Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 07:34 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,735 Likes on 2,471 Posts

I would wait for the 2020 models and see if the sumping (and other issues) has been fixed. I almost got sucked into a RKS until I heard about the teething pains so I held off.

Last edited by hellonewman; 11-17-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:42 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,516 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
I would wait for the 2020 models and see if the sumping (and other issues) has been fixed. I almost got sucked into a RKS until I heard about the teething pains so I held off.
yeah, if someone has patience, I'm off the belief it's not if but when the mono shock frame makes its way to the Touring lineup like all the others..of course it could be awhile still so there's that

Old 11-17-2018, 09:25 PM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

...if you end up doing this deal, I'd watch the final numbers real close if I were you. Alot of times dealers will say they'll give you "X amount" of dollars for a particular trade, then when you actually show up ready to do the deal, they'll want $20K from you and you're getting $8K for your bike. Not saying they all do this, but I've seen done more than a few times.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:55 PM
fatboy1017
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
So I was passing through Georgia and stopped into a dealership to buy some gloves. While there I got suckered into a test ride with the lure of a $25.00 gift card. So there I am, telling salesman that I have zero intention of buying a new motorcycle, next thing I know I'm waking up in the finance manager's office talking numbers. I told him that I have zero intention of buying a new bike, and that he would have to give me the most stupid, low, ridiculous price ever to get me even thinking about buying it. Well guess what he did :-) So here's the situation:

I currently have a 2014 SGS with 48,000 miles. It's got a little wear and tear, but it's in overall good shape. I was looking at a 2019 Ultra Limited, ~$28,000. Between my trade in and reduction in the price of the new bike, he has me out the door at $15,000 even. I also have $1,040 credit on my ESP, so I would be out the door at $13,960. Just as a comparison, a few months ago I was looking at a 2018 Ultra Limited at my local dealership. They have a great relationship with the police department that I retired from and give the officers a great deal. I have purchased both of my Harleys from them and I have been out the door at about 90% of sticker both times, so I know they take care of me. Their out the door price on the 2018 was approximately $19,000. As a comparison, the payoff on my bike is around $2,500, and was around $3,500 when I was dealing with the other dealership a few months ago.

Is this a special deal, or are the dealers hard up to sell the new bikes? I've been out of the loop for a while. What's the scoop on the 2019s? Are they plagued by bugs and mechanical issues? Are the new upgrades worth it?

Really appreciate any input.

I just did the same thing, traded in my 14 SGS with 14,000 miles in on a 19 Limited. I got the 19 for $13,000 and my bike. I had less miles than you and plenty of extras, and went with a black Limited for comparison.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:37 AM
EasyLiving
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, go for it. I got a big discount due to the late riding season. I guess too if you dress and ride like a pirate?

Old 11-18-2018, 01:56 AM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

I think the whole ESP thing as a bonus is a crock of crap'o'la......That is a separate deal, do you want ESP or not.
Get the best price on a bike you can, if that works then do the deal.
If you have to finance the deal then they got you, but do not buy into the ESP bullshit.
It is all about the law of averages, for them to cover potential cost.
The dealer gets all the money because the loss never happens. Yeah, peace of mind, blah, blah, blah.
Just my opinion......

Old 11-18-2018, 09:27 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,516 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Warrant
I think the whole ESP thing as a bonus is a crock of crap'o'la......That is a separate deal, do you want ESP or not.
Get the best price on a bike you can, if that works then do the deal.
If you have to finance the deal then they got you, but do not buy into the ESP bullshit.
It is all about the law of averages, for them to cover potential cost.
The dealer gets all the money because the loss never happens. Yeah, peace of mind, blah, blah, blah.

Just my opinion......
well the pros and cons are well understood and been debated ad nauseam here...it's a personal choice that may add value for some....we average about 15K miles a year each on ours and the repairs covered under the factory 2 year warranty already about amounted to the cost of our ESPs...seriously doubt over the next 5 years the reliability on our bikes will be like a fine wine, and only improve with age and miles

Old 11-18-2018, 02:20 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Out the door price is sometimes used incorrectly by sales people and sometimes buyers .
For me, an out the door price is the final number after all numbers for tax, tag, title and whatever fee's are tabulated.
The final number is when it comes time to write a check.
Purchasing a newer version of an operational vehicle when there is still a loan, to then acquire a new larger loan works for some but it works against others.
Having a loan forever sucks....it is a nice feeling when stuff gets paid off and there is no note.
If it is something you want and it financially works for you then all is well, but research the finance terms.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:31 PM
dbdicker
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm

Not asking for permission, more like input on whether or not 1. The 2019s are good bikes and 2. The deal I’ve been presented is a good one. I hate buying something and finding out later that I could have done better, or worse, finding out that I bought a problem prone POS.
You've convinced me -- don't get it. I don't want to pay some other guy's instantaneous devaluation, so don't ever buy new. I also don't like being part of the teething era of a new engine -- but who does? For example, I just advised my brother-in-law to look at a new leftover 2018 BMW RT, because it's carrying an extra $2K off from the factory and every dealer is trying to dump them in front of the new 1250 motor coming in 2019. I know the LC 1200 engine, I've got one in a 2015 R1200R and it's now proven -- he'll have no trouble with an '18 RT.

EXACTLY the reason I bought a 2016 Street Glide -- last year of the twin cam, goes discount to the 2017+ and whatever issues/recalls they've had are now well known.

give that M8 engine another year or so -- the seeping issue to the primary is just the worst "non-issue" issue I've heard about, and I'm not in the know at all -- but it was enough to point me to a 2016 .........

Old 11-18-2018, 08:50 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Pshaw

Just get the M8 already OP, for cryin outloud! You know you want it. It’s no big deal. Get it and live a little. Life is short.

Quick Reply: Should I do it?