Sponsored by:

Shifting issues w/ 2019 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 02:46 AM
M1chael
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jdurst179
Just bought a 2019 street bob myself. Had the exact same issue. So you’re not crazy. I have no idea what’s causing it but can confirm it seems to happen more frequently once the bike warms up. Seems like if I hold the clutch in and the gear shifter up for an extra potato it will shift.

It could be a safety issue though if you jump out into traffic expecting to be able to accelerate and you can’t shift out of neutral.

Did you ever get it resolved, or are you just living with it for now?

I contemplated just riding mine more until I hit 1,000 miles to see if it improved over time... but everyone told me to bring it in so as not to potentially cause more damage and/or end up in an accident because I'm stuck in Neutral while in traffic.

Last edited by M1chael; 11-11-2018 at 02:48 AM. Reason: added quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:48 PM
jdurst179
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patiently awaiting what they say regarding your Bike.

Originally Posted by M1chael
Did you ever get it resolved, or are you just living with it for now?

I contemplated just riding mine more until I hit 1,000 miles to see if it improved over time... but everyone told me to bring it in so as not to potentially cause more damage and/or end up in an accident because I'm stuck in Neutral while in traffic.
I just bought the Bike last week, and it’s been raining almost everyday here in the FL panhandle. So, I’ve only got 150 miles on the Bike. Only one ride required frequent shifting after a good warmup period and that is where the problem became apparent. Even my buddy behind me noticed how bad it was. It still happens on the other rides but it seems if I hold the clutch longer and hold the gear shift up a tic longer it shifts but I can’t confirm that.

I did call the service department to see if anyone else has experienced this issue to which they said no. And with no recall or information to go off of I didn’t want to just give them the Bike to ride to find the problem until I heard back about what the service department determined with yours.

I belive it has has to be a defect that will result in a maintenance action. This is the first Harley I’ve owned so I’m not sure if they do recalls or how that works. But, It’s the exact same problem on the exact same Bike. Something is wrong mechanically. If that’s the case I’m sure we will see more people joining this thread.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:01 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by jdurst179

I just bought the Bike last week, and it’s been raining almost everyday here in the FL panhandle. So, I’ve only got 150 miles on the Bike. Only one ride required frequent shifting after a good warmup period and that is where the problem became apparent. Even my buddy behind me noticed how bad it was. It still happens on the other rides but it seems if I hold the clutch longer and hold the gear shift up a tic longer it shifts but I can’t confirm that.

I did call the service department to see if anyone else has experienced this issue to which they said no. And with no recall or information to go off of I didn’t want to just give them the Bike to ride to find the problem until I heard back about what the service department determined with yours.

I belive it has has to be a defect that will result in a maintenance action. This is the first Harley I’ve owned so I’m not sure if they do recalls or how that works. But, It’s the exact same problem on the exact same Bike. Something is wrong mechanically. If that’s the case I’m sure we will see more people joining this thread.
Your two post just don't add up , take your bike to your dealer.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:55 PM
OakMountainRider
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I would like to know more about this issue as I am interested in the new Street Bob. Intermittent shifting problems not confirmed by the dealer are no fun. I hope you guys get the thing sorted out and solved.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:32 PM
M1chael
Advanced

Day 1 (Friday) went as anticipated except they spent about 8 hours accomplishing approximately 1-2 hours worth of work. They said they inspected and functioned checked the operation of the clutch and transmission on the stand and everything appeared in order. They re-adjusted the clutch and drained the primary. They hadn't yet inspected the primary fluid for metal shavings and the service manager wasn't aware of any observed metal collected on the drain-plug magnet. He said he would get back to me... but didn't.

Day 2 they went radio silent on me. I was out of town chauffeuring my kids to their sports games and never had a good opportunity to call and check-in. Likewise, they didn't call or leave a message. The Service Manager said they would refill the primary and drive the heck out of it today (Saturday) to try to replicate the issue I'm experiencing. I'm hoping they're quiet because they confirmed the issue and are trying to get direction from the MOCO Warranty Department about what the next step should be. I'll call tomorrow and find out what the heck is going on and let y'all know!
Day 3 (Sunday) - No update. Per service manager they were still "test riding" the bike that day.

Day 4/5 (Monday/Tuesday) - This location is closed

Day 5 (Wednesday) - Call service manager at 2pm (they never bothered to call me) and was told that they sent the pictures of the "grind" marks to The MoCo who said that they're normal and from the manufacturing process. For some reason I doubt it. He then said they adjusted the clutch and test rode the bike and didn't exprience the issue I described. He said the could keep riding it to or I could come it to ride it and confirm the problem is solved.

I'm pretty sure it's not solved and I'm pretty sure they didn't ride the bike per my recommendations. I'll let you guys know what happens when I test ride it tomorrow.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:42 AM
jdurst179
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Day 3 (Sunday) - No update. Per service manager they were still "test riding" the bike that day.

Day 5 (Wednesday) - Call service manager at 2pm (they never bothered to call me) and was told that they sent the pictures of the "grind" marks to The MoCo who said that they're normal and from the manufacturing process. For some reason I doubt it. He then said they adjusted the clutch and test rode the bike and didn't exprience the issue I described. He said the could keep riding it to or I could come it to ride it and confirm the problem is solved.

