Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Tach?

Old 09-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
$25 for a half hour labor? That place is either stuck in time a couple decades ago or really values a customer. Stick with them AND their integrity.
The $25 was what it cost to have the part chromed.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:02 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by 6113_
I asked a couple dealers back in January but neither knew enough about much of anything to come up with an answer. Laidlaw's had a police bike at the time, same thing as OP said, tach is where the speedometer is and speedo is relocated to the handlebars. You can see the tach in the parts catalogs, but I don't know if there's enough information to tell what cables are used or if anything has to be reprogrammed to make it work

something is obviously out there that brings it all together as police bikes are coming from the factory with a seperate tach and speedometer
Having a separate tach and speedo isn't an issue. The Police King comes from the factory with the speedo on the handlebars and the tach on the tank where the speedo on the current Road King resides.

To purchase that set up your looking at well over $1k just in parts. The goal was to mount the tach on the bars as HD did on the Pre-14 Police King.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

You can install and after market tach by simply connecting into the primary wire for one cylinder on the coil. The pink wire is no longer available. Drag Catalog has a a few.

I went a different route as I wanted to use the can bus.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...o-a-m8-rk.html

I found that the Speed Hut Tack wanted ODBII tach message and by default the message is not sent out of the bus. At power on the tech sends out a couple messages to request the message but they are not recognized by the ECM. I added a translator that reads HD tack messages and translates them to ODBII messages.

It would be interesting to see Speed Hut add the request to the tach and come up with a cup that will hold the tach.. They already seem to have a bracket that could be used.

The following users liked this post:
Karlesto (05-23-2020)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:20 PM
billyo00769
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2018 RK and I would also like a handlebar tachometer.
Especially on dangerous mountain roads with cliffs on both sides of the road, switchbacks and steep grades- it is dangerous to look down all the time at that little LCD readout.
Harley sells the tach mounting bracket- but no tach! Weird.

There has to be a way (??) right?
Let me know if you figure out a way, please.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:20 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Originally Posted by billyo00769
I have a 2018 RK and I would also like a handlebar tachometer.
Especially on dangerous mountain roads with cliffs on both sides of the road, switchbacks and steep grades- it is dangerous to look down all the time at that little LCD readout.
Harley sells the tach mounting bracket- but no tach! Weird.

There has to be a way (??) right?
Let me know if you figure out a way, please.
Many of us have been riding 30+ years without a tach and instead relied on the engine to tell us what to do.

Maybe since the M8 is so smooth and quiet the feedback is no longer present?

Old 10-03-2018, 03:26 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I used a primary wire type tach (not on a RK) and it was a quick, easy install and worked great. Don't remember the brand but it wasn't expensive.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:49 AM
billyo00769
Advanced

I just went to 3 dealers in the area. They said that since 2014 the BCM won't allow it.

I think they are full of crap myself. The police 2018's have the tach/speedo separate. The dynas have a tach. The other 2018 touring bikes have a tach.
The RK itself has a tach LCD readout.
There ought to be a way to at least split the LCD readout to a handlebar mounted LCD tachometer so we do not have to look down 100 times per day at that little LCD screen on the speedometer console.
It is strenuous on the neck, dangerous to take your eyes off the road and ridiculous that Harley doesn't address this problem that so many want resolved.

The following users liked this post:
6113_ (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 10:07 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,997 Likes on 12,901 Posts

I just went to 3 dealers in the area. They said that since 2014 the BCM won't allow it.

I think they are full of crap myself. The police 2018's have the tach/speedo separate. The dynas have a tach. The other 2018 touring bikes have a tach.
There ought to be a way to at least split the LCD readout to a handlebar mounted LCD tachometer so we do not have to look down 100 times per day at that little LCD screen on the speedometer console.
It is strenuous on the neck, dangerous to take your eyes off the road and ridiculous that Harley doesn't address this problem that so many want resolved.
agreed

I guess the only way to know for sure is to find someone with a police model and visually inspect it to see what's going on. I think I tried looking at the parts manual before but never came to a conclusion about anything

Old 10-25-2018, 10:09 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

They are, You can use a primary coil version tach or come up with a CAN bus version tach. See the link above.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:47 AM
billyo00769
Advanced

The dealer said I can't wire a tach to the coil because it will mess up the computer. I asked why the police bikes have separate speedo/tach, the other touring bikes have a separate tachometer, but this same engine and year motorcycle- you can't do it (??).
You could make 1000 dollars producing this tach you designed yourself as hundreds of people across the country want this.
When I saw your tach and code writing abilities, my jaw dropped. This is exactly what I need.

I contact HD and they tell me to buy the drop-in combo tach/speedo.
What good does that do? Makes everything smaller. The whole point of a handlebar tach is: Safety- keeps my eyes from looking down at this LCD screen all day when touring and keeps my eyes near the road.
My coils do not have any terminals (that I can see) to connect the tach to, either.
Man. This really sucks that for 30 years I've had tachs on my handlebars. I go out and spend 30 grand on a RK and find out after the sale that it can't be done.

PS. like everyone else is saying...you are a genius.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road King Tach?