Received 113 Likes on 106 Posts

TY LP for posting the info.

The following users liked this post:
lp (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Thanks for sharing will be ordering two of those soon.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:32 PM
KSRGU
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If anyone makes a video or pictorial of the part change, I would be sooooo grateful.

The following 5 users liked this post by KSRGU:
Beerbar (10-24-2018), BrandonSmith (04-16-2019), Johnny Goodlife (11-18-2018), lyork (10-10-2018), oldbie (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:12 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,403 Likes on 4,013 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Have you tried soft brake levers? or bending your to sit closer to your grips. It did make a big difference with mine. If those damper seats don't work for you.
Thanks for the info, but... I've seen those levers, I'm not a fan. I don't like the looks of the adjustable levers and consider a bent lever, well... just a bent lever... Kind of a "Mickey Mouse repair", as we used to say years ago...

I'm used to it now, only notice it for awhile after switching from one of my other older, cable bikes.... but if I could change a spring seat so everything works as designed and it's got a better release point, I would consider that a properly engineered fix...

The following users liked this post:
Cruise 62 (11-17-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:34 PM
14Glide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Thanks for the info, but... I've seen those levers, I'm not a fan. I don't like the looks of the adjustable levers and consider a bent lever, well... just a bent lever... Kind of a "Mickey Mouse repair", as we used to say years ago...

I'm used to it now, only notice it for awhile after switching from one of my other older, cable bikes.... but if I could change a spring seat so everything works as designed and it's got a better release point, I would consider that a properly engineered fix...
I put the SoftBrakes’ reduced reach clutch lever on my 17 Limited and the reach is just right. Looking at it you would never know it is "bent". It is the shape that Harley should make the OEM lever to start with.

The following 2 users liked this post by 14Glide:
hattitude (10-11-2018), teedoff65 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 03:47 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
A common complaint from 2017/18 owners is the clutch feel. Many are annoyed with the clutch engagement which takes place right at the beginning of the hand lever action, furthermost from the grip.
Some have bought the adjustable Oberon hand lever or had their OEM lever bent so that the clutch is not engaged/disengaged until mid swing of the hand lever or closer to the grip anyway.

One of the changes for 2019 was a new Spring Damper Seat. This seat is basically just a big metal ring that sits against the pressure plate that properly spaces a damper spring between itself and the clutch pack.
The spring and seat together do mechanical stuff, not getting into it.

2017/18 bikes came with damper seat part number: 37000036. 2019 bikes came with a new damper seat part number : 37000295 ($12.60).

So... long story short, I changed the seat on my 2017. Very happy to report that it worked wonderfully.
When you consider the full movement of the hand lever, it always either engaged or disengaged the clutch right at the end of the action (furthermost away from the grip).
Now it is almost dead center of the range. It feels like a pre-2017 clutch now. Like "Normal".

If you're going to ask if the clutch engagement/disengagement range is now wider... it feels that way, but I think it probably has more to do with it being closer to the grip and thus more controllable than being actually wider. Dunno.
If you're going to ask if the little clutch/shift feedback is still felt in the lever when you shift, Yes, still there.

Pic below that will probably mean nothing to most people but allows me to show off my counter tops again.
The ring to the left is the new Damper Seat which is thicker than the original seat on the right by maybe a few thousands. Not much. Made a big difference though.

So if you're on the fence about buying a 100 dollar lever or whatever to address this issue, maybe give the damper seat a try first - it's an option anyway and only cost a few dollars.
You do have to remove the primary cover and disassemble the clutch but it's pretty simple to do all that. I didn't even replace the primary cover gasket for like the 8th time. Those things last forever...

Anyway, hope this helps somebody...

Great info find there, LP!!!!
I'm curious, where did you find the fix and part # for that? Where ever you found it, thanks for letting everybody here know about it?
Did you install it or did Lowcountry?

Old 10-11-2018, 07:17 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Great info find there, LP!!!!
I'm curious, where did you find the fix and part # for that? Where ever you found it, thanks for letting everybody here know about it?
Did you install it or did Lowcountry?
I found the damper seat info on another thread, although I forget who it was I should give credit to. I just wanted to tell everyone that it actually worked.

I did the install myself. Took about 1.5 hours. Easy.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Yeah I dont like the looks of the adjustable levers either. The softbrake levers, as said above, look stock but are shaped to be closer to your grip. For me the "feeling" was improved as well, with regards to the clutch action.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

[QUOTE=lp;17744900]Snip

One of the changes for 2019 was a new Spring Damper Seat. This seat is basically just a big metal ring that sits against the pressure plate that properly spaces a damper spring between itself and the clutch pack.
The spring and seat together do mechanical stuff, not getting into it.
[QUOTE/]
It's pretty simple. The spring and seat provide a preload to all the frictions except for the narrower friction that is along side the spring and spacer. This light preload sets when the clutch starts to engage. By increasing the thickness of the ring the spring starts to preload the clutch stack earlier and making the clutch engage earlier. GOOD fix IMO.. I plan on trying it.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:51 AM
klammer76
Road Master
Received 256 Likes on 173 Posts

I wish it would work on my '16 FLHTCU (w/hydraulic clutch), I'm getting used to it, but the clutch releases farther form the grip than I like..

However, I just looked up the spring damper seat number for my bike, and it's different than the '17...

2016= #37883-98

2017= #37000036

2019= #37000295

They are only $12 each, so I may buy a '16 & a '17 to see how they match up...
Let us know if this works out on the 2016.

Quick Reply: How to change clutch action - 2019 Clutch part installed in a 2017