Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner question.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:57 PM
HDJeff14
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner question.

I just bought a 2018 road glide and I will eventually be completing the stage one upgrade but for now, I'm leaving it stock. I know that when the bike is stock from the factory, its very lean and was wondering if I installed the SESPT, would it make a noticeable difference with the bike stock? Like reducing the heat of the motor? Or should I just wait till I do the pipes and AC? Mind you id be looking into the power vision ect if it wouldn't void the warranty so my question is concerning the SESPT.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:05 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,500 Likes on 4,412 Posts

Originally Posted by hdjeff14
i just bought a 2018 road glide and i will eventually be completing the stage one upgrade but for now, i'm leaving it stock. I know that when the bike is stock from the factory, its very lean and was wondering if i installed the sespt, would it make a noticeable difference with the bike stock? Like reducing the heat of the motor? or should i just wait till i do the pipes and ac? mind you id be looking into the power vision ect if it wouldn't void the warranty so my question is concerning the sespt.
no
no
yes

The following users liked this post:
Oz Dan (09-26-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 04:13 PM
BigDipper15
Club Member
Received 318 Likes on 170 Posts

Agree with mjwebb. I did a Stage 1 heavy breather on my 18 SG and have vance and hines mufflers. Tuned with the SEPST by Harley. The air cleaner and tune did make a noticeable difference in torque and HP in certain RPM ranges. I'm going to put some power duals on soon and have then tweak the tune with the SEPST. The SEPST is far from ideal as a tuner. Once my 2 years is up I will go with a powervision and dyno tune for sure.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:14 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

I would wait until warranty is up. Most dealers say the SEPST is a joke and waste of money. I asked 2 different dealers and they said they would not tune my bike with it. They recommended the PV or Thundermax.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:21 PM
HDJeff14
Advanced

Well thanks for the info. I just dont want to void the warranty but also don't want to wait 2 years to do some upgrades. Are harley dealerships that **** when it comes to aftermarket tuners? And what if I just put some slipons on. According to the dealer i would still need a tuner. Otherwise you get alot of decal popping.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:31 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,500 Likes on 4,412 Posts

Originally Posted by HDJeff14
Well thanks for the info. I just dont want to void the warranty but also don't want to wait 2 years to do some upgrades. Are harley dealerships that **** when it comes to aftermarket tuners? And what if I just put some slipons on. According to the dealer i would still need a tuner. Otherwise you get alot of decal popping.
you're obviously entering the forum late in the game..no, some are just really stupid to offer to install aftermarket tuners turning compliant engines into non compliant ones..they all should be '****' by refusing to as the MOCO has emphatically told them that's a HUGE no no..throw some slip-ons on and if it snap, crackles or pops then use the SEPST if you care about warranty, it should clean things up for many muffs, for certain the SE Canons

Old 09-24-2018, 08:24 PM
uriel
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If your #1 concern is warranty, then slipons are as far as you should go. Keep your stock mufflers handy in case you need to take in for work until warranty expires. Decel popping shouldn't be a problem. It wasn't for me atleast. Maybe depends on slipons. If your in search of more sound, the slipons regardless of manufacturer won't do much. For that reason I added headers, high flow breather, and fp3 tuner. And honestly i can say I still haven't and probably won't find the sound I'm looking for. I thought I found it with the zombie baffles but for me they weren't worth the trade off for the significant loss on the low end. Not to mention a little obnoxious.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:26 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

I am using aftermarket megaphone mufflers on my 19 rgs with no tuner and it runs fine with no crackling

Old 09-24-2018, 11:23 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by HDJeff14
Are harley dealerships that **** when it comes to aftermarket tuners?.
It's much worse than that.

Harley is under federal court order that they MUST immediately and irrevocably void the warranty on any 2017+ bike if they have ANY knowledge that an aftermarket tuner was used.

If you use an aftermarket tuner, your warranty is gone, period.

The following users liked this post:
FM500 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:03 AM
HDJeff14
Advanced

Excellent info. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuner question.