Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sumping Sorted

Old 09-30-2018, 08:07 PM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 597 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Myself I have to shake my head at the ones that have gone through 3 or 4 engines, that's like hitting the lotto 2 weeks running far as I'm concerned, what are the odds ?
I'd be willing to bet it has more to do with riding habits and conditions than luck.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 08:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,779 Likes on 17,441 Posts

Originally Posted by d_slat
I'd be willing to bet it has more to do with riding habits and conditions than luck.
As a lifelong mechanic I always look for the common denominator on repeats, usually isn't a mechanical issue..........

Old 09-30-2018, 08:48 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,362 Likes on 3,997 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
As a lifelong mechanic I always look for the common denominator on repeats, usually isn't a mechanical issue..........

Obvioulsy, any bike/car/truck (or any vehicle) ridden closer, and more frequently, at/near it's limits... will develop more problems over time.

But, we are not talking about something getting worn out or broken, that then leads to sumping...

There is a problem with an engine design, that cannot be operated within its limits (allowed RPM range/regulated by a speed limiter), without an issue (sumping) developing....

I personally don't care if it's 10 out of 10,000 bikes or 5,000 out of 10,000 bikes that develop the issue... The fact that the MoCo can't (or won't) reliably fix it when it happens under warranty, is both a design issue and lack of support, in my mind...

Last edited by hattitude; 09-30-2018 at 08:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
Campy Roadie (10-03-2018), triumph900 (10-01-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 09:06 PM
George Bryce
Cruiser
Received 206 Likes on 83 Posts

I believe, the seal behind the oil pump will help some issues.
I like the idea, it is nothing at all like the other revisions that have been introduced.
Of course I will maintain that no oil pump will fix poor piston ring seal

Campy Roadie (10-03-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 09:13 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,779 Likes on 17,441 Posts

Originally Posted by George Bryce
I believe, the seal behind the oil pump will help some issues.
I like the idea, it is nothing at all like the other revisions that have been introduced.
Of course I will maintain that no oil pump will fix poor piston ring seal
You are going to have to explain this as I'm not making a connection between what's going on with these motors and ring sealing, there was blow by going on it's push oil out of the crank not suck it in.

George Bryce (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 09:16 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,355 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Maybe I shouldn't even post in this thread because obviously I don't own a bike with an M8 in it, and I'm not insinuating anyone on here is lying as it appears there is a problem with these motors but...

Earlier in the summer I was sitting outside at the dealership and this guy rides up on what appeared to be a new Road Glide. He walks in and comes out with a service guy and they start looking at the rear of the bike. The tech rides off, comes back and they start talking and the bikes owner says "this should happen in only 250 miles"?

Ends up my son has done work for this *******, and he was bragging about how he got Harley Davidson to replace his drive belt. He bragged he was trying to do wheelies with it and tore the belt up.

Some are probably having legitimate issues with the M8, but some... makes you wonder.

Last edited by firehawk6; 09-30-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:06 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Hmmmm interesting theory. I guess riding for 50 yrs with lots of bikes and the same riding style it MUST be the common theme for an M8 that sumps 3 engines? Not a single one of my bikes over those years ever sumped. My other current bike has 75,000 miles with ONLY MY RIDING STYLE and the bike never had a serious engine issue and never sumping. YEAH, I guess it must be the riding style. Jeeze, pretty lame.

MoCo is on their 10th?? M8 oil pump design in less than 18 months..Sure....they must be redesigning the M8s oil pump to better accomodate “riding styles”! Come on, do some of you guys believe your own BS?

Pretty funny listening to those trying to make excuses for the MoCo and blame the rider for something that is clearly an engine design defect.

Last edited by Heatwave; 09-30-2018 at 10:16 PM.
triumph900 (10-01-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 10:22 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,493 Likes on 4,409 Posts

it ain't freaking riding style... Dear Lord..coming up on 30 K service and we've ridden these things hard and tortured them in brutal heat loaded down steady at 85 + thru Idaho, Montana, Canada highways...played cat and mouse thru the river canyons and high elevations banging thru the gears in triple digit temps, you name it..it's just (bad) luck of the draw getting a poorly put together engine in some form or another

Old 09-30-2018, 10:28 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
Yea you'll fit right in.Make a fake sump post.
I know there's been 12 M8's sump in Australia total out of over 4000 sold, so yea maybe the US bikes aren't made as well or sumping.
I don't understand why the MC is revising oil pumps and adding pump seals and what not. There's only been 12 of them that have had any problems. Seems like a lot of effort/cost to spend on 12 of them.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:32 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
it ain't freaking riding style... Dear Lord..coming up on 30 K service and we've ridden these things hard and tortured them in brutal heat loaded down steady at 85 + thru Idaho, Montana, Canada highways...played cat and mouse thru the river canyons and high elevations banging thru the gears in triple digit temps, you name it..it's just (bad) luck of the draw getting a poorly put together engine in some form or another
I thought I remembered reading that you posted that you were keeping yours below 3K to keep it from transferring?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sumping Sorted