Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Fat Bob 107 stage 2 - to Dyno or not???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 01:59 PM
harley2018
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2018 Fat Bob 107 stage 2 - to Dyno or not???

Hey guys,
I wanted your feedback and opinion regarding doing a dyno tune. I just recently got my bike back from Harley after they did a stage 2 upgrade. They tuned the bike there with SE tuner but not with dyno as they do not do dyno tuning. Bike is running way better then stock, some exhaust pops here and there but not all of the time. My question is. Will the cost to Dyno tune be worth it in regards to the bike performing better and getting more out of stage 2 and upgrades over the SE tune or does the SE tune come close enough? The local dyno tuner does not use the SE tuner so i would have to get another one. With dyno tune and tuner its about $800. Your thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance...

Old 11-19-2018, 04:23 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2018
Hey guys,
I wanted your feedback and opinion regarding doing a dyno tune. I just recently got my bike back from Harley after they did a stage 2 upgrade. They tuned the bike there with SE tuner but not with dyno as they do not do dyno tuning. Bike is running way better then stock, some exhaust pops here and there but not all of the time. My question is. Will the cost to Dyno tune be worth it in regards to the bike performing better and getting more out of stage 2 and upgrades over the SE tune or does the SE tune come close enough? The local dyno tuner does not use the SE tuner so i would have to get another one. With dyno tune and tuner its about $800. Your thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance...
you should try running some auto tuning sessions, $40 ish for the VCI cable, and should land you somewhere between the ecm calibration and adjustments from a competent dyno operator..probably clean up "some exhaust pops here and there but not all of the time"...I personally had my Stage 1 Dyno tuned with the SEPST which improves upon the base SEPST calibration cuz I was too lazy to mess with the hassle of auto tunes and we have really good service techs..guess what I'm saying is why not utilize the equipment you paid for to take full advantage of its capabilities before writing it off and going an alternate route spending more..you may just be really satisfied

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-19-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I agree with Webby. Give it a few hundred miles too. Your cam has to break in, and your adaptive ECU has to make adjustments to your ride habits. If you’re still not satisfied, do the auto tune runs. I’ve had Dynos on bikes in the past and they are great, but my SE Stage 2 is running very well with the basic tune. Twin Cam motors needed to be rescued from factory tunes, but the M8 is efficient enough that the factory tunes are pretty solid.

Also you bothered to have a warranty friendly mod done to your bike, if you use a different tuner you’re basically voiding your warranty and if you were going to do that you might as well have gone with a totally different cam/tuner to begin with. I’d suggest giving what you have got a full try first.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

If your warranty isn't an issue and you have a good dyno tuner then it's the cherry on top of your upgrades. I'm only speaking on my twin cam experience like these guys have said that the m8 is pretty good with factory tune. Is there more on the table ,sure. I will say the money I spent, 300 for the direct link and 600 for the tune, was the best money I've spent on the bike to date...night and day honestly. You're in a different situation and honestly if I were in your place I think I'd ride it until my warranty was up then I'd uncork it.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:52 PM
harley2018
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys all make a very valid point and yes, the stage 2 is part of the 2 year warranty. I will do what you guys have recommenced. Thank you again for your responses and informative advice.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:23 PM
lifted
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2018
Hey guys,

I recommend always getting a custom tune. You should see improvements across the board, but more importantly your A/F ratio will be correct. In my opinion, it's worth it.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (11-20-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 12:01 AM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
I agree with Webby. Give it a few hundred miles too. Your cam has to break in, and your adaptive ECU has to make adjustments to your ride habits. If you’re still not satisfied, do the auto tune runs. I’ve had Dynos on bikes in the past and they are great, but my SE Stage 2 is running very well with the basic tune. Twin Cam motors needed to be rescued from factory tunes, but the M8 is efficient enough that the factory tunes are pretty solid.

Also you bothered to have a warranty friendly mod done to your bike, if you use a different tuner you’re basically voiding your warranty and if you were going to do that you might as well have gone with a totally different cam/tuner to begin with. I’d suggest giving what you have got a full try first.
2nd that.....give it some breakin time.