I'm pretty sure it's not solved and I'm pretty sure they didn't ride the bike per my recommendations. I'll let you guys know what happens when I test ride it tomorrow.

thanks for rhe update!

Old 11-16-2018, 10:04 PM
M1chael
Advanced

Day 6 (Thursday) - Couldn't get out of work to get my bike. Informed the Service Manager and requested that they perform another "longer" test ride. I gave them a route I typically ride and he said he'd get one of his techs to ride that route later in the day.

Day 7 (Friday) - Showed up at 8am to get my bike. Manager was insistent that after inspecting the clutch, function checking it, adjusting it, draining/inspecting the primary fluid, and test riding it multiple times (including my requested route) they could not replicate my issue. I took possession of the bike, inspected it to my satisfaction, and since I had about three hours to burn... I decided to ride the hell out of it. I ended up putting 180 miles on the bike. I drove up to the mountains, down into the valley, and out to the beach. It shifted into second gear EVERY FRIGGEN TIME!!! I couldn't believe it. Half the time I was expecting it to get stuck in neutral and was literally surprised every time second gear grabbed. I shifted at low rpm (2800), high rpm (3500), and even violated the break-in rules and ran it up to 4,000 rpm and it shifted every time. It was the best three hours I ever spent on the bike and I was grinning ear-to-ear. I drove it back to the dealership, described my experience to the Service Manager and shook his hand. I asked him to confirm everything they did to the bike... he swears all they did was adjust the clutch and replace the primary fluid. Based on my experience adjusting the clutch multiple times, I have to attribute the improvement to the primary fluid. I'm hypothesizing one of two things: (1) Perhaps the primary fluid was heavily soiled (note: they claimed there was some minor debris on the magnet but otherwise the fluid looked clean) and was causing the clutch to drag and prevent it from going into second whenever I wasn't rpm-matched? (2) Perhaps when they replaced the primary fluid they filled it to a different level (slightly more or less) and changed the performance of the clutch? I haven't pulled off the derby cover yet because it's working awesome right now and I want to ride it a few more times before I mess with anything. I'll confirm the level Sunday evening after I ride it all weekend.

I am incredulous that the bike rides so differently with new fluid. Again, I want to get another few rides in before I declare this case closed. I'll keep y'all posted!

Old 11-16-2018, 10:22 PM
OakMountainRider
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Day 6 (Thursday) - Couldn't get out of work to get my bike. Informed the Service Manager and requested that they perform another "longer" test ride. I gave them a route I typically ride and he said he'd get one of his techs to ride that route later in the day.

Day 7 (Friday) - Showed up at 8am to get my bike. Manager was insistent that after inspecting the clutch, function checking it, adjusting it, draining/inspecting the primary fluid, and test riding it multiple times (including my requested route) they could not replicate my issue. I took possession of the bike, inspected it to my satisfaction, and since I had about three hours to burn... I decided to ride the hell out of it. I ended up putting 180 miles on the bike. I drove up to the mountains, down into the valley, and out to the beach. It shifted into second gear EVERY FRIGGEN TIME!!! I couldn't believe it. Half the time I was expecting it to get stuck in neutral and was literally surprised every time second gear grabbed. I shifted at low rpm (2800), high rpm (3500), and even violated the break-in rules and ran it up to 4,000 rpm and it shifted every time. It was the best three hours I ever spent on the bike and I was grinning ear-to-ear. I drove it back to the dealership, described my experience to the Service Manager and shook his hand. I asked him to confirm everything they did to the bike... he swears all they did was adjust the clutch and replace the primary fluid. Based on my experience adjusting the clutch multiple times, I have to attribute the improvement to the primary fluid. I'm hypothesizing one of two things: (1) Perhaps the primary fluid was heavily soiled (note: they claimed there was some minor debris on the magnet but otherwise the fluid looked clean) and was causing the clutch to drag and prevent it from going into second whenever I wasn't rpm-matched? (2) Perhaps when they replaced the primary fluid they filled it to a different level (slightly more or less) and changed the performance of the clutch? I haven't pulled off the derby cover yet because it's working awesome right now and I want to ride it a few more times before I mess with anything. I'll confirm the level Sunday evening after I ride it all weekend.

I am incredulous that the bike rides so differently with new fluid. Again, I want to get another few rides in before I declare this case closed. I'll keep y'all posted!
Happy for you now when your bike is working and you can shift it easily.👍

Old 11-16-2018, 10:33 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

gad to hear the good news and you are enjoying your new scoot the way you hoped you would..I'd just say all is good for now..until it isn't, and not worry at this point..sometimes man made mechanical stuff just goes goofy...but yeah, get a baseline on the fluid level while it's working as designed and stick with that..although I do believe it would have to be significantly over filled to where it was pouring out a lot with derby removed before it would start to misbehave badly

Old 11-17-2018, 09:13 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,781 Posts

The scratches where the manufacturer deburring the casting. The clutch needs to be adjusted correctly since a non syncros transmission needs a little clutch drag to keep transmission gears spinning so the engagement hubs lock the respective gear to the shaft. ( Unlike syncros with 3 degree increments, Harley's have 60 or 45 between ingagements.)
Dirty oil was not the problem.
Smoothing in and driver experience. Getting use to shifter lever position take a while.

Quick Reply: Shifting issues w/ 2019 Street Bob