Sponsored by:

My Thanksgiving Will

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:52 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
No matter how hard you try being a wonderful person that you are. You can't ruin my holiday weekend.
Not trying to ruin anything for you sir, just seems like you are always unhappy with your bike, just an idea to sell and maybe get something you could be a little happier with.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:54 PM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

Lol... Hope it works out for you.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:05 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Started the take down this afternoon.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:25 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 274 Likes on 176 Posts

So if your going with top end off, i'd be checking out the piston oiler/ gaskets & fit cometics

Also why fit another 107 set of jugs ?

Just go 117" bore job

that would cover suspect areas & a good gain for your efforts

Old 11-22-2018, 07:30 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by yobtaf103
So if your going with top end off, i'd be checking out the piston oiler/ gaskets & fit cometics

Also why fit another 107 set of jugs ?

Just go 117" bore job

that would cover suspect areas & a good gain for your efforts
The 107 parts are backups. I have no desire to go big bore on this bike. The top end is not coming off unless it has to. At this point after scoping it out I see no reason to break the head bolts. This bike has had a absurd amount of rattle clatter clatter rattle quiet, clatter clatter from the rockers. So at min. it's getting adjustable rockers, new rocker shafts, oil pump and back plate. If need be a new cam and lifters.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:58 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Got back on the bike today. Didn't work on it Thursday or Friday. Busy with life.

New adjustable rocker and rocker shafts are installed. Front exhaust was .006 diff between valves. Rear exhaust was .009 between valves and probably more under running conditions. That put the rear exhaust out of spec. Much of that was do to the rear exhaust rocker bushings being worn out. Rocker rattles on the shaft like a baby's rattle toy. Both of the intake rockers were at .002 between valves with rocker shaft bushing in good shape. Front exhaust rocker bushings were also in good shape. But that rear exhaust rocker bushings and shaft were a mess. Found the rattle and all its glory.

This pic is of the rear rocker shaft. And the brass bushing transfer. All the shafts had some rocker bushing transfer. But this was the rattler. The old rocker shaft is the old style, new updated shaft on the right. Note the cats eye relief cut on the old rocker compared to the new style.

This is the damage done to the rocker shaft mount. The threads are barely pulled and the cats eye was easy to clean up. I was greatful the rocker shafts had never been over torqued at the factory or when the engine was rebuilt at 1500 miles.

Rockers and shafts installed, setup and ready to roll.

On to the camchest. Found a surprise and normal HD BS.

Cam is on it's way out. So much for the SE8 447. Engine was rebuilt at 1600 miles buy my dealer with SE8 447 cam kit installed at that time. Chatter/Pitting can be felt on the front exhaust lobe with frosting starting up on the other lobes and lifters. Pic does not do the issue justice. But in your hands it feels and looks like crap. 13800 miles on this cam and lifters.

I had been told the oil pump had been updated twice. Turns out it has not been updated once.The back plate, bump body, cam plate and gearotors were all in very good shape. It still had the version one pump in it.

Not happy about this at all. Glad I have a newer pump and back plate on hand.

Cam chest is empty and dripping. Tensioner, sprockets, chain all look good and the o-rings were set good and in their proper place.

So the hang up now is a new cam, lifters, cuffs and a bearing tool. Know of any deals,,, LET ME KNOW!

Last edited by psyshack; 11-24-2018 at 10:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VDeuce (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Great writeup, that's interesting about the valve stem height difference

Old 11-25-2018, 05:41 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I would be having a long conversation with the dealer that rebuilt the motor at 1500 miles and never let them touch your motor again.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:36 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
So the hang up now is a new cam, lifters, cuffs and a bearing tool. Know of any deals,,, LET ME KNOW!
If you’re not in a huge hurry for the bearing tool I will loan you one, but I am about two weeks away from being able to do that. I just moved my tools back to AZ and as luck would have it the keys to one toolbox are still in Sparks awaiting the final leg of the move.

Last edited by $tonecold; 11-25-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:01 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

$tonecold that is a very good offer. And I appreciate it very much!

I went shopping last night. And no matter how I cut it. $450 to $650 for a new cam, lifters and cuff's. Mozaic Racing has a very good deal right now on a S&S 465C, Premium Lifters and cuff's for $450.51 OTD. Never heard of them and know nothing of them. So I slept on it. Woke up this morning and tossed the SE8 447 in the ultrasonic cleaner and then hit it with some 2k paper and light oil. While not perfect it cleaned up very nice! I'm going to put it back in the cam chest and call it good for right now. I have a brand new set of HD junker lifters that can finish off this cam. I know I'm being cheap. And with my luck I will regret it. But honestly,,, I'm just not in any hurry to dump more money in the King. The main reason for this tear down was to try and figure out the insane rattling the top end has and the seemingly random oil volume issue that seems to plague it. And what appears to be minor, random sumping. Oil pressure has always been good. Finding the rear exhaust rocker bushings shot goes along way in curing the insane rattle and with the valve stem clearances dealt with by the adjustable rockers on the front exhaust valves I think the valve train noise will be fixed. In a perfect world I would like to see the exhaust valve stem tolerance tighter,,, but what can one expect from Harley. The intake stem to rocker clearance was very good IMHO. With the rear rocker bushing issue fixed I bet the over all oil volume issue has been fixed also.

Here's a pic of the cam cleaned up. I may regret it.

And some more pics of the Gen 1 Oil Pump. I will be reusing the feed rotor in the new pump and back plate. No pics of the camplate. Not a mark on it and no trash or debris was found in it. It appears to be flat and round in the areas that count. If I didn't have the new oil pump I honestly wouldn't have a problem using this pump with the new back plate.