Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats (Hey, At Least It's Not A Thread About Oil)

Old 10-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Seats (Hey, At Least It's Not A Thread About Oil)

I ride a 2017 Ultra Limited. Our current plans (my wife and I) include a ride to Alaska and back next summer. It will be our second ride to Alaska from home (SE Wisconsin), and the first Alaska ride on our HD. We took a quick 2,100 shakedown ride last week and found two weak spots that have to be addressed as part of trip preparation.

One is limited fuel range, the other is the uncomfortable stock seat. Fuel range will be addressed by carrying a Rotopax tank.

Which brings me to the seat question: What is your experience using either the HD Hammock Seat or the HD Road Zepplin seat?

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:11 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

I'm currently running a Heated Hammock. I'd say it's about 25% more comfortable than the Ultra seat and maybe 10% better than a Sundowner.

That said, I'm really wanting to do a trip to Alaska as well next summer. Since you've done it before do you have any advice? Thanks!

Old 10-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Eccool
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Whatever the seat is that comes stock on the CVO is pretty comfortable.

The following users liked this post:
mazz (07-17-2019)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:56 PM
zigzag
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default seats

I've always liked Mustang seats but everyone depending on height and weight is different. If you decide on a Mustang seat contact me I have a Super tour with riders backrest for sale. Selling because I sold my new Road King.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
That said, I'm really wanting to do a trip to Alaska as well next summer. Since you've done it before do you have any advice? Thanks!
Glad to offer some advice. What worked for me may not work for you, but here are a few things that I did.

Plan, plan, plan, plan, and then plan some more.

June 15th to August 15th is the window for the best riding season in Alaska and parts of Canada.

Buy a copy of Alaska Milepost. It is a very valuable planning aide because it lists every road, gas station, motel, and restaurant in Alaska and western Canada. https://www.themilepost.com/ You need this.

Your US medical insurance won't be accepted in Canada. Travel insurance is a good thing.

Buy a Spot Satellite messenger in case you need to contact emergency help in places where your cell phone doesn't work, which is 90% of Canada and Alaska. https://www.findmespot.com/en/

Join MedJet Assist. They will fly you home if are ill or injured and unable to ride your motorcycle. https://medjetassist.com/

Make certain your motorcycle is in tip-top condition before you depart. If it breaks down, you've entered the food chain.

Take rain gear. Take heated gear.

Order a Canadian motorcycle insurance certificate from your motorcycle insurer. You'll need it in the event you are stopped or in an accident.

Be smart about where you are going to ride. Going up the Haul Road is awesome, but probably not on an HD touring bike.

The farther west and north you ride, the more likely it is that overnight accommodations are few and far between. Have at least a rough idea of where you'll be two and three days in advance, and make reservations.

Some days will be long hours and short distances as you wait for pilot trucks to lead you through construction areas. It's unavoidable.

Give yourself a day off every four or five days. Do laundry, check your motorcycle.

In Fairbanks and Anchorage the U of Alaska rents out dorm rooms in summer to travelers. The rooms are clean and quiet, and about half the cost of a motel room. Reserve ahead of time.

In Alaska be sure to see Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Seward, Homer, and Valdez. Ride the Glen Allen Highway.

Watch out for moose!

Plan some more, then check the details. If you are using a GPS take a paper back-up copy of your route, and a second back-up copy on a thumb drive.

Motorcycling to Alaska is a life-changing experience. Good luck!

Last edited by Michael Haz; 10-11-2018 at 02:47 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Michael Haz:
ABQ-Jammer (10-11-2018), kap1 (10-12-2018), lp (10-11-2018), madmat (10-13-2018), wreckinkrew (07-18-2019), Zedbra (10-13-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-11-2018, 02:48 PM
Jonny Rotten
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a sundowner 2up seat...Way cushy and comfortable. The wife likes the seat better than the Mustang Pillion

Old 10-11-2018, 03:15 PM
johne300m
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 17ultra limited also. i had the stock seat, mustang seat,tallboy seat, sundowner seat and now the zeppelin,out of all the seats the zeppelin is the most comfortable for me and you can adjust the air in it on the fly. its pricey but to me well worth it. i'm 6' and 260 and no issues. oh and my 2 up likes it alot also, so i guess that counts too

Michael Haz (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 04:28 PM
intrepidxc
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I put the road zepplin on my RGU for long trips. I like it because it's wider than the stock seat, but I wish it wasn't as wide at the front of the seat in the crotch area. That's my only complaint about the seat. I'm thinking of having that portion narrowed.

Michael Haz (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 04:36 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,220 Likes on 11,133 Posts

We are about to;depart on a 5,000 milextrip on our new Ultra Limited with stick seats. The on!y think we are doing is putting on the HD waffle pads to reduce swamp ***.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:12 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Nothing better than a Sundowner that's been under your bum for 8 years!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seats (Hey, At Least It's Not A Thread About Oil)