Sponsored by:

hi flow air cleaner hype /myth/ comfort/ help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 09:37 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,135 Likes on 3,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchy3051
The IAT was consistently 80-90°F over ambient. I went to the SE Heavy Breather and now the IAT runs 50-60°F over ambient. Seems odd that it's that much over but it seems that this is as good as it gets.

How are you guys getting the Air Intake.temperature reading? Thanks, Dutchy
Power Vision

Old 10-28-2018, 01:13 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
I'm really interested in what would be better than the ventilator I have on the king. It gets so hot it's not funny. I'm about ready to put the stocker back on with the replacement K&N element. It never heat soaked like this ventilator does,,,, never.
Any idea what the cause is? The Ventilator hangs out in the wind so surprised to hear this.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:28 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
Any idea what the cause is? The Ventilator hangs out in the wind so surprised to hear this.
I suspect the metal back plate being bolted to the engine by the breather bolts. It will get blistering hot! And then the screws holding the filter to the back plate heat up the cover. The only thing cooling the air charge is the fuel injection. There is little to no air cooling the back plate or the intake manifold. There has to be something better out there. Or some way to get better air flow between the V and to the back plate. I was thinking about getting a tank lift kit and raising the the front of the tank. Have concerns about raising the rear of the tank and getting more seat dong rub on the tank.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:38 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
I suspect the metal back plate being bolted to the engine by the breather bolts. It will get blistering hot! And then the screws holding the filter to the back plate heat up the cover. The only thing cooling the air charge is the fuel injection. There is little to no air cooling the back plate or the intake manifold. There has to be something better out there. Or some way to get better air flow between the V and to the back plate. I was thinking about getting a tank lift kit and raising the the front of the tank. Have concerns about raising the rear of the tank and getting more seat dong rub on the tank.
Thanks for the reply. On the 4 TC bikes I owned I always ran the SE aircleaner. The standard SE aircleaner they have been making forever. It had a metal backplate. Never thought to even check how hot the backplate got. Since they mount to the heads with the breather bolts it makes perfect sense that they get hot. I had just never given it a thought.