Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lack of threads on Sumping these days. Issue fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 03:28 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

There is only 1 hollow alignment dowl ring on the cam plate, so there is wiggle room, there are none on the pump to plate

Old 11-21-2018, 05:07 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,624 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by D W K
Maybe the part of the country you are from has a significant impact? In the deep south the temps are often 100 plus degrees with 90%plus humidity. I base my statement on considering the dealer who tore my engine down stated they had seen dozens of them, just like mine. In fact all 3 dealers in my area all were very aware of sumping when I talked with them about it. I would say it's not as isolated as you would "Like" to think. The SB does indicate hot weather as a contributing factor.
Hot weather may be a contributing factor, but SB M1450 makes no mention of it.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:37 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Hot weather may be a contributing factor, but SB M1450 makes no mention of it.
I may be wrong but feel certain I read in one of the bulletins or somewhere that Harley believes heat to be a factor.

Edit. I went back and read 1450 and it says sumping is more detectable at warmer oil temps. I must have taken that to mean hotter temps in general. I know mine was fine until I pushed it hard on a very hot day. Then i could replicate it at will

Last edited by D W K; 11-21-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Wow!!!. Once upon a time Forums were for the exchange of information and usually in a civil manner. The sad part is you guys with this whole "sumpping is a myth" theory is disappointing. While I am glad you haven't experienced it, some of us have.experienced it and to have a $40k bike you won't / Can't trust to ride out of town is unacceptable. I started this thread with the hopes that the new Cam plate is the fix so I can get on with my life. I assure You I will know as soon as it get's hot again. See, I ride my CVO within the designed parameters but obviously harder than most.I bought the CVO ride my way, which is a stress reliever for me. I suspect Heatwave rode his pretty hard too as he summped several motors.
The bolded is kinda what I thought when I tried to help a guy out with his motorcycle about a month ago. It was the first time he'd ridden it a long distance, and on twisty curvy mountain roads for most of his ride. It was the first time he'd rode it hard, and his waited to act up until he was out in the middle of nowhere with no cellular service for him, and what few cars that happened to go down that road didn't stop to help. I had a 20 year old motorcycle that I would feel comfortable (at least from a reliability standpoint) to the other side of the country.

I may be wrong but feel certain I read in one of the bulletins or somewhere that Harley believes heat to be a factor.

Edit. I went back and read 1450 and it says sumping is more detectable at warmer oil temps. I must have taken that to mean hotter temps in general. I know mine was fine until I pushed it hard on a very hot day. Then i could replicate it at will
Maybe, and I don't know for sure if that guys problem was sumping (sounds like it) but that day it was 65 degrees with low humidity.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 AM
Peak Seaker
Road Master
Received 925 Likes on 385 Posts

Well, bike is broke in and has about 800 miles on her. So far no issues and the oil level has stayed steady. For what it is, bike Rocks! Winter is here in Central VA, so no sure how much I will be able to test her out in the next several months, will have to see what mother nature has in store.

As far as HD corporate is concerned, they WILL NOT extend my warranty like previous sumping MC, cocsukers! I will be sending a nice letter to HD, which I am sure will be circular filed, LOL.

I would like to Honorable Mention my dealership though. Colonial HD in Prince George, VA has been fantastic to deal with!! Not only did I get a sit down with the owner, whom I felt heard my concerns, or should I say took the brunt of my anger & hostility towards HD for not fixin this ****, they gave me a nice store credit and treated me with respect, NOT like an idiot. Also offered me a loaner bike while mine was down. Felt they were honest & forthright and allowed me into every step of the process, including inspecting motor and all parts. Service manager Dave, sales guy Rob, GM Mark and Owner Jim are all top notch and I would recommend to all in the area!

I will post any updates or issues in the future. Happy motoring!