Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Road Glie Special Stage 4 - Sumped!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:45 PM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

My bike supposedly has the latest oil pump, but does not have the new oil pump cover. I wish I had confidence that the new oil pump cover is the silver bullet, but I read on another thread were someone here may have sumped since the install of the new cover. Does anyone knkw what the success rate has been with the s&s oil pump and cam chest has been?

Old 11-13-2018, 02:46 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,244 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Can you elaborate on the external engine breather that helped stabilize the oil pressure?
If the oil breather is connected to the crankcase breather...I’m baffled how it would affect oil pressure, since it’s not on the pressure side of the oil system.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:01 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 493 Posts

I see the OP has D&D Billet Cat listed. Not good for warranty work.
I found this on D&D website

Notice:
D&D Performance Exhaust Systems are designed for closed course racing applications only. Not for use on pollution controlled vehicles.

Last edited by Redrodyankneck; 11-13-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,312 Likes on 3,302 Posts

Sorry to hear about your new Harley sumping. I hope the company stands behind the warranty. Good luck.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:46 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Good luck with getting your bike fixed OP. Sorry to hear this happened.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:58 PM
Vision
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck
I see the OP has D&D Billet Cat listed. Not good for warranty work.
I found this on D&D website

Notice:
D&D Performance Exhaust Systems are designed for closed course racing applications only. Not for use on pollution controlled vehicles.
Thank you for pointing that out.

Originally Posted by Tonebender
Sorry to hear about your new Harley sumping. I hope the company stands behind the warranty. Good luck.
Originally Posted by psyshack
Good luck with getting your bike fixed OP. Sorry to hear this happened.
Thank you Both! I hope so as well.

question for the folks with mechanic experience. Should the bike be in the sumped condition before going to Harley. I stated the bike tonight for just a bit and it seems all the oil is no back in the oil pan... What would you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Old 11-13-2018, 08:29 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Vision

Thank you for pointing that out.

Thank you Both! I hope so as well.

question for the folks with mechanic experience. Should the bike be in the sumped condition before going to Harley. I stated the bike tonight for just a bit and it seems all the oil is no back in the oil pan... What would you guys suggest?

Thanks!
Unless I missed it, you haven't said what tuner has been used on your bike. If you used an aftermarket tuner, your powertrain warranty is already void.

It may make a difference in how you want to approach it. For example, if you know for a fact that the warranty is intact, I would think you would be best served to have it sumping its guts out when you pull it into the dealership, stinking of burning oil and pouring boiling oil out the CPS, so that there is no doubt about exactly what is happening and that they cannot hide behind the classic "no problems found" routine.

On the other hand, if your warranty is voided, all repair costs are on you, and you are clearly going to want to minimize damage as much as possible.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Vision
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Unless I missed it, you haven't said what tuner has been used on your bike. If you used an aftermarket tuner, your powertrain warranty is already void.

It may make a difference in how you want to approach it. For example, if you know for a fact that the warranty is intact, I would think you would be best served to have it sumping its guts out when you pull it into the dealership, stinking of burning oil and pouring boiling oil out the CPS, so that there is no doubt about exactly what is happening and that they cannot hide behind the classic "no problems found" routine.

On the other hand, if your warranty is voided, all repair costs are on you, and you are clearly going to want to minimize damage as much as possible.
I have not mentioned it simply because my bike has a stock ECM with no traces of aftermarket flashing. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 11-13-2018, 09:59 PM
rrhemi
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Vision
To to try to get in front of this issue, I had and external engine breather installed in the summer right after receiving my bike from the dealership. This helped to stabilize the oil pressure, but I guess there were other issues at play. My stage 4 was done prior to delivery.
Are you saying your dealer installed stage 4 had oil pressure stability issues upon delivery? Did you take it back to the dealer?

Old 11-14-2018, 02:46 AM
DandSPro
Club Member
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=Vision;17824968]I have not mentioned it simply because my bike has a stock ECM with no traces of aftermarket flashing. Thanks for the suggestions![/QUOTE

How can you have a stage 4 engine without a tuner ?

Quick Reply: 2018 Road Glie Special Stage 4 - Sumped!