Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lack of threads on Sumping these days. Issue fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:57 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

You guys still listening and arguing with little man ?
everbody just put him on ignore like his dealer did lol

you will never have to read his whiney sniveling BS anymore.....

Old 11-20-2018, 08:00 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
You guys still listening and arguing with little man ?
everbody just put him on ignore like his dealer did lol

you will never have to read his whiney sniveling BS anymore.....
Lol. Another guy that’s playing hide & seek with himself. Puts me on his “Ignore” list but reads every single post of mine. Gotta love it. PEEK-A-BOO!!!

Old 11-20-2018, 08:41 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
it'd be interesting to know the results of their review/breakdown of trends on circumstances from the Texas dealership that R&R'd that many engines which they undoubtedly partnered with the MOCO, they sound like the closest thing to subject matter experts as we will likely come across here
As a matter of fact, the dealer I am mentioning received a cam plate prototype before it was released. I posted asking about it here and was told, there is no such thing and that even if their were it would be something different. So apparently they did partner with MOCO to test fixes.
If others believe me or don't. makes me no difference. however, each of the 3 dealers knew about the problem and the one I reference to having fixed several dozen (According to service manager) knew there was no one fix. When I called him the first time to discuss, he shared about piston jets, oil pumps etc..... He was very knowledgeable about the sumpping issue.

My first time to sump was after about 3 hours of riding in 95 deg temps with high humidity. The sump came when i was playing in the twistees going one way to the next spot while buddies were going a different way. When i came out of the twistees and hit the highway, the bike had lost a ton of power and smelled like it was burning oil.
Second time was me out pushing it hard after the first "could not replicate" diagnosis. Same conditions.

Last edited by D W K; 11-20-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:52 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I posted this back in August and I mentioned the Cam plate.

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Sounds like you may have cooked it, not a bad thing IMO in your case. That, hopefully, should get you a whole new engine

That sounds more like a fix for the transmission oil migration issue, sumping is a whole different situation, although many are confusing the two and some bikes have both issues

Please keep us posted on how things go with the dealer
No he knew about the transmission migration issue too. He was very specfic and said a new cam plate. He talked about the possibility of it being piston jets being loose and / or the oil scavenging. He even said, the sumping is coming from a variety of issues and there was no one fix all for them. He even acknowledged Harley is chasing their tails on them. He knew the revisions of the oil pumps etc... seemed to be way in tune with the issues. The only statement he made to me that i dint like is they have not replaced an entire engine on one yet, no matter how hot they got. That the have replaced the pump, plate and top end and sent them out with no issues. Maybe mine will be a first on the bottom end. Hard to say.. I'll know more once they get into it Wed. I can't imagine the bottom end not being hurt. The burnt oil smell was horrible and was even coming out of the exhaust when It cooled enough for me to crank it.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:41 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

it'll be interesting how 2019 unfolds after a Summer of bikes with the new seal ..time will tell is pretty much certain, whether a non issue anymore or not

Old 11-21-2018, 07:27 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,137 Likes on 3,508 Posts

Originally Posted by D W K
Maybe the part of the country you are from has a significant impact? In the deep south the temps are often 100 plus degrees with 90%plus humidity. I base my statement on considering the dealer who tore my engine down stated they had seen dozens of them, just like mine. In fact all 3 dealers in my area all were very aware of sumping when I talked with them about it. I would say it's not as isolated as you would "Like" to think. The SB does indicate hot weather as a contributing factor.
Well, anything is possible, but during the summer we have similar temps and humidity as you. Hard to say. I wouldn't trust the dealers to give me the straight dirt on the statistics, but the M8 ridership in the area that I've met in my travels don't know of anyone that's had the issue. The world may never know. LOL.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Originally Posted by D W K
As a matter of fact, the dealer I am mentioning received a cam plate prototype before it was released. I posted asking about it here and was told, there is no such thing and that even if their were it would be something different. So apparently they did partner with MOCO to test fixes.
If others believe me or don't. makes me no difference. however, each of the 3 dealers knew about the problem and the one I reference to having fixed several dozen (According to service manager) knew there was no one fix. When I called him the first time to discuss, he shared about piston jets, oil pumps etc..... He was very knowledgeable about the sumpping issue.

My first time to sump was after about 3 hours of riding in 95 deg temps with high humidity. The sump came when i was playing in the twistees going one way to the next spot while buddies were going a different way. When i came out of the twistees and hit the highway, the bike had lost a ton of power and smelled like it was burning oil.
Second time was me out pushing it hard after the first "could not replicate" diagnosis. Same conditions.

When you mentioned this in the other discussion, it sounded like there was some confusion about what the cam plate was. Did you see it? The oil pump plate was changed. One thing to note is the cam plate has only a simple passage that connects the oil pump to the engine cases to feed the oil back to the tank for scavenging. I'm not sure what could cause an issue there.. Maybe the plate flexes and the oil pump looses seal on the scavenge passage?

The latest parts manuals (2019) show the same cam plate as the 2017.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:54 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
When you mentioned this in the other discussion, it sounded like there was some confusion about what the cam plate was. Did you see it? The oil pump plate was changed. One thing to note is the cam plate has only a simple passage that connects the oil pump to the engine cases to feed the oil back to the tank for scavenging. I'm not sure what could cause an issue there.. Maybe the plate flexes and the oil pump looses seal on the scavenge passage?

The latest parts manuals (2019) show the same cam plate as the 2017.
I wonder if it was a similar issue the twinkie had where the plate was finicky to align on install and maybe the new one has locator indents or something.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:31 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,137 Likes on 3,508 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
I wonder if it was a similar issue the twinkie had where the plate was finicky to align on install and maybe the new one has locator indents or something.
The M8 plate has dowel pins. There is no alignment to worry about, but the proper torque procedures are critical.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
The M8 plate has dowel pins. There is no alignment to worry about, but the proper torque procedures are critical.
Does it have alignment pins between the oil pump and the plate? Tcs don't but they do have pins between the plate and motor case.

Quick Reply: Lack of threads on Sumping these days. Issue fixed?