Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hi flow air cleaner hype /myth/ comfort/ help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:02 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

The air cleaners are also part of the Breather system, unless your going external with the Breather look closely at how they are designed. Start with looking at the Harley Hi Flow, I see it as top of the line with its large ID breather hoses. Then look at the rest and Judge for yourself. Also consider that the new SB for sumping calls attention to the breather system.

The following users liked this post:
jsrracing (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 09:21 PM
jsrracing
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
The air cleaners are also part of the Breather system, unless your going external with the Breather look closely at how they are designed. Start with looking at the Harley Hi Flow, I see it as top of the line with its large ID breather hoses. Then look at the rest and Judge for yourself. Also consider that the new SB for sumping calls attention to the breather system.
i take it you are not a fan of the banjo bolt type venting .

Old 10-16-2018, 10:04 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Using an A/C with an EBS is more important than most realize- Here's a LINK to a report with photos and dyno charts. But the bottom line is:

An External Breather System Helps Your Motorcycle Engine:
  1. Last Longer - Engine Longevity
  2. Produce More Horsepower & Torque
  3. Stay in Tune - No Need for periodic re-tuning
Below is just one of the photo's from the above linked report-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

jsrracing (10-17-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 11:38 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by jsrracing

i starting to lean this way with the big sucker any body use one and it moves it in closer ,which was my only problem with the stock cover my knees hit
Yeah, I’m using one. It is the air cleaner Steve Cole and I used when we did cam testing. Steve also tested several air cleaners and it was right at the top.

If you want a 1717 I have one that I barely used I’ll let you have for $25. That’s mostly shipping costs.

jsrracing (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Dutchy3051
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jsrracing

i starting to lean this way with the big sucker any body use one and it moves it in closer ,which was my only problem with the stock cover my knees hit
So, is this a picture of the Outlaw 606? If not which brand/model is it? Thanks, Dutchy

Old 10-17-2018, 03:54 PM
jsrracing
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 10-17-2018, 04:25 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

I tried the SE High Flow and the SE Heavy Breather and ended up back with the stock setup. There’s nothing wrong with it and I like it just fine. And I see no need for an external breather setup unless yours are leaking onto the engine. Show me one engine failure directly attributed to a stock breather setup and I might change my mind.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:19 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

It's all incremental.

I personally know of dozens of engine "failures" due to heat, that have been replaced/rebuilt under warranty because of the heat damage. Failure does not mean they blew up and quit running, it means that they were so damaged by the heat that they failed HD's minimum leak-down, so they were replaced/rebuilt under warranty.

HD has done an amazing job at keeping them running, even when not optimally, but that does not mean that a bike with 15k miles on it with 14% or 25% leak-down has not failed. HD obviously believes they have failed, which is why they fix it under warranty, even though it is still running.

The vast majority of folks that have an engine in this condition are not even aware of it. It has lost power gradually, over so many thousands of miles they have not even noticed it.

Feeding hot, oily, oxygen depleted air into the intake contributes to the heat that kills engines. By using an EBS based A/C will you reduce the heat enough to not damage the engine? No. But you do 3, 4, 5 little things that reduce the heat, and all together they add up to enough to make the difference. Report LINK on Heat.

As far as a comparison between the faux HD High Flow air cleaners...the following chart is an apple to apple comparison of the OEM a/c and a True Performance A/C-

Last edited by DK Custom; 10-17-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
If I had a stock 107, I would find this chart very compelling. I very much appreciate that you kept the test apples to apples and didn't change any other factors.

But, I have a 114, and it comes stock with the Ventilator. Have you run a comparable test on a 114 Softail, comparing your A/C against the stock bike's Ventilator?

Last edited by FatBob2018; 10-17-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:38 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I tried the SE High Flow and the SE Heavy Breather and ended up back with the stock setup. There’s nothing wrong with it and I like it just fine. And I see no need for an external breather setup unless yours are leaking onto the engine. Show me one engine failure directly attributed to a stock breather setup and I might change my mind.
I can tell you without a doubt, there are increases from a proper air cleaner setup. The problem is there are also some very outrages claims out there too. The truth of the matter is we offered to run the same testing we had done before, for the company that makes the outrages claims for no charge, all they had to do was supply the claimed air cleaner unit with a money back guaranty. If it performed as they claimed we would keep it and post the results, if it failed they were to buy it back and we would report the results, they refused!

If you want to buy into the claims of 10% more Hp and 7% more Torque, its your money but only expect to see at best 2 - 3 Ft lbs and about the same 2 -3 increase Hp at most. Some of the units being sold really loose power to a stock M8 but people like the looks. As for the fumes going back into the engine, there has not been an engine made in the past 40 years that doesn't do that! Sure you can vent it overbore instead but that doesn't mean your extending the life of the engine by doing it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
Clutched (10-18-2018), jsrracing (10-18-2018), mjwebb (10-17-2018)

Quick Reply: hi flow air cleaner hype /myth/ comfort/ help