Sponsored by:

Shifting issues w/ 2019 Street Bob

Old 11-04-2018, 09:49 PM
M1chael
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck
Give the dealer some slack "you can't fix what ain't broken". Until they can replicate the problem what do you expect them to do. I guess most HD critics figure that the dealerships just leave the bike in the corner, don't ride it and then tell the customer they can't replicate the issue.
I wholeheartedly agree. These kinds of intermittent problems are a nightmare to disgnose. The bike shifts perfectly when function testing it cold. It intermittently happens only after extended riding.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:06 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,243 Likes on 11,134 Posts

That “unable to replicate” crap from the dealers is why I don’t get an ESP anymore. But, sorry I;can’t offer any help.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:45 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

i might embarrass myself with this response but i had a 1990 Suzuki intruder with the same symptoms . Turns out the shift linkage was whacking into the aftermarket pipes when things expanded when hot. I know apples and oranges but maybe its not an adjustment its something changing with the heat.
i will go away now!
Mazz

Old 11-05-2018, 12:59 PM
M1chael
Advanced

Originally Posted by mazz
i might embarrass myself with this response but i had a 1990 Suzuki intruder with the same symptoms . Turns out the shift linkage was whacking into the aftermarket pipes when things expanded when hot. I know apples and oranges but maybe its not an adjustment its something changing with the heat.
i will go away now!
Mazz
Thanks. This sucker is bone stock. I haven't touched a thing on it or had any upgrades installed by H-D when purchasing it. The thing desperately needs an exhaust (it sounds like a lawnmower!) but I'm not investing a dime into this thing until it shifts properly.

Last edited by M1chael; 11-05-2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-05-2018, 02:14 PM
OakMountainRider
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I am thinking; even though the dealer were not able to replicate the shifting problem, there should be some kind of routine adjustment they could do.

Also, are the oil levels correct in the transmission and the primary?

Last edited by OakMountainRider; 11-05-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:02 PM
M1chael
Advanced

Originally Posted by OakMountainRider
I am thinking; even though the dealer were not able to replicate the shifting problem, there should be some kind of routine adjustment they could do.

Also, are the oil levels correct in the transmission and the primary?
Yes sir, I checked all the fluid levels. Eveyrthing is at the appropriate level and clean. I'm really thinking/hoping somethign is going on with the clutch pack (as eveidenced by the scratch marks) and a simple swap-out or rebuild of the clutch will resolve the issue. Harley won't touch it, however, until they can verify a problem. I'll keep you guys updated as to how this plays out. Thanks!

Old 11-05-2018, 04:08 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by M1chael
Yes sir, I checked all the fluid levels. Eveyrthing is at the appropriate level and clean. I'm really thinking/hoping somethign is going on with the clutch pack (as eveidenced by the scratch marks) and a simple swap-out or rebuild of the clutch will resolve the issue. Harley won't touch it, however, until they can verify a problem. I'll keep you guys updated as to how this plays out. Thanks!
Please don't take this wrong,but if the dealer tells HD the lock down adjuster nut has damage they could put improper adjustment on you. Just be ready.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:16 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Shifting

Set up an appointment with the dealer to look at it and ride the **** out of it before you take it in...Then demand they ride it now.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:52 PM
OakMountainRider
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by M1chael
Mine is opposite to yours. When the engine is just started up and still cold, it is a bit hard to get the second gear in. But once warmed up it works fine. My thought is it is about small tolerances affected by heat, It should be adjustable..

Old 11-06-2018, 10:33 AM
M1chael
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbob
Please don't take this wrong,but if the dealer tells HD the lock down adjuster nut has damage they could put improper adjustment on you. Just be ready.
Agreed, they could be jerks about it... and I am prepared. I've adjusted these clutches at least 20 times over the past seven years and can happily speak to the dealearship about what happened. The marring to the nut happened while attempting to de-torque it. I wanted to see where the factory clutch was set at so I used an 11/16 box-end wrench on the nut while holding the pushrod with an allen key. This was a foolish idea becaus the factory nut was on their realy good and the box-end slipped. I aborted this attempt and removed the nut properly with an 11/16 socket and never did find out where the factory had the pushrod set. When re-torquing the jamnut I put the bike in gear, have my son sit on the bike and hold the front/rear brakes and I use the 11/16 socket on a torque wrench set to 10 N-m.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting issues w/ 2019 Street Bob