovels and Evos had a scraper tho it is was in the back part of the motor instead of the sump. They used a timed breather gear to transfer all the oil to the cam case and the pump only had one scavenge pickup. IMO it's not the scraper that is helping in his case. It's the fact that he's extending the oil pickup hole.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...e-sumping.html

Old 09-22-2018, 09:16 AM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,668 Likes on 1,669 Posts
Default M8 Dumping Issues

I sure hope Tman patents his scrapper for the crank and sells it back to Harley if it truly fixed the isssue. He mentioned case capacity, you would think that Harley would machine new cases which hold more oil to avoid the pump running dry as the crank spins. As far as pressure build up under the crank,I remember installing Dogherty power vents on my old Evo. As I remember they were designed to eliminated crank pressure build up.I think the owner was Tom if my memory serves me well. I believe he had a patent on his product. Maybe someone should look into his product as a possible solution to help with the sumping issues.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:03 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

Lol. Thats what I did with my touring. Couldve bought low mileage 16 Limited that would've put me money ahead - very tempting. Ended up deciding on another M8 and have no regrets... so far

Old 09-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,657 Likes on 3,223 Posts

When someone would post on the forum saying, "Softails don't sump" I would counter with your case.

But some have said the symptoms you described didn't sound like sumping.....

Quick Reply: M8 Sumping issues