Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Sumping Sorted (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1255168-sumping-sorted.html)

Peter Quinn 09-27-2018 06:10 AM

Sumping Sorted

I am very surprised at the lack of excitement or interest on the news of a Harley Davidson developed sumping seal solution.
As some of our technical Gurus have cleverly surmised it works by closing in the compression which escapes through the
bearing and crancase housing.Evidently this increased pressure assists to keep the pump primed during sustained high RPM runs.
No I was not one of those astute Geniuses! I was told of the developement by a Master Tech Instructor that I was with at Sturgis.
Time will tell but at least we can have a Beer and a Cheer?

Tonebender 09-27-2018 06:16 AM

Since I am patiently waiting for this issue to be ironed out before I purchase an M8, my question would be, is this fix/modification on all 2019 models?

ekb55 09-27-2018 06:27 AM

Not surprised

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn (Post 17712957)
I am very surprised at the lack of excitement or interest on the news of a Harley Davidson developed sumping seal solution.
As some of our technical Gurus have cleverly surmised it works by closing in the compression which escapes through the
bearing and crancase housing.Evidently this increased pressure assists to keep the pump primed during sustained high RPM runs.
No I was not one of those astute Geniuses! I was told of the developement by a Master Tech Instructor that I was with at Sturgis.

I for one am not surprised. It is much easier to complain than to compliment. Stand-by for the "I'll believe it when I see it", "I don't think that will solve it", on and on and on. But do NOT wait for a positive comment or a thank you MOCO.

Just my 2c worth.

msnyder 09-27-2018 07:14 AM

There are already videos out of 2019 m8 sumping...actually I think they are both CVO,s. About $45,000.00 a piece. One made it 185 miles. I have been thinking about a 2019 RGU with the 114" but that was when I was thinking "they have probably cleaned up there act with the new ones". LOL I have a 2017 RGU which neither sumps
(so far) or transfrs fluid (so far). But I,m not sure I will roll the dice on another one. Spending that much money and HOPING that I get a good one again?
NO not today anyway..

jamala00 09-27-2018 07:57 AM

Have you read this thread yet?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...19-sumped.html

msnyder 09-27-2018 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by jamala00 (Post 17713199)

I have read it. And I also would like to know if the 2019 bikes that are sumping have the pump plate with the seal. But like the engine builders and other knowedgeable posters have said. Pump revisions are an attempt to band aid other more serious flaws and shortcomings. Poor scavenge port placement in the cases, cylinders out of round (causing excessive leakdown and blowby), and other things that I can,t even remember. George Bryce posted his beliefs some time back. He and Steve Cole have built some serious M8,s with the original design pumps with No sumping problems. There builds work because of there attention to detail and good engine building practices. Not the F---- it ship it MoCo way. Max

jpooch00 09-28-2018 03:19 PM

Just waiting to see if it actually works? That would be my guess.

Isn't this something like the 8th. or so "fix" for sumping that they've come up with so far?

Doesn't seem like they're having much luck with their multiple attempts at bandaid fixes for the M8 issues.

GTK 09-28-2018 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by ekb55 (Post 17713010)
I for one am not surprised. It is much easier to complain than to compliment. Stand-by for the "I'll believe it when I see it", "I don't think that will solve it", on and on and on. But do NOT wait for a positive comment or a thank you MOCO.

Just my 2c worth.

Really have to agree with your response. What really irks me are the replies from the key board commandos who do not even own a M8 and hate every thing Moco does.

badcooky 09-28-2018 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by GTK (Post 17717242)
Really have to agree with your response. What really irks me are the replies from the key board commandos who do not even own a M8 and hate every thing Moco does.

The 19 that sumped was put together without a seal apparently, that's why it sumped.But the 19's sump is all we'll hear about that.
Yea you guys are right though the M8 threads are run by guys with out them and are upset when we ride them and have so much fun on such awesome bikes , without sumping they are nothing,where will they go I almost feel sorry for the stinking fuking maggots .
So many fake sumpings too It's a sad state of affairs , petty envy from jealous punks. .

Steve Cole 09-28-2018 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by badcooky (Post 17717300)
The 19 that sumped was put together without a seal apparently, that's why it sumped.But the 19's sump is all we'll hear about that.
Yea you guys are right though the M8 threads are run by guys with out them and are upset when we ride them and have so much fun on such awesome bikes , without sumping they are nothing,where will they go I almost feel sorry for the stinking fuking maggots .
So many fake sumpings too It's a sad state of affairs , petty envy from jealous punks. .

We deal with dealerships from around the world daily, all the time. To date we have had 3 - 4 2019 bikes that have been brought back to dealerships for sumping 1 was a CVO the others I do not know. I also do not know the details on any of them at this time. I am waiting to see what they end up finding and if they call back and tell me. That said, you can make of it what you like but IMHO it doesn't sound like it's fixed.