Sponsored by:

Stage II or Stage III ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 05:56 PM
b407driver
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Stage II or Stage III ?

I'm hoping to seal the deal on a '19 RG soon. I don't care for the blacked out look on the Specials, so I'm considering either a Stage II or III on a regular RG with the 107. No matter which I decide on, I want to know if there are other things I should do since the cam chest will be open. I want to stick with HD parts for two reasons: Warranty and I get a nice discount. Should I do Screamin' Eagle lifters? (torque cam if I go Stage II). Should I change the inner cam bearings? Anything else I should do while the engine is open?

Old 09-21-2018, 09:54 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by b407driver
I'm hoping to seal the deal on a '19 RG soon. I don't care for the blacked out look on the Specials, so I'm considering either a Stage II or III on a regular RG with the 107. No matter which I decide on, I want to know if there are other things I should do since the cam chest will be open. I want to stick with HD parts for two reasons: Warranty and I get a nice discount. Should I do Screamin' Eagle lifters? (torque cam if I go Stage II). Should I change the inner cam bearings? Anything else I should do while the engine is open?

very cool, congrats..interesting dilemma on spending your money on the cam bearing and lifters upgrades, since they aren't required for the Stage 2..if you add them in the first 60 days they will be covered and any subsequent damage they may cause due to failure during the factory 2 year and ESP if you go that route...but if you leave the OEM bearing and lifters in and beyond 60 days they fail and cause damage it's obviously covered, but if you decide to have the SE bearing and lifter upgrades installed during the rebuild, and they fail and cause engine damage at some point, the warranty will not cover the collateral damage..it's a risk cuz on the one hand you want to believe the upgraded parts are less prone to failure, but that doesn't mean they will be

The following users liked this post:
madmat (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 02:42 PM
madmat
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
very cool, congrats..interesting dilemma on spending your money on the cam bearing and lifters upgrades, since they aren't required for the Stage 2..if you add them in the first 60 days they will be covered and any subsequent damage they may cause due to failure during the factory 2 year and ESP if you go that route...but if you leave the OEM bearing and lifters in and beyond 60 days they fail and cause damage it's obviously covered, but if you decide to have the SE bearing and lifter upgrades installed during the rebuild, and they fail and cause engine damage at some point, the warranty will not cover the collateral damage..it's a risk cuz on the one hand you want to believe the upgraded parts are less prone to failure, but that doesn't mean they will be
Very well explained mjwebb

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 03:31 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Do you want it to sump? Go III or IV then.
If not, probably II.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Smokin' Joe
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2018 Road Glide. Like you, I don't like the blacked out look or the gloss inner fairing (glare). When I purchased the bike (July 2018) I had the stage 2 torque cam and all of the tuner/autotuner components installed. I took the bike in 3 days ago for the 5000 mile service. The dealer informed me that I was the 4th customer that week who's bike was transferring fluids. In my case it was 12 ounces. There was no mention of anything being amiss at the 1000 mile service.
They made a note of the fluid transfer in the service log and sent me on my way. I was told to bring the bike back after 1000 miles and they will check for transfer again.
I was told that, if there was evidence of transfer, they replace a seal (not sure which one). If it is still transferring fluids a tech/rep from HD comes in and they drill and install a vent tube. The tech/rep then takes the bike on a 30 mile test ride and they look at the tube for fluids. If no fluids, it's considered fixed. They didn't really get into what happens if there is fluid in the vent tube. We'll have a serious discussion sometime in the near future.
I knew about the potential for this problem before I bought the bike. I put a 5 year warranty on the bike and all HD components to keep the warranty in tact. I'm not worried about it unless it leaves me on the side of the road. I ride a lot in the Appalachian mountains where there is no cell service for long stretches of road.
I don't ride the bike hard. The torque cam was chosen for having a little extra at low RPM coming out of corners. If I was going to ride hard I would have chosen the horsepower cam that comes into its own about 500 RPM higher. I avoided the sage 3 and stage 4 because it seemed that bikes that had those mods were the ones experiencing "sumping".
Most of my miles are on mountain roads with RPM between 2000 and 3250 RPM, usually somewhere in the middle. Getting to the mountains is mostly on two lane highways at 50 to 60 MPH.