Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best warranty compliant mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:15 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not looking for a crotch rocket. If I wanted that I could get it for half the price. What drove me crazy about the new one on the test ride is the throttle lag. It feels like it does when I’m in my diesel truck waiting for the turbo to kick in when you apply the throttle. Between fixing that and shedding some of the heat, I know a good stage 2 will be needed. Doc Harley tuned both of my previous HDs and he’s a miracle worker on the Dyno, so I’ve gotten really spoiled. If it weren’t for the warranty issue he would do this one also. I’m just at a point in life where I don’t need to worry about even the potential of a warranty issue. I want to ride worry free.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:48 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 229 Likes on 143 Posts

I think the Bike will "wake up" after a few miles on it & you might find it's just fine the way it is, especially with the twin cooled motor. If the heat is too much for your liking you can go with the Street Cannons or if you're willing to spend the extra $$ go with the full SE exhaust set-up. That moves the cats back into the mufflers to get the heat away from you, to keep the warranty you'll have to use the street tuner with it's limited capabilities, but there are some tuners that have learned how to use them to get the most out of them, it seems as though the shop that did mjwebb's did a good job. You might talk to Doc & see if he'd give it a shot.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:17 PM
berniemc
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

From all I can find out from reputible tuners if TTS is put back to stock tune it cant be detected.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
Thanks for the advice guys. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not looking for a crotch rocket. If I wanted that I could get it for half the price. What drove me crazy about the new one on the test ride is the throttle lag. It feels like it does when I’m in my diesel truck waiting for the turbo to kick in when you apply the throttle. Between fixing that and shedding some of the heat, I know a good stage 2 will be needed. Doc Harley tuned both of my previous HDs and he’s a miracle worker on the Dyno, so I’ve gotten really spoiled. If it weren’t for the warranty issue he would do this one also. I’m just at a point in life where I don’t need to worry about even the potential of a warranty issue. I want to ride worry free.
I imagine within a couple months there will be stage kits for the 2019 models as well. Perhaps a stage 3 117 kit? Strange you saw a lag with 122 ft lbs of tq but then again that is just stated and when I pulled a dyno on mine the stock numbers were nothing close to the stated numbers. Yes you are somewhat limited with the SE tuner due to the EPA limits but unless you want to hotrod it will work in most cases and is does keep the warranty intact.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:19 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

SE cam is less intrusive and less costly, possibly less troublesome, than stage 3. Cam will also give it nice lope sound at idle (at least SE 447 cam did for me, with SE cannons and SEPST, to keep warranty intact)

Old 11-17-2018, 04:41 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

To stay warranty-compliant, you must not use any aftermarket tuner. All aftermarket tuners cause immediate warranty voiding. The ONLY tuner that retains the warranty is the Screaming Eagle Pro Street Tuner. No dealer can stop Harley from voiding a warranty on a bike that has used an aftermarket tuner.

If you want performance mods that keep the warranty intact, that's exactly what the Screaming Eagle Stage kits are. A Stage II can boost HP and torque by 25% or more, a Stage IV boosts HP by around 40%.

If you want to go aftermarket,.as long as the parts you use are declared by the manufacturer as EPA-compliant and have a CARB certificate, they will not affect the warranty (unless those parts fail and cause damage to otherwise warrantied parts).

There is some gray area with dealers when you are using aftermarket non-compliant parts; some dealers are willing to cheat Harley on the customer's behalf by refusing to report the mods the customer has made; other dealers will not risk it.

If you want to guarantee warranty-compliant status, go with the Screaming Eagle kits. They may not provide every last HP and ft/lb, but they do result in big performance gains and they will be warrantied and emissions compliant. If you get the Stage upgrade done before your 60th day of ownership, the parts will be added to your VIN and counted as factory original and covered under the full manufacturer 2-year warranty as well as under any extended warranty too.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,413 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
If you want to remove heat and be warranty safe about all you can do is install a HD CoolFlow fan. They do reduce the temperature the rider feels but that's about it. ANY non HD part and even several HD parts can and do void the warranty now days. If you want additional parts from HD to be added into the warranty they have to be installed by a HD dealership within 60 days of new purchase. If you go beyond that things get into an area of grey............ with HD screwing people ever chance they get out of warranties.

The following users liked this post:
jpalm (11-17-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 02:17 AM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Reduce heat is already done....way less radiant heat from the M8 engine. Do not buy into the gotta do modifications right away.
Ride the bike and enjoy it for what the factory has provided. Then any mod you do will allow you to realize the gains.
Just like social media, we buy into the hype, bigger is better. More power is the way to go.....where do we stop?
How can a stock 114 engine be good enough? My last (whatever) was so powerful.....WTF

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 08:06 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Warrant
Reduce heat is already done....way less radiant heat from the M8 engine. Do not buy into the gotta do modifications right away.
Ride the bike and enjoy it for what the factory has provided. Then any mod you do will allow you to realize the gains.
Just like social media, we buy into the hype, bigger is better. More power is the way to go.....where do we stop?
How can a stock 114 engine be good enough? My last (whatever) was so powerful.....WTF
Absolutely agree. My decatted and TTS tuned 103 doesn’t put out the numbers that the new ones do stock. I think I am leaning toward staying stock for a little while to see how it goes. Besides, it will prevent the inevitable chain of costly events: louder pipes=need to upgrade stereo=amp=speakers=Harley using it as an excuse to void the $3000 radio when it goes out. Looking to keep it simple this time. If I do end up making mods, definitely not going with really loud pipes this time.

I think im just getting old.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Originally Posted by berniemc
From all I can find out from reputible tuners if TTS is put back to stock tune it cant be detected.
Lets not be naive here. It is computer controlled. They can tell if it has been put back to stock tune.

Quick Reply: Best warranty compliant mods