Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5000-mile Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 11:00 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I don't find anywhere in my 2018 owner's or service manual a reference to a 10k interval for engine with Syn3.

Besides the breakdown of additive package in the Syn3, there is the continual addition into the oil of combustion byproducts, which can be corrosive. The base oil may be fine after 5k, but by that time it has a lot of "stuff"added to it from the combustion, and needs to be drained and replaced. Even a 5k interval is probably too far. The manual sez change oils sooner if the bike is ridden in certain conditions, such as extreme heat, cold, stop and go, rain, dust, and whatnot. Because most of us ride in extreme conditions, it is a good idea to change more frequently. I base my interval on how I've been using the bike lately. I take the 5k interval to be a "best conditions" interval, not to be exceeded in any case. Add in a couple of extreme conditions, and the interval drops to 3k or even 2500.

I would use standard motor oil to save some money on frequent oil changes, but I ride all year long. In winter this means cold starts. That's the main reason I use synthetic, because it doesn't thicken up in cold as much as standard dino oil does. At the other extreme, it doesn't break down and vaporize as easily in heat. These are hot running engines in summer.

Last edited by KrustyKush; 11-18-2018 at 11:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 11:07 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,624 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by wardo5757
I'm not interested in an apology or going to look it up to prove anything. You can change your oil and filter every 500 miles, I don't care. But the fact is, the 5000 mile oil change interval is based on the standard SAE 20W50 standard oil, not the SAE 20w50 synthetic blend. With the synthetic blend you can extend your oil and filter interval to 10000 miles (according to HD, in reality its probably closer to 15k). The biggest advantage to synthetic oils IS its ability to not degrade between oil changes, not its viscosity.
Do you really think HD would recommend running SYN3 for 10,000 miles when they sell it for $12.95 per quart?

Anyhow:

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (11-18-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:04 AM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wengerda
If you can, remove the fuel management. When the bike gets hooked up to the computer, the computer will check your ECU and lie it did happen to me, my powertrain warranty was gone. Even though, the Harley Dealer installed the Powervision, MOCO flagged my bike and it will stay flagged for the rest of the bike life.
What dealer, I'm in the area and need to be sure I don't use them! Just need to be sure, shoot me a PM if you'd rather.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:44 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey, an oil thread!!! Awesome!!!!

Old 11-20-2018, 01:37 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by moose545
What dealer, I'm in the area and need to be sure I don't use them! Just need to be sure, shoot me a PM if you'd rather.
It doesn't matter what dealer, the dealer doesn't get a say in it. If you use an aftermarket tuner, your warranty is voided, period, whether you installed it or the dealer did or you took it to a dyno tuner.

There is nothing any dealer can do about it. The rules changed for 2017+ models.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:35 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,658 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
It doesn't matter what dealer, the dealer doesn't get a say in it. If you use an aftermarket tuner, your powertrain warranty is voided, period, whether you installed it or the dealer did or you took it to a dyno tuner.

There is nothing any dealer can do about it. The rules changed for 2017+ models.
Added that little qualifier in bold, for the sake of accuracy.....I know you know that part but others may not.

Last edited by Dynamick; 11-20-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:15 AM
Glock-45
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry guys, I didn't just walked away from mu own thread, I just been VERY busy lately.

I just decided to buy the synthetic oil and filter from the dealer, at least I gave that much satisfaction, and did the entire service myself at home since I have plenty of tools. Anyways, at the rate that I ride my bike, my warranty will be over before my 10,000-mile service.

Thanks again for all of your replies.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:35 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
It doesn't matter what dealer, the dealer doesn't get a say in it. If you use an aftermarket tuner, your warranty is voided, period, whether you installed it or the dealer did or you took it to a dyno tuner.

I agree with you about the voiding of the warranty. That also brings up a question about HOW it gets voided. If the dealer is a "look the other way" dealer, how then does the MoCo get the info to void the warranty? I'm talking about a procedure that alerts the MoCo about the tuner, or exhaust, or air cleaner.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:08 AM
EdwardToscano
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Not true, i had a stage 3 done by Harley THEN myself put on aftermarket tuner, exhaust and S&S mufflers. Blew a pushrod or something Dealer Paid the entire cost including the towing. Don’t believe all the little naysayers about this warranty stuff, most don’t have a clue what they are talking about

Old 11-22-2018, 05:45 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardToscano
Not true, i had a stage 3 done by Harley THEN myself put on aftermarket tuner, exhaust and S&S mufflers. Blew a pushrod or something Dealer Paid the entire cost including the towing. Don’t believe all the little naysayers about this warranty stuff, most don’t have a clue what they are talking about
First of all, they aren't "naysayers". And quit trying to tell newcomers here that it is OK to disregard the warnings written in the owners manual. I hope they are smart enough to not listen to your incorrect advice. You also FAILED to indicate what kind of bike your dealer "supposedly" fixed, and if it was a prior year bike to 2017 model year. You also didn't indicate if it was an aftermarket ESP that may or may not have the same guidelines as the MoCo.
So when you make a statement like you did, how about backing it up with solid information about .who the dealer is, what year and model bike you have, an what kind of warranty you have, Aftermarket ESP or MoCo ESP.
Until you do all that, I'm calling B.S. on everything you said.

Quick Reply: 5000-mile Service Question