Sponsored by:

AIM Light Force Review & Tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 06:27 AM
BoneGlide
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberjkd
Not sure what you mean about the springs are acting the same.
Nothing else is needed (except brake fluid). Its a pretty simple install. I would lay some trash bags plastic or at least a blanket on the tank when refilling the clutch master cylinder.

If your local HD guy means it's no better than stock he has no idea what he's talking about. Thing is leaps above defective HD crap. You will love it. I have not seen one bad review of it. I did a lit of searching b4 I installed mine.
Good luck!
‐---------------
Yeah that's about what I figured too....that my service mgr didn't know what he was taking about.

This is a big Houston dealership and they had not even heard of the AIM actuator nor the 2019 spring seat differences or benefits. I just got some blank stares when I mentioned it. I tried to work the AIM into the recall, and like others...no go.

I am really excited to get this thing installed I suppose my main concern is that dont have a dial indicator. Even if I had the indicator I dont know what I'd do about it if I didn't have the proper throw...unless I just kept bleeding.??

Regarding the push bleeding video provided in this thread...I was going to do that. Is conventional bleeding required after that?

Thanks,

Old 04-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BoneGlide
‐---------------
Yeah that's about what I figured too....that my service mgr didn't know what he was taking about.

This is a big Houston dealership and they had not even heard of the AIM actuator nor the 2019 spring seat differences or benefits. I just got some blank stares when I mentioned it. I tried to work the AIM into the recall, and like others...no go.

I am really excited to get this thing installed I suppose my main concern is that dont have a dial indicator. Even if I had the indicator I dont know what I'd do about it if I didn't have the proper throw...unless I just kept bleeding.??

Regarding the push bleeding video provided in this thread...I was going to do that. Is conventional bleeding required after that?

Thanks,
Really depends on how meticulous you are with the push bleeding. I did it that way and still had a tiny amount of bubbles at the end. The push bleed with the needle was so fast in comparison to conventional method. Takes 2 people to do it just to make sure you do not overflow.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:06 AM
MRPHS
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

When installing my AIM Light Force I swapped the bleeder screw out for a Goodridge Speed Bleeder valve. M7x1 (SB7100). Super easy to use compared to the last time I bled my clutch when replacing the handlebars last year.

The following 2 users liked this post by MRPHS:
JakeC7R (04-01-2019), vhmike73 (07-17-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 06:52 PM
crazy4life
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did mine yesterday. Super easy and took 90 minutes start to finish. Best part is the wide friction zone.

Nice piece

Three cap screws and the tube connection and done.

Fat rod installed 150 miles ago. Point looks a little worn down.

New unit installed.

Vacuum bleeder hooked up and bled in a couple minutes.

Inside of old unit. Looks to be a slight indent started from pushrod. Think I will replace with newer version.

The following users liked this post:
UltraSteveUSAF (05-31-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 09:27 PM
Spanish Cobra
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

‐---------------

Thanks,

BoneGlide
I live in Houston. If you need help installing the AIM, I would glad to assist. Would like to see how it is done,

Old 04-05-2019, 09:06 PM
BoneGlide
Advanced
Default Another install done

I got mine installed today and although I haven't ridden it yet, the clutch feels like super nice.

I started it while on the lift, ran it up to 6th and back down to an easy neutral and the mechanics all feel good. Exact same rear wheel spin in the air on cold motor as before. Stops after warm up.

The actuator went on tidy without a hitch and then I caused myself some grief by blowing the bleed.

Actuator was on and all buttoned up and because I had not broken the seal at the master cyl I had lost very little fluid and on my way to pulling this off with a small amount of bleeding. I proceeded to remove the master lid only to discover allot of fluid on the ground and in pan. Although I had not touched the bleed valve nor did I check that it was tight. Arg! Do not make that mistake, be sure your bleeder valve is tight before breaking the seal at the master cylinder.

I proceeded to lose the bleed with air now in the very small amount of master cyl capacity and had to start from scratch. After filling master and trying a conventional bleed many times and getting nowhere, I whipped out the trusty Harbor Freight air compressor bleeder which worked like a charm. It drew the fluid through top to bottom and we finished with a conventional bleed. I used the HD Platinum fluid.

I started the hydraulic line before I mounted the actuator to the trans and feel like that helped out it was super easy. Yes I used Teflon tape, old habits die hard.

Tomorrow go for ride.

Last edited by BoneGlide; 04-05-2019 at 09:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JakeC7R (04-07-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 09:16 PM
BoneGlide
Advanced

Harbor Freight air bleeder

Last edited by BoneGlide; 04-05-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:55 PM
edmroadglide
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

i have the 1st version and i am afraid i am going to be short when i look at the pics of the second version being hooked up. I also raised my bars to 14's and needed to pull a bit so wonder if there is any left on the back end to hook it up, will be choked if not.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:57 PM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

I got mine installed today and although I haven't ridden it yet, the clutch feels like super nice.

I started it while on the lift, ran it up to 6th and back down to an easy neutral and the mechanics all feel good. Exact same rear wheel spin in the air on cold motor as before. Stops after warm up.

The actuator went on tidy without a hitch and then I caused myself some grief by blowing the bleed.

Actuator was on and all buttoned up and because I had not broken the seal at the master cyl I had lost very little fluid and on my way to pulling this off with a small amount of bleeding. I proceeded to remove the master lid only to discover allot of fluid on the ground and in pan. Although I had not touched the bleed valve nor did I check that it was tight. Arg! Do not make that mistake, be sure your bleeder valve is tight before breaking the seal at the master cylinder.

I proceeded to lose the bleed with air now in the very small amount of master cyl capacity and had to start from scratch. After filling master and trying a conventional bleed many times and getting nowhere, I whipped out the trusty Harbor Freight air compressor bleeder which worked like a charm. It drew the fluid through top to bottom and we finished with a conventional bleed. I used the HD Platinum fluid.

I started the hydraulic line before I mounted the actuator to the trans and feel like that helped out it was super easy. Yes I used Teflon tape, old habits die hard.

Tomorrow go for ride.

Some really nice pix you have there! Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Once you ride it you will be preaching the AIM like the rest LOL.

Such a small change makes such a HUGE difference!

Old 04-06-2019, 12:01 AM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by edmroadglide
i have the 1st version and i am afraid i am going to be short when i look at the pics of the second version being hooked up. I also raised my bars to 14's and needed to pull a bit so wonder if there is any left on the back end to hook it up, will be choked if not.
It won't be an issue. The only change is you need to bend the supply line a little bit - the new version took out that tweak. I was an early adopter of the first version - it won't affect your bars.

Quick Reply: AIM Light Force Review & Tips