Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 03:06 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,659 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
This is one of the reasons i'm trading my '18 Breakout for a '16 Low Rider S this weekend. I don't want to void my warranty, and i don't want to wait another 18 months before i can mod the bike how i would like.
What are the other reasons? Just curious, as you always sang the praises of the new Softail frame and M8 engine.....

Old 11-22-2018, 03:18 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

12 months
Do you intend on performing any mods/upgrades on the 2016?

Old 11-22-2018, 03:46 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
What are the other reasons? Just curious, as you always sang the praises of the new Softail frame and M8 engine.....
I fell in love with it the moment i saw it. It's got some nice mods, and it doesn't need too much changing to get it how i want, and it only has 1800 miles on the clock. The Breakout was going to cost a lot more to make it what i wanted. I still love the Breakout and will be sad to see it go, but i don't need two bikes. And not that i plan on selling it, but the LRS will hold it's value better than the Breakout.

Originally Posted by aviscomi

Do you intend on performing any mods/upgrades on the 2016?
It's already modified, and i will be changing a few things.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:05 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,475 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Warrant
Any dealer performing warranty repairs is the one providing all the parts and labor required to do the repair. The dealer will then submit a claim to Harley for reimbursement, that is how it works.
This is especially true with any ESP, the original selling dealer collected that money and holds it in a fund to cover possible future warranty repairs.
Standard warranty is funded by Harley.
Either way the repairing dealer will absorb the warranty repair until reimbursement is completed with Harley.

What is warranty: a defect in materials or workmanship on the manufactures behalf.
Or MOCO will deny reimbursement for the warranty work and parts due to non compliant mods installed on the bike, thereby leaving the dealer to eat the costs of the repair....which is actually how the manufacture warranty works. I also think some ESPs may be bound by the EPA decree, but could be wrong on that.

Either way, again...the dealers have NO say so whether a warranty is denied or approved. Some are willing to eat the costs and not report the bikes out of EPA compliance, but do so at the risk of sever fines or revocation of their dealer's license.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:42 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

I fell in love with it the moment i saw it. It's got some nice mods, and it doesn't need too much changing to get it how i want, and it only has 1800 miles on the clock. The Breakout was going to cost a lot more to make it what i wanted. I still love the Breakout and will be sad to see it go, but i don't need two bikes. And not that i plan on selling it, but the LRS will hold it's value better than the Breakout.

It's already modified, and i will be changing a few things.
Modding a lower rider s actually hurts the value. I would keep all stock parts or do mods that can be easily reversed. I thought the 17+ model year warranty voiding was for the USA only?

Old 11-22-2018, 11:55 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
Modding a lower rider s actually hurts the value. I would keep all stock parts or do mods that can be easily reversed. I thought the 17+ model year warranty voiding was for the USA only?
UK owners book reads the same as the USA. It has to meet UK emission regs, or Harley can void your warranty.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:14 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

The tuner issue is only court-ordered to void the warranty in the US, as the decree was issued by US federal courts, and should not be binding in any other territory. That court order applies to 2017+ models.

Now, Harley could choose to void warranties in other territories for using a tuner, you would have to check with the local Harley division.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:59 AM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

They can void your powertrain warranty for non-Harley head pipe.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:13 PM
PadreFreddie
Cruiser

Received 129 Likes on 56 Posts
Wink Maybe some people are not meant to own Harleys...

If Harleys were cheap and easy to fix, without having to fight with the dealer and still get phucked, nobody would want them. That's what I call, "Brand Loyalty." I have friends in Spain that have paid an arm and a leg for a stock Dyna and their dealer don't guarantee ****, yet, they still ride the ***** out of them and if they break, they just fix it on their own and keep on keeping on. If you worry about the warranty all the time and that takes over the fun you could be having riding your Harley, then maybe you cannot afford it and you need to sell it and buy a Kawasaki Cruiser or some other kind of cheaper bike....just saying.....

Old 11-24-2018, 12:58 PM
royston
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
They can void your powertrain warranty for non-Harley head pipe.
Where is that written, specifically?

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Warranty Question