Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Road Glie Special Stage 4 - Sumped!

Old 11-13-2018, 09:32 AM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 2018 Road Glie Special Stage 4 - Sumped!

I was really hoping that I would not be part of the Sumping crew, but I am now a card carrying member of the club. Rode my bike Saturday and all seemed fine with the exception of a cold weather starting issue I have. Got the bike on the HWY and within minutes, she started losing power. I had to crank the RPMs up to get her to keep momemtum. When releasing the throttle, it felt like I was engine braking the bike in 4th - 6th. Got off the Hwy and could smell burning oil and noticed a vibration that I had not felt on this bike before sitting still. Pulled into a gas station and checked my oil, it barely registered.

To to try to get in front of this issue, I had and external engine breather installed in the summer right afterreceiving my bike from the dealership. This helped to stabilize the oil pressure, but I guess there were other issues at play. My stage 4 was done prior to delivery.

Limped the bike home. Will be in Harley's Hands on Wednesday when they pick it up. Smh. Wish me luck!

Old 11-13-2018, 09:52 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

You gonna have them reinstall the stage 4 when its fixed? I think the consensus is, the higher stage components may have more chance of sumping. Shouldn't the that way, but it seems to be.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:53 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Vision

To to try to get in front of this issue, I had and external engine breather installed in the summer right afterreceiving my bike from the dealership. This helped to stabilize the oil pressure,
Can you elaborate on the external engine breather that helped stabilize the oil pressure?

Old 11-13-2018, 09:59 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Make sure you take that external breather off before you take it in. Tell them you know about the new oil plate seal as well...

The following 2 users liked this post by lp:
madmat (11-13-2018), Vision (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:07 AM
Vision
Road Captain

Originally Posted by teedoff65
You gonna have them reinstall the stage 4 when its fixed? I think the consensus is, the higher stage components may have more chance of sumping. Shouldn't the that way, but it seems to be.
I was thinking about this last night. My stage 4 was a hoot! If the engine is toast and Harley somehow compensates me for the Stage 4, I will hold off and do an aftermarket kit and install an S&s oil pump and plate at the same time. At this point, I'm just curious as to how they are going to handle this. I will certainly report back once I know more.

Originally Posted by sixguns
Can you elaborate on the external engine breather that helped stabilize the oil pressure?
To the best of my ability, I was told by a builder that installing an external engine breather would at the very least, slow down the possibility of Sumping. He t'd off the engine breathers and connected it to a check valve, which went to a small catch can under my frame. He showed me the difference between the oil pressure with bike running without the check valve and after. There was a clear difference and the pressure was stabilized with the check valve vs constantly fluctuating without. I think his idea was that scavenging would be eliminated this way and keep the oil where it was supposed to be versus in the crank shaft. I wish I could tell you more, but I'm pretty new at learning this stuff.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Vision
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lp
Make sure you take that external breather off before you take it in. Tell them you know about the new oil plate seal as well...
Check!

Old 11-13-2018, 10:32 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

You have an oil pressure gauge? Do tell...

Old 11-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 172 Likes on 120 Posts

Now how did I beat Heatwave to this thread. :-).

I have an external breather too. No check valves. I get a lot of slop in my catch can.

Last edited by Msquad; 11-13-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Vision
Road Captain

Originally Posted by VDeuce
You have an oil pressure gauge? Do tell...
Builde had a gauge that he used to show me. Not on the bike

Originally Posted by Msquad
Now how did I beat Heatwave to this thread. :-).

I have an external breather too. No check valves. I get a lot of slop in my catch can.
Not much slop in mine at all, I guess the biggest benefit at this point was stopping excess oil from the air filter form splashing my right saddle bag.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:36 PM
xupd42bmg
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

If everything on your bike is HD you SHOULDN'T have any problems. If they suspect damage they'll tear it down and replace whats jacked up. But my friends bike sumped and all they did was update his oil pump and plate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Road Glie Special Stage 4 - Sumped!