Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

117 Cvo Limited....2nd engine in 2000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 05:01 AM
Peak Seaker
Road Master
Received 925 Likes on 385 Posts

Stock 114, had them put stage three kit in before taking it home. New oil pump with the seal is NOT part of the stage kits and my dealership did not catch the fact that it did not have it in there.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:53 AM
Bud Bennett
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Heatwave

Here we go again! When will the guys chanting “sumping doesn’t effect that many bikes” finally wake up? Sorry to hear of your troubles. I’m sorry to say but you have a hard road of frustration ahead. I went through 4 engines on my 2017 CVO Limited. I’m finally out of the bike and I can say I don’t miss the bike in the least.

Having seen 2 yrs of BS and 10 revisions of the oil pump, trust me, all you guys have a huge amount of disappointment ahead. Each if the previous revised oil pumps were all considered to be the “FINAL” solution to sumping issues. Various sized nserts to the inlet, polishing, torque specs and now a gasket. Trust me, there’s not a chance in hell that this latest version will be any different from the previous versions.

its all tinkering around the serious design defect in the engine case itself. You guys can deny it all you want but until the M8 case is redesigned to address oil flow, we will continue to see more and more bikes sumping and sad stories from brand new bike owners. Sorry to say this, but welcome to the sumping party that HD refuses to acknowledge as a recall.
I have a 2018 SGS with stage III and had slumping issue last fall. Took to dealership in November 2019 and even though they identified the slumping issue at first, the bike was still under warranty I was advised that it would be all my cost to get fixed or even looked at. I contacted the MoCo and they stood behind behind me on that and it was "fixed" under warranty. Got the bike back April 2020 and the first ride of the year, end of May 2020, had a catastrophic engine failure with what sounded like metal on metal noises coming from the engine and a strong smell of burned oil. I finally got them to strip it down, an hour at a time owing to other appointments and everything is melted in the bottom, from and rear and now they are still waiting for Harley to decide what they are going to do about it, no word yet. I asked the dealer for a copy of the photo's / measurements they got for Harley but they won't give them to me so I can get my head around what the issue could be. The dealer says that's between them and Harley even after I explained its my bike and my motor. What else can I do from this end. I already have a lawyer looking into saying the dealer and the service manager for denying me access to the requested documents as I am being told there are no trade secrets to protect its just the dealership being difficult. It is my bike and no legal right to deny me the information. I know this will take a year or more to get through the Courts but I am prepared to take it just to prove a point. I think this is some sort of payback because of the first instance where the MoCo had to tell the dealership the motor will be covered under warranty. Would I be wrong to insist on a new motor as they can't determine what caused this so it's no good to watchword fix it until they know what caused it

Old 06-14-2020, 10:01 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Bennett
I have a 2018 SGS with stage III and had slumping issue last fall. Took to dealership in November 2019 and even though they identified the slumping issue at first, the bike was still under warranty I was advised that it would be all my cost to get fixed or even looked at. I contacted the MoCo and they stood behind behind me on that and it was "fixed" under warranty. Got the bike back April 2020 and the first ride of the year, end of May 2020, had a catastrophic engine failure with what sounded like metal on metal noises coming from the engine and a strong smell of burned oil. I finally got them to strip it down, an hour at a time owing to other appointments and everything is melted in the bottom, from and rear and now they are still waiting for Harley to decide what they are going to do about it, no word yet. I asked the dealer for a copy of the photo's / measurements they got for Harley but they won't give them to me so I can get my head around what the issue could be. The dealer says that's between them and Harley even after I explained its my bike and my motor. What else can I do from this end. I already have a lawyer looking into saying the dealer and the service manager for denying me access to the requested documents as I am being told there are no trade secrets to protect its just the dealership being difficult. It is my bike and no legal right to deny me the information. I know this will take a year or more to get through the Courts but I am prepared to take it just to prove a point. I think this is some sort of payback because of the first instance where the MoCo had to tell the dealership the motor will be covered under warranty. Would I be wrong to insist on a new motor as they can't determine what caused this so it's no good to watchword fix it until they know what caused it
my M8 was slumping so I increased the shock preload which improved its posture

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Cosmic Razorback (06-15-2020), Germansheperd (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 11:34 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Sorry to read of your problems. That is awful to have to go through. Seems like your question is about the dealer shop refusing to communicate with you about what they are doing to your bike. Agreed that this is a bad posture for the dealer shop to take. But most likely there will be little you can realistically do about it. Here IMO is the major limitation of a warranty. You're at the mercy of the dealer shop. If you've got a good relationship with the shop folk, you'll do a lot better, than by being antagonistic. Unfortunately, since they've got us by the ***** we are forced to play nice and smile.

I'm curious about the initial claim that your first sump event wasn't covered by warranty. How did the dealer shop justify this position?

Old 06-14-2020, 05:43 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 969 Likes on 556 Posts

It's a posture issue. Proper terminology is slouching not slumping. As mjwebb mentioned, adjusting preload should solve the problem.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:32 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

ok, the guy meant to put sumping, we get it. I'd rather hear about the engine issue and if/how its resolved. Many could benefit from that info.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:48 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 969 Likes on 556 Posts

That info is out there and is rediculously easy to find. Use the search feature if you want to know more.

Frankly most of us are a little jaded with the whole "slumping" topic.... especially when its from a new guy with zero cred.

The following users liked this post:
bradsULtd (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 07:49 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

well I do hope the MOCO does him right on this..the good news is sumping and trans fluid transfer went from daily front page headline news for such a looooong time to basically non-existent with the MOCO remedies implemented in 2019

Old 06-15-2020, 11:41 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
That info is out there and is rediculously easy to find. Use the search feature if you want to know more.

Frankly most of us are a little jaded with the whole "slumping" topic.... especially when its from a new guy with zero cred.

yea, I get it. slumping was funny, but the grenading engine thing....its just wtf each time one reads it. Dunno.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:41 PM
xupd42bmg
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G

Whats to be jaded about... It's a very real problem that can be caused by oil pump, piston oil seal, cooling jets..ect
I guess transfer is myth too..lmao

Quick Reply: 117 Cvo Limited....2nd engine in 2000 miles