Sponsored by:

M8 Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 08:43 PM
GusTrevino
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default M8 Oil consumption

Hello Guys! First post here so hopefully I’m doing this right! Serious oil consumption problem on my 2018 107 Heritage. I’ve had the bike 3 weeks now and have put about 400 miles on it. Took the bike in to dealership about 280 miles in because I was over a 1qt down on engine oil (Wasn’t even registering on dipstick). Topped off to almost “full hot” at approprapriate operating temp. Called dealer with my concerns and told me to bring it by. Dropped it off , had them “check” everything but all they did is say they checked for sumping/ fluid migration and no issues there. Told me to pick up the bike and come back for the 1k service since “no issues” were found. Rode the bike another 140 miles or so checked the dipstick and once again barley touching dipstick right at the “add quart line”. This time I personally pulled the left side spark plugs and both oil fouled. Especially the rear cylinder. Called dealer once again dropped off. Today they called me and said no issues found and come pick it up. At this point I’m a little annoyed and long story short I pretty much told the service writer I’m not picking it up until something is resolved. I have had to cancel 2 trips due to this issue. Guess I’m suppose to travel with a gallon of oil according to the dealer. Writer told to me to just ride it and don’t add oil to it until the 1k service. I said so I guess you want me to grenade the engine? “Uhh no I didn’t say that”. Well that’s whats gonna happen if I do that. Then tells me the engine only requires 1qt of oil to run properly. Wow 😂 I refused to pick the bike back up until something was resolved and now I’m waiting for what crap they have to tell me tomorrow. Anyone having issues like this? Very disappointed with this at the moment to say the least.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,656 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Originally Posted by GusTrevino
Hello Guys! First post here so hopefully I’m doing this right! Serious oil consumption problem on my 2018 107 Heritage. I’ve had the bike 3 weeks now and have put about 400 miles on it. Took the bike in to dealership about 280 miles in because I was over a 1qt down on engine oil (Wasn’t even registering on dipstick). Topped off to almost “full hot” at approprapriate operating temp. Called dealer with my concerns and told me to bring it by. Dropped it off , had them “check” everything but all they did is say they checked for sumping/ fluid migration and no issues there. Told me to pick up the bike and come back for the 1k service since “no issues” were found. Rode the bike another 140 miles or so checked the dipstick and once again barley touching dipstick right at the “add quart line”. This time I personally pulled the left side spark plugs and both oil fouled. Especially the rear cylinder. Called dealer once again dropped off. Today they called me and said no issues found and come pick it up. At this point I’m a little annoyed and long story short I pretty much told the service writer I’m not picking it up until something is resolved. I have had to cancel 2 trips due to this issue. Guess I’m suppose to travel with a gallon of oil according to the dealer. Writer told to me to just ride it and don’t add oil to it until the 1k service. I said so I guess you want me to grenade the engine? “Uhh no I didn’t say that”. Well that’s whats gonna happen if I do that. Then tells me the engine only requires 1qt of oil to run properly. Wow �� I refused to pick the bike back up until something was resolved and now I’m waiting for what crap they have to tell me tomorrow. Anyone having issues like this? Very disappointed with this at the moment to say the least.
There was a recent thread where it was discovered that one member's bike did not have the oil control rings installed in the rear piston at the factory. Maybe the same person built your engine too.

Last edited by Dynamick; 10-17-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:03 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

Hello Guys! First post here so hopefully I’m doing this right! Serious oil consumption problem on my 2018 107 Heritage. I’ve had the bike 3 weeks now and have put about 400 miles on it. Took the bike in to dealership about 280 miles in because I was over a 1qt down on engine oil (Wasn’t even registering on dipstick). Topped off to almost “full hot” at approprapriate operating temp. Called dealer with my concerns and told me to bring it by. Dropped it off , had them “check” everything but all they did is say they checked for sumping/ fluid migration and no issues there. Told me to pick up the bike and come back for the 1k service since “no issues” were found. Rode the bike another 140 miles or so checked the dipstick and once again barley touching dipstick right at the “add quart line”. This time I personally pulled the left side spark plugs and both oil fouled. Especially the rear cylinder. Called dealer once again dropped off. Today they called me and said no issues found and come pick it up. At this point I’m a little annoyed and long story short I pretty much told the service writer I’m not picking it up until something is resolved. I have had to cancel 2 trips due to this issue. Guess I’m suppose to travel with a gallon of oil according to the dealer. Writer told to me to just ride it and don’t add oil to it until the 1k service. I said so I guess you want me to grenade the engine? “Uhh no I didn’t say that”. Well that’s whats gonna happen if I do that. Then tells me the engine only requires 1qt of oil to run properly. Wow 😂 I refused to pick the bike back up until something was resolved and now I’m waiting for what crap they have to tell me tomorrow. Anyone having issues like this? Very disappointed with this at the moment to say the least.
that sounds excessive, but I will say my 107 was thirsty early on and then settled in nicely after a few thousand miles to where it's very minimal consumption..it's true that Harley engines don't require the stated capacity to have enough for proper oiling..maybe try leaving it at ADD and see if it settles there as a test, I doubt you would do any harm but I wouldn't want the level to drop to the point of not even registering on the stick..lit may very well be an early break in issue and then stop consuming at that rate...good that you documented it with them and are playing hard ball with them..they should take this seriously

