Sponsored by:

Shifting issues w/ 2019 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 05:44 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by M1chael
Agreed, they could be jerks about it... and I am prepared. I've adjusted these clutches at least 20 times over the past seven years and can happily speak to the dealearship about what happened. The marring to the nut happened while attempting to de-torque it. I wanted to see where the factory clutch was set at so I used an 11/16 box-end wrench on the nut while holding the pushrod with an allen key. This was a foolish idea becaus the factory nut was on their realy good and the box-end slipped. I aborted this attempt and removed the nut properly with an 11/16 socket and never did find out where the factory had the pushrod set. When re-torquing the jamnut I put the bike in gear, have my son sit on the bike and hold the front/rear brakes and I use the 11/16 socket on a torque wrench set to 10 N-m.
I took a socket and welded a nut on the end so I could put the allen in and torque the nut down,just some FYI.

Last edited by tbob; 11-06-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:42 PM
Jacob Griffiths
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San issue

Am glad I looked up some issues and found this because I have had the same issues with my 2019 street bob unlike you I am already at 1300 miles in only 2 weeks. I have already had my 1000 mile service and nothing was said to be wrong. I come from the street bike world and though it's just my late rpm shifts that were the reason for the issue but am glad I am not the only one with the issue and will adress Harley in the next week.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:27 AM
M1chael
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob Griffiths
Am glad I looked up some issues and found this because I have had the same issues with my 2019 street bob unlike you I am already at 1300 miles in only 2 weeks. I have already had my 1000 mile service and nothing was said to be wrong. I come from the street bike world and though it's just my late rpm shifts that were the reason for the issue but am glad I am not the only one with the issue and will adress Harley in the next week.
I'm scheduled to bring it in Friday morning and they're going to hold onto for a couple of days to try to figure out the issue. I'll let you know what happens! I'm really praying its something with the clutch pack and all they need to do is "rebuild" it, but I have no idea where this is going to go. I'm just really pissed I dropped $17K on a bike that I can't trust and enjoy.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:14 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Agreed, they could be jerks about it... and I am prepared. I've adjusted these clutches at least 20 times over the past seven years and can happily speak to the dealearship about what happened. The marring to the nut happened while attempting to de-torque it. I wanted to see where the factory clutch was set at so I used an 11/16 box-end wrench on the nut while holding the pushrod with an allen key. This was a foolish idea becaus the factory nut was on their realy good and the box-end slipped. I aborted this attempt and removed the nut properly with an 11/16 socket and never did find out where the factory had the pushrod set. When re-torquing the jamnut I put the bike in gear, have my son sit on the bike and hold the front/rear brakes and I use the 11/16 socket on a torque wrench set to 10 N-m.
why not just replace the nut and take it out of the equation.
good luck!

Old 11-07-2018, 01:28 PM
M1chael
Advanced

Originally Posted by memphisharley
why not just replace the nut and take it out of the equation.
good luck!
Good call... actually, I already have. Best $0.88 I ever spent! You can still see the circular scuff marks on the pressure plate from the socket so there is still evidence the clutch was adjusted so I'm still prepared for them to somehow try to flip the issue back onto me.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:36 PM
M1chael
Advanced
Default Fingers Crossed

Well... my baby is in the shop for the second time. I told the tech to drive it 100 miles if necessary to confirm the issue. I told them I'm not going to take the bike back until something is done because I do not trust the bike and it's unsafe to operate like this. I had to pull over on to the side of the road twice when riding it into the dealership because it would not go into 2nd ger. Finally after downshifting and upshifting it went into gear on the 8th try as I coasted along on the shoulder of the road with my hazards on. For the first 20 minutes of the ride it operaetd perfectly. Only after I exited the freeway did the shifting issues start up. I really can't explain this issue. My guess is that something must be loose or out-of-tolerance and only manifests when it gets good an hot in there.

I'll let you guys know what the service manager tells me later today.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:54 AM
jdurst179
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought I was crazy

Just bought a 2019 street bob myself. Had the exact same issue. So you’re not crazy. I have no idea what’s causing it but can confirm it seems to happen more frequently once the bike warms up. Seems like if I hold the clutch in and the gear shifter up for an extra potato it will shift.

It could be a safety issue though if you jump out into traffic expecting to be able to accelerate and you can’t shift out of neutral.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:11 AM
OakMountainRider
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Well... my baby is in the shop for the second time. I told the tech to drive it 100 miles if necessary to confirm the issue. I told them I'm not going to take the bike back until something is done because I do not trust the bike and it's unsafe to operate like this. I had to pull over on to the side of the road twice when riding it into the dealership because it would not go into 2nd ger. Finally after downshifting and upshifting it went into gear on the 8th try as I coasted along on the shoulder of the road with my hazards on. For the first 20 minutes of the ride it operaetd perfectly. Only after I exited the freeway did the shifting issues start up. I really can't explain this issue. My guess is that something must be loose or out-of-tolerance and only manifests when it gets good an hot in there.

I think sometimes you really have to be firm with the dealer. It is good that you are very clear to them and do not let them neglect you in this matter.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:16 AM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck
Give the dealer some slack "you can't fix what ain't broken". Until they can replicate the problem what do you expect them to do. I guess most HD critics figure that the dealerships just leave the bike in the corner, don't ride it and then tell the customer they can't replicate the issue.
Yeah, we are all HD critics.....pick your day.
If you are here, you care

Old 11-11-2018, 02:42 AM
M1chael
Advanced

Day 1 (Friday) went as anticipated except they spent about 8 hours accomplishing approximately 1-2 hours worth of work. They said they inspected and functioned checked the operation of the clutch and transmission on the stand and everything appeared in order. They re-adjusted the clutch and drained the primary. They hadn't yet inspected the primary fluid for metal shavings and the service manager wasn't aware of any observed metal collected on the drain-plug magnet. He said he would get back to me... but didn't.

Day 2 they went radio silent on me. I was out of town chauffeuring my kids to their sports games and never had a good opportunity to call and check-in. Likewise, they didn't call or leave a message. The Service Manager said they would refill the primary and drive the heck out of it today (Saturday) to try to replicate the issue I'm experiencing. I'm hoping they're quiet because they confirmed the issue and are trying to get direction from the MOCO Warranty Department about what the next step should be. I'll call tomorrow and find out what the heck is going on and let y'all know!

The following 2 users liked this post by M1chael:
GPHDXLC (11-11-2018), Warrant (11-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Shifting issues w/ 2019 Street Bob