Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

117 Cvo Limited....2nd engine in 2000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 10:02 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

was at our dealership today and saw a Brown 2019 CVO Ultra and was drooling over how awesome it was..then thought about spending $45K and if this happened and even after they fixed it how i wouldn't't want it anymore

Old 09-30-2018, 10:50 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pensioncracker
Im about to pull my hair out but i cant. Im bald. Im 58 years old been riding harleys since 1980.

i figured id treat myself to a new 2018 CVO Limited with the 117 C.I. engine. And i did. At 600 miles the oil pump sumped and bike overheated and died. Bike went to dealer. I went to Uber with my girl and went home.

Oil pump was changed for the "revised" oil pump and two weeks later i got my bike back.

The bike ran until 700 miles then the engine started to sound like it was coming apart. Back i go to dealer. This time the cam assembly bracket had cracked. They replaced both.

Why no recall or bulliten on this i dont know. They replaced it or them not sure with a "redesigned" bracket.
How there was a redesigned improved bracket in july when i just took delivery end of April i dont know.

On the dealers test of the brand new top end it overheated again at 13 miles. They also found the pistons scoring the walls of the cylinders. I requested a new engine from millwalkie. They said sorry. I begged. They said sorry.
i posted this story on the stockholders web site and 3 days later i had a new engine. Problem solved. No.

With new engine on 75 degree day riding 1 up the bike again overheated to 308 degrees and sumped. The bike was full of oil cold before i left the house. I was on the return leg of 200 mile day and the bike got sluggish on the highway.
i pulled over and checked the engine temp it was 308 degrees and there was no oil on the stick meaning at least a quart of oil was sumped and stuck up in the engine not able to find its way down to the pan.

Shes back at the dealer now and they said the cylinders are also scored again. They have a few 117's doing this and the fact that an engine replacement didnt fix this issue is concerning.

The bike will be down about 8 weeks in total since end of April.
I love this bike. It is the most powerfull bike ive ever had and the most gorgeous machine ever....but....it is unreliable as is the Factories ability to get to the root cause.

wish me luck...
thanks

Would you mind send ing me the link to the stockholders web site? I am in the same boat as you and getting the run around. I want my bike back or I am going to lemon law it soon.

The following 2 users liked this post by D W K:
Kseeley (06-17-2020), Oldskewl (10-01-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 10:55 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Sorry to hear of your issues.

Just out of curiosity, how were you riding it?
- speeds?
- RPM range?

Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 AM
Pensioncracker
Supporter
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Sorry to hear of your issues.

Just out of curiosity, how were you riding it?
- speeds?
- RPM range?
The first time it overheated to the point where the computer shut it down i was in 35 mph wounded warrior procession, 2 up, on my 15th mile or so. Oil was burnt up per dealer. Oil pump failure per dealer. Temps over 315.

Cam bracket as they called it cracked about 700 miles after the 600 mile pump failure. Also saw cylinder scoring with scope per dealer.

Factory decided to allow 2 new heads, pistons, jugs all that stuff. After assembly, it overheated on the dealer durring a test ride 13 miles into a 20 mile ride.

New engine installed.....

Two weekends ago i was on highway returning home 6th gear running with traffic about 80 mph.
Bike got slugish. Found temp at 308 and oil dip stick dry.
added 1 qt.

Let it cool and rode home speeds at 60 mph. Got home temps 285. Brought to dealer. He scoped cylinders found both scored by pistions.

so basically this motor or these motors failed both at low rpm and crusing rpm.

2200 miles on the bike.
ill say again. I love this bike. Dont want to lemon law it yet but.....so far things dont look good.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:09 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

ill say again. I love this bike. Dont want to lemon law it yet but.....so far things dont look good.
I'd consider at least getting everything lined up to LL it, as I'm sure that whole process is time consuming and a little proactive investigation might reduce it if/when you are ready to pull the trigger..I'd have a real hard time not proceeding due to the cost of the bike and loss of confidence going forward no matter what they do..would rather, if possible, have them take it back, refund my money and start over with something else....easier said than done, but good luck..this totally sucks!!!

Old 10-01-2018, 10:37 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

The first time it overheated to the point where the computer shut it down i was in 35 mph wounded warrior procession, 2 up, on my 15th mile or so. Oil was burnt up per dealer. Oil pump failure per dealer. Temps over 315.

Cam bracket as they called it cracked about 700 miles after the 600 mile pump failure. Also saw cylinder scoring with scope per dealer.

Factory decided to allow 2 new heads, pistons, jugs all that stuff. After assembly, it overheated on the dealer durring a test ride 13 miles into a 20 mile ride.

New engine installed.....

Two weekends ago i was on highway returning home 6th gear running with traffic about 80 mph.
Bike got slugish. Found temp at 308 and oil dip stick dry.
added 1 qt.

Let it cool and rode home speeds at 60 mph. Got home temps 285. Brought to dealer. He scoped cylinders found both scored by pistions.

so basically this motor or these motors failed both at low rpm and crusing rpm.

2200 miles on the bike.
Damn! That really sucks! Thanks for the reply, and I hope you get it worked out.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:42 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,160 Likes on 3,518 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
Cam Assembly bracket? Do you mean cam plate? If so, I've never heard of one "cracking".

FYI... Oil collects in the bottom of the engine case or 'sump'. It doesn't get "stuck up in the engine" during sumping.

Hope everything works out for you.
I do believe he was talking about the cam plate. Sounds to me like they installed it wrong if it cracked. Can't think of any way it could crack otherwise.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:24 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

Thanks for following up Pensioncracker. I totally understand the frustration.

Last edited by MTBIG G; 10-01-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:23 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

No doubt the first time it overheated the pistons, jugs, cam were all toast. The moco knew it, the dealer knew it but they slapped a bandaid on it hoping it would limp until the warranty ran out. Nothing short of an entire new motor will suffice (if I were in your shoes). Glad to hear you got smart and posted up something that got the mocos attention (great move!).

Let's just put the question of whether a 2019 will sump shall we? According to a few here the moco now has the fix with the lipped O ring and camplate cover. If this is truly "the fix" I'd say the 19's built in the later part of the year will include this fix.

Obviously the 1st round didn't get it. Come to think of it, imagine being the moco and having to deliver the 2019 models to all your dealerships nationwide and across the ocean, imagine the amount of bikes stored prior to that release. it must be warehouse after warehouse of bikes built months ago, not weeks. So that new fix no doubt didn';t make it's way intot he first batch of 19's.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Oldskewl; 10-01-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:37 PM
RobertJO
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Of course its not like the sumping issue just started with the inception of the 2018-2019 models transition. And whether the "new" fix will remedy it completely remains to be seen.

Last edited by RobertJO; 10-01-2018 at 01:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Oldskewl (10-01-2018)

Quick Reply: 117 Cvo Limited....2nd engine in 2000 miles