Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i got to spend some time with miss warranty and

Old 10-04-2018, 05:10 PM
jsrracing
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Default i got to spend some time with miss warranty and

I got to spend some time with HD warranty admin ,she is a very nice lady as was everyone there . In fact she let me read the internal documents from corp on warranty. I know its been talked about (i think i just puked a little). Im not very good at com with a keyboard and she could not let me take pic so , take how you will .

1. corp requires pictures no pic ,no pay , pics trigger all the other requests they make for approval. They are looking for mods (ANY PART THAT DID NOT COME ON BIKE)
2. It also states (listen close very close) the part must be harley davidson parts installed by a authorized harley davidson dealer . This also includes SE parts
3. every every every thing that a dealer puts on your bike corp knows by sku and dealer code.

I know everyone thinks hop ups but its not just hop ups take part 62400206 from what i understand dont even think about doing it yourself putting a set of street cannons on yourself i dont think so . I felt corp docs made this very clear .They are hyper-freak right down to the bolts on the power train

SE dealer installed engine stage/parts , they better get right all around or the dealer will be paying .

This group of docs were pretty long winded and they were highlighting and getting reading for a big meeting that i was not invited to .

SEE YOUR WARRANTY ADMIN BEFORE YOU OR YOUR DEALER CHANGE ANYTHING AND I MEAN ANYTHING

I love my 18 classic and just wanted to install the new pump plate/seal I got a lot of different answers so i went stright to the source . They are under severe crack down from corp

Quotes i overheard today ( I guess they think they have too many dealers and want to dump a bunch) ( corp does not care about anything but that dam ele bike becouse of the epa )

I dont want to start a flame war but a calm conversation is welcome . I just felt pretty shocked from how i felt it was and how it really is and had to share .

to me bolt on ment I could do = False

Last edited by jsrracing; 10-04-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,614 Posts

Interesting. I had V&H Eliminator 400s, installed by V&H in Sturgis in 2017 (only power train mod, no tuner, stock head pipes, no AC, etc).

2 engines replaced for sumping, and when the 3rd engine went they replaced the bike (as I'm sure most people on this forum are sick of hearing about). All of which, ,of course, required approval from the MoCo. And the MoCo did ask what kind of mufflers they were, requested photos, etc.

So I'm not sure this info jibes with reality

Last edited by Keithhu; 10-04-2018 at 05:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Keithhu:
jd05flhtci (10-04-2018), PFWiz (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 05:26 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

I think most dealers that are doing *other* kinds of things are simply not reporting anything to the MOCO in case of a warranty issue. In other words, they are willing to eat it.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:29 PM
jsrracing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Interesting. I had V&H Eliminator 400s, installed by V&H in Sturgis in 2017 (only power train mod, no tuner, stock head pipes, no AC, etc).

2 engines replaced for sumping, and when the 3rd engine went they replaced the bike (as I'm sure most people on this forum are sick of hearing about). All of which, ,of course, required approval from the MoCo

So I'm not sure this info jibes with reality
I know i have read your post and have no question that is what happend and that sux . Im not saying any dealer would do anything one way or another(everyones millage may vary) . Im just saying what i read today in black and white from corp ,I was shocked .

Old 10-04-2018, 05:34 PM
jsrracing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by VDeuce
I think most dealers that are doing *other* kinds of things are simply not reporting anything to the MOCO in case of a warranty issue. In other words, they are willing to eat it.
thats my guess, queens city has rinharts on new bikes, I use a small dealer funny there are 2 huge dealers really close .I just like to walk in and everyone knows me . If this means anything the warranty binders were labeled by week and this was week 1 oct 18 .

Last edited by jsrracing; 10-04-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:52 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,084 Likes on 3,496 Posts

It's also possible that different dealers get granted a little more leeway. I am in no way saying that there is a direct comparison here, but in my automotive dealership travels 'A' dealers could make any powertrain repairs under warranty without corporate authorization. Maybe it's possible that Harley does something similar with their larger, more profitable dealerships. It could explain why some guys, like Keithhu had no issues with his bolt-ons while others go to a 'B' dealer that is required to get corporate authorization before repairing. Don't know. just a possibility.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:04 PM
jsrracing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by strych9
It's also possible that different dealers get granted a little more leeway. I am in no way saying that there is a direct comparison here, but in my automotive dealership travels 'A' dealers could make any powertrain repairs under warranty without corporate authorization. Maybe it's possible that Harley does something similar with their larger, more profitable dealerships. It could explain why some guys, like Keithhu had no issues with his bolt-ons while others go to a 'B' dealer that is required to get corporate authorization before repairing. Don't know. just a possibility.
agree , if you buy 10000 bikes a year u have quite a bit more power than a 1000 bike a year dealer. It would be a interesting stat to know dealer count in 17 vs 18 vs 19 and so on ,I bet it really spikes in 21

seems a bit unfair to market bolt ons that you cant do and the gov riding them if they warranty it all over sound reg. I give 2 ***** about the warranty but a lot of folks do .I sure would hate for the guy who does not even know what a 13mm is loose with out understanding why. If you are the guy who cant find the 10 13mm you have haha you got bit hed

how are you liking your kit pros and cons

Last edited by jsrracing; 10-04-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:35 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

If thats the case, then they are not enforcing their own rules, at least not in my neck of the woods.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:07 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Not disputing what the OP is saying. But would seem they would have to put a disclaimer in their parts book, saying if you install parts yourself the warranty is voided. That would cost dealers parts sales instead of increasing labor sales. Dealers and customers would both be pissed off. I question if that is even legal.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 317 Posts

So much BS to try and scare people into spending money. I installed HD passenger floorboards, following their instructions precisely. If I have an engine problem, they legally can not deny me warranty. If they refuse, then they must provide proof that my work caused the issue. Same goes for routine maintenance. There is a thin line though. If they state the condition of the warranty states you can not use an aftermarket part (say a cobra exhaust), and you fry an exhaust valve, then they can say you did something they recommend not to do. But if they sell it to you, and say it's compatible with your bike, it doesn't matter who installs it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i got to spend some time with miss warranty and