Old 10-17-2018, 09:04 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey you have given them at least two opportunities to make it right and they did not. Run the bike until it either catches fire or explodes. Once it blows up they will have to tow it in and deal with it.

Last edited by texaswiz; 10-17-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Welcome to the HDforums. I will add on my M8 used a lot more oil the first few thousand miles than it does now. Inside the initial 1000 mile service it used a quart. Between 1000k and 5000k it used just under 1 quart. Between 5k and 10k about 1/2 quart. 10,000 -15000 miles I didn't have to add any.

What you are dealing with definitely seems excessive. I tried to PM you but until you make a few more posts you can't receive them. I grew up in Pasadena and my wife went to DP high School. Once again welcome.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:26 PM
GusTrevino
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

If it would stay at “add a qt mark” I wouldn’t be too concerned but it has gotten there twice already within 400 miles. You’d think it would be smoking like crazy but I haven’t visibily seen any. All I know is that my plugs were fouled pretty bad and I keep going through oil. No performance issues that I’ve noticed. I hope I get something resolved. Stuff like this tends to bother me, especially since I’ve only had it 3 weeks. I’ve owned a handful of bikes (this being my 2nd Harley) and have never come across an issue like this. I’ll keep you guys posted on what happens. Maybe a defect of sorts with the rings or valve guides is all I can think of. I just don’t want to be screwed around since there’s obviously an issue. I have 2 friends with M8’s and neither have had a consumption problem. Also I made sure to check levels at cold and at operating temp with same results. Thanks for any further information.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:31 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Read this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...cy-beware.html

Then demand your dealer do a compression test. As others gave said, some oil consumption in the first 1k is normal; yours is not.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:34 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

If it would stay at “add a qt mark” I wouldn’t be too concerned but it has gotten there twice already within 400 miles. You’d think it would be smoking like crazy but I haven’t visibily seen any. All I know is that my plugs were fouled pretty bad and I keep going through oil. No performance issues that I’ve noticed. I hope I get something resolved. Stuff like this tends to bother me, especially since I’ve only had it 3 weeks. I’ve owned a handful of bikes (this being my 2nd Harley) and have never come across an issue like this. I’ll keep you guys posted on what happens. Maybe a defect of sorts with the rings or valve guides is all I can think of. I just don’t want to be screwed around since there’s obviously an issue. I have 2 friends with M8’s and neither have had a consumption problem. Also I made sure to check levels at cold and at operating temp with same results. Thanks for any further information.
yeah, keep us posted please..what you got going there would be enough to **** off

Old 10-17-2018, 10:30 PM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
Hey you have given them at least two opportunities to make it right and they did not. Run the bike until it either catches fire or explodes. Once it blows up they will have to tow it in and deal with it.
...that, or if it goes into the shop for three attempts to repair and it's not repaired, depending upon your state you may be able to "Lemon Law" it and either get your money back or they give you another bike. May have to consult state attorney general or get a lawyer.

...I guess on the bright side, if it does burn the amount of oil you say it does, then it's probably less likely to sump.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:31 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Do not run it dry, warranty will not pay for any repairs from doing that. The owner's manual says to check the oil after each time you fill up the gas tank.

I have no suggestion for how to resolve your problem (and that is most definitely a huge problem!) .I am just saying that ignoring the oil level would amount to failing to maintain the bike according to the owner's manual, and would be grounds for voiding the warranty.

How could it be burning so much though? Wouldn't the exhaust be thick smoke at that rate? A quart in 140 miles?

Last edited by FatBob2018; 10-17-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Quick Reply: M8 Oil consumption