Shifting issues w/ 2019 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 05:54 PM
M1chael
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Shifting issues w/ 2019 Street Bob

Howdy folks,

I just bought a 2019 FXBB Street Bob and have put about 280 miles on it. Since day one I've had repeated problem shifting from 1st to 2nd after the bike gets "really" warmed up. I say "really" warmed up meaning it doesn't happen frequently until after I've ridden the thing for more than about an hour or so. When the bike is cold it shifts perfect, like butter. Towards the end of my rides it starts getting stuck in neutral when attempting to shift from first to second. Even if I pull in the clutch and attempt to shift up again into second... I'll hear/feel a tactile "clunk"... but it stays in neutral. I can repeat this multiple times and it just won't go into second. I literally have to pull to the side of the road, slow down to 10mph or less, downshift into first, then attempt shifting into 2nd again. There are no grinding of gears when this happens. It just seems like the arm clunks up into second... and then fall back down into neutral.

The first few times I thought it was me as this is my first bike with mid-controls. Prior to this bike I put about 35,000 miles on a 2012 FXDW Wide Glide with forward controls. I never had a single shifting issue with that bike. It was perfect every time. This new bike has been nothing but trouble trying to get it into 2nd gear. I brought it to the H-D dealership and even though I told them they need to ride it a good 20+ miles for it to start happening they told me two different techs rode it at least 5-10 miles and shifted the bike from 1st to 2nd at least 30 times each with no issue. They said they couldn't replicate the problem and the bike is a "representation of the product" meaning it performs as designed, and they sent me on my way.

I've adjusted the clutch 3 times with no improvement. Twice I did a standard 3/4 counter-clockwise back-off prior to torqueing the jam nut. Recently I only backed it off 1/2 a turn hoping to maximize clutch disengagement. Still no improvement. I'm bringing it into another dealership to see if they can replicate the issue. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Old 11-03-2018, 06:01 PM
M1chael
Advanced
Default Observed scratches

One other comment/observation. I noticed these scratches in the clutch pack at about 240 miles. This was when making the third clutch adjustment with the rod backed-out 1/2 turn instead of 3/4. Not sure if this is normal wear for a new bike or cause for alarm. The design is different than my Dyna.

Last edited by M1chael; 11-03-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 11-03-2018, 06:46 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Bring it to your dealer ASAP. It’s under warranty

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (11-04-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 06:53 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by nick@nite
Bring it to your dealer ASAP. It’s under warranty
+1...I wouldn't have even wasted my time adjusting the clutch.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
+1...I wouldn't have even wasted my time adjusting the clutch.
Did you read the OP complete post ?

Old 11-04-2018, 09:17 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Read about it theres some important info on there for ya.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:44 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

I think those scratches are where the casting was deburred at the factory. Not 100% since have not had this new design apart. However, I guess that is the SE slip and assist clutch. So be sure you are following the 2019 service manual.
Just looking at fish after finially finding one, appears something has broken if those two parts are in contact.
I can understand your motivation to fix it since what they did and the fact that it depends on certain conditions to actually act up. The clutch is mechanical enough that this should not be occurring.

If you adjust, be sure you screw in the adjuster till all play is gone and then in a few more turns pushing in clutch and deburring fine threads. Do not back off cable slack all the way. Then find no play at clutch and use lever to verify this. Lever and screw in at clutch and you will fill what I am saying. Then back off 1/2 turn if cold or 3/4 if primary is a little warm. Now, double check by bumping bike in gear to move motor and transmission.. This will reposition throw out bearing. Now recheck back off. If the same, you will know throw out bearing is ok.
Now, snug locknut and set cable free play at minimum checking at both locks of bars. Make sure primary has only proper amount of formula+ oil (up to bottom of diaphragm spring). Got to look way down in for that. That oil should also be in transmission. Others work, but none work as good thru out the various temperatures from cold to hot.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-04-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

That totally sucks, I can't believe the dealer would just brush you off without some kind of effort. I would make some noise to the service manager, then the general manager.
Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Caleb Owen (01-17-2020)
Old 11-04-2018, 07:28 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Warrant
That totally sucks, I can't believe the dealer would just brush you off without some kind of effort. I would make some noise to the service manager, then the general manager.
Good luck!
Give the dealer some slack "you can't fix what ain't broken". Until they can replicate the problem what do you expect them to do. I guess most HD critics figure that the dealerships just leave the bike in the corner, don't ride it and then tell the customer they can't replicate the issue.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:46 PM
M1chael
Advanced
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I think those scratches are where the casting was deburred at the factory. Not 100% since have not had this new design apart. However, I guess that is the SE slip and assist clutch. So be sure you are following the 2019 service manual.
Just looking at fish after finially finding one, appears something has broken if those two parts are in contact.
I can understand your motivation to fix it since what they did and the fact that it depends on certain conditions to actually act up. The clutch is mechanical enough that this should not be occurring.

If you adjust, be sure you screw in the adjuster till all play is gone and then in a few more turns pushing in clutch and deburring fine threads. Do not back off cable slack all the way. Then find no play at clutch and use lever to verify this. Lever and screw in at clutch and you will fill what I am saying. Then back off 1/2 turn if cold or 3/4 if primary is a little warm. Now, double check by bumping bike in gear to move motor and transmission.. This will reposition throw out bearing. Now recheck back off. If the same, you will know throw out bearing is ok.
Now, snug locknut and set cable free play at minimum checking at both locks of bars. Make sure primary has only proper amount of formula+ oil (up to bottom of diaphragm spring). Got to look way down in for that. That oil should also be in transmission. Others work, but none work as good thru out the various temperatures from cold to hot.
Thanks for the tips Ripsaw. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll let you guys know what happens at the other (bigger) dealership.

Quick Reply: Shifting issues w/ 2019 Street Bob