Sponsored by:

M8 Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:35 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by painey
That was my feelings exactly, transmission transfer shouldn't be happening but can be fixed with $tonecold's fix but excessive engine oil consumption at 9000 miles in 5 months of riding is just not acceptable.
I was VERY lucky and had a great dealer who went over and above to give me a great deal on a 19, still pissed I had to spend the extra cash but I now have a 114 motor, new satnav and the ONLY 19 with Candy Hot Rod Red flake tins, and a dealer that will work with me if this bike transfers.
Well strangely enough the best part about the whole buying experience was the sales man ..... I **** you not, Then It went all down hill after the hand off to the service department to have my **** fixed an hour after
I took delivery of my new scoot.

Am I over reacting, maybe, but it certainly took the shine and polish off buying a new Harley and left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Glad ya happy with the dealer you have cos I couldn’t say anything good about mine that wouldn’t get sued

Wiz 🍺

The following users liked this post:
painey (10-21-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:51 AM
RobertJO
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems that this buck passing scenario with respect to the dealer service saying they rely on the mother ship to authorize trouble shooting and repairs and Harley customer support saying they rely on the expertise of the dealer service rep to proceed further, was not unique to my issue. At least in my case ,it wasn't until I pursued a different dealer that would acknowledge my issue , did Harley authorize the work and parts that ultimately rectified my problem. I'm getting the feeling here that some of these dealer service reps are telling the customer one thing and communicating something completely different to Harley tech support. Or in some cases ,not communicating at all. My summation?....some dealers suck and others don't.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:04 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RobertJO
Seems that this buck passing scenario with respect to the dealer service saying they rely on the mother ship to authorize trouble shooting and repairs and Harley customer support saying they rely on the expertise of the dealer service rep to proceed further, was not unique to my issue. At least in my case ,it wasn't until I pursued a different dealer that would acknowledge my issue , did Harley authorize the work and parts that ultimately rectified my problem. I'm getting the feeling here that some of these dealer service reps are telling the customer one thing and communicating something completely different to Harley tech support. Or in some cases ,not communicating at all. My summation?....some dealers suck and others don't.
These ******** will tell beg borrow and steal there way as to either get you tired of persueing the matter and trade to a different model, or go to another dealer then it’s someone else’s problem.

Wiz

Old 10-21-2018, 02:23 AM
RobertJO
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

These ******** will tell beg borrow and steal there way as to either get you tired of persueing the matter and trade to a different model, or go to another dealer then it’s someone else’s problem.

Wiz

I think in at least my case my home town dealer is weak in service expertise and doesn't want to get his techs in over their head by acknowledging something that is obvious yet involved. So they and it appears several others resort to this stonewalling technique. Anyway ,I had to muster up more perseverance that I had expected on a new machine until I located a well equipped dealership that treated me like family and relayed their findings and recommendations to tech support and got the ***** rolling on repairs and me back on the road. Mind you , I didn't purchase my bike from them either. But will travel the few extra miles for any future accessories and bring them any business I can. FWIW my particular issue was a low stumbling idle accompanied by horrendous screeching sound from lower end which was determined to be the scissor gears that drive the duel counter balancer. Some research I did beforehand revealed that my issue was not an isolated one .They installed a new short block and did an expert job followed by a precision tune. I'm finally the happy camper I should have been months before. That said, I feel for anyone dealing with issues that aren't being dealt with promptly and ethically. Particularly the ones with the sumpers and oil consumers as there seems to be significantly more of these on certain models.

Last edited by RobertJO; 10-21-2018 at 02:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
painey (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 01:06 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

I think in at least my case my home town dealer is weak in service expertise and doesn't want to get his techs in over their head by acknowledging something that is obvious yet involved. So they and it appears several others resort to this stonewalling technique. Anyway ,I had to muster up more perseverance that I had expected on a new machine until I located a well equipped dealership that treated me like family and relayed their findings and recommendations to tech support and got the ***** rolling on repairs and me back on the road. Mind you , I didn't purchase my bike from them either. But will travel the few extra miles for any future accessories and bring them any business I can. FWIW my particular issue was a low stumbling idle accompanied by horrendous screeching sound from lower end which was determined to be the scissor gears that drive the duel counter balancer. Some research I did beforehand revealed that my issue was not an isolated one .They installed a new short block and did an expert job followed by a precision tune. I'm finally the happy camper I should have been months before. That said, I feel for anyone dealing with issues that aren't being dealt with promptly and ethically. Particularly the ones with the sumpers and oil consumers as there seems to be significantly more of these on certain models.
Look I totally understand what your saying, But I digress, Shouldn’t we be just enjoying our new bikes rather than having to worry about if the dealership / MoCo does the right thing repairing them ?

I mean, ain’t that why we bought new bikes in the first place ?

Wiz Out 🍸

Old 10-21-2018, 02:40 PM
RobertJO
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

Look I totally understand what your saying, But I digress, Shouldn’t we be just enjoying our new bikes rather than having to worry about if the dealership / MoCo does the right thing repairing them ?

I mean, ain’t that why we bought new bikes in the first place ?

Wiz Out 🍸
Well yea, absolutely..... I'm not in any way defending the process... we all bought the bikes to ride and enjoy with no intent nor awareness of impending conflict on getting the new bike we paid for.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:54 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Well yea, absolutely..... I'm not in any way defending the process... we all bought the bikes to ride and enjoy with no intent nor awareness of impending conflict on getting the new bike we paid for.
Agree Totally,

Wiz 🍺

Old 10-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by GusTrevino
Ok so I woke up at the crack of dawn since I had to take one of my dogs to the vet for their yearly so then after that I just randomly rode around. Needless to say I ended up racking quite a bit of miles since I got on that “just want to ride mode” and had the day off. Stopped to fill up after 60 miles or so, checked fluid and was back to the full mark! Ended up riding approx 100 more Miles or so came back parked bike, let it idle a bit and it was probably 4 dots or so under half. Then the thought of you telling me to checking it after sitting up right at idle came to mind again so I timed it to about 1min or so. My level went up to right about half way. So odd to me that my levels have changed back and forth. I rode her very spirited as I wasn’t too worried anymore if something happened and making sure to run it in different engine speeds, loads etc. So needless to say it seems like my mysterious consumption has tapered off. Still not sure why almost 2 qts were needed so far but these levels moving around today made me scratch my head.
OP, have you ridden your bike anymore? Hopefully you logged some miles this past Sunday! Just curious if you had any more issues?

Old 10-23-2018, 04:46 PM
GusTrevino
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
OP, have you ridden your bike anymore? Hopefully you logged some miles this past Sunday! Just curious if you had any more issues?
Sure have. I have put a total of 430 miles since it was topped off to “full hot” and picked up from the dealer Thursday evening. I’m still registering at the dipstick a smidge below halfway. Looks like it has gotten better but still obviously have a bit of oil going somewhere. I’m at 900 miles so the 1k is coming up. I’m hoping it gets better but still appears that I would be having to add a qt every 500-700 Miles or so at the rate it’s at now which in my opinion totally unacceptable. Unless it stays where it’s at of course!

Last edited by GusTrevino; 10-23-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:09 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by GusTrevino
Sure have. I have put a total of 430 miles since it was topped off to “full hot” and picked up from the dealer Thursday evening. I’m still registering at the dipstick a smidge below halfway. Looks like it has gotten better but still obviously have a bit of oil going somewhere. I’m at 900 miles so the 1k is coming up. I’m hoping it gets better but still appears that I would be having to add a qt every 500-700 Miles or so at the rate it’s at now which in my opinion totally unacceptable. Unless it stays where it’s at of course!
Hopefully you'll get some satisfaction.

Quick Reply: M8 Oil consumption