Sponsored by:

bubbles in oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 11:30 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts
Default bubbles in oil

Normally I check my oil when I get home from a ride. I have to go a ways on city streets with stop and go to get home so the engine has spent some time at idle and operating at low rpms by the time I get there. I always let it idle for a minute upright and a minute on the stand before shutting it down and checking the oil. Recently I was riding on the freeway and out of curiosity I pulled into a rest stop and immediately killed the engine. I checked the oil right then and it was right at 2/3ds where it had been at the last check, but it had bubbles in it. Probably about the size of the head on a pin. Color was normal and there's no signs of water like that ugly crud accumulation. I checked it again at home per the manual and everything was fine.

Never seen bubbles in the oil before so I'm just asking more knowledgeable guys than me if that would be considered normal or something to be concerned about.

Bike is a '18 Heritage 114, ~15k miles. It's got a heavy breather intake and SE exhaust. No other mods. Mobil 1 20W-50 synthetic oil. About 1500 miles since the last change.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Mine does the same thing. Pretty normal when the oil is real hot, for me anyways.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:53 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

some frothing/aeration & nothing to worry about..wait one minute to check instead of immediately and it will settle down nicely

Old 11-21-2018, 03:58 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Perfectly normal.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:44 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,148 Likes on 3,515 Posts

Bubbles on the stick when checking per manual instruction is a good thing. It indicates that the scavenger oil pump is doing its job of getting all of the oil out of the sump. It's normal for it to pull air at that point, and that's what you see on the dipstick.

The following 2 users liked this post by strych9:
craigffb (11-21-2018), jockotwin (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Thanks!

Hey, thanks for the responses. I figured it was not a problem but don't really have the hands-on experience to know for sure. And with the actual problems that have been discussed hereabouts I didn't want to ignore it.

One less thing to worry about.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:40 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buster217
Hey, thanks for the responses. I figured it was not a problem but don't really have the hands-on experience to know for sure. And with the actual problems that have been discussed hereabouts I didn't want to ignore it.

One less thing to worry about.
don't do that! enjoy owning and riding your bike and go have some fun!...if $h!t happens it happens, gets fixed rinse and repeat as necessary..hell it may end up being the most trouble free bike ever for all you know

Old 11-21-2018, 03:01 PM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
don't do that! enjoy owning and riding your bike and go have some fun!...if $h!t happens it happens, gets fixed rinse and repeat as necessary..hell it may end up being the most trouble free bike ever for all you know
MJ you are truly comical. Nothing is an issue unless YOU have the problem. Good thing you keep your bike stock and keep your warranty and extended warranty intact. I am just waiting for the next time you cry on here cause your muffler rattles or your heat shield cracks or worse yet your 17 which is prone to sump, sumps.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:01 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by RinTin
MJ you are truly comical. Nothing is an issue unless YOU have the problem. Good thing you keep your bike stock and keep your warranty and extended warranty intact. I am just waiting for the next time you cry on here cause your muffler rattles or your heat shield cracks or worse yet your 17 which is prone to sump, sumps.
On the contrary, why does everyone who has had an issue try to scare those who haven't into believing the sky is falling? MJwebb, has always encouraged M8 owners to just enjoy their new bikes and deal with an issue if it comes their way with a warranty.

There are so many problems reported with these engines on this Forum it's hard to swallow. I still haven't ran into anyone in the "real world" with M8 issues. Not that they don't exist of course but geez how many threads do we need? This was a simple question about bubbles on the dipstick and was turned into another sumping thread.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cbyway:
mjwebb (11-21-2018), Oz Dan (11-22-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 05:27 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RinTin
got me, I stand corrected..he should worry himself sick over the list of things that are likely to happen to his new expensive bike because he read about them here!..that's what i should have said..I don't whine about things, just report them as they happen and get fixed under warranty for free btw

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-21-2018 at 05:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Heritage07 (11-22-2018)

Quick Reply: bubbles in